Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Truck Wont Start (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/299318-truck-wont-start.html)

keeperofgoal 08-01-2021 09:43 PM

Truck Wont Start

I got a 97 SR5 V6 daily driver. today i went out in the morning eveything was fine. came home did some stuff for a few hours was going back out and she wouldnt start. I had no power to anything. hooked up the jump starter had power to everything (lights ac locks etc) but just fast clicking when trying to crank. i thought starter but when i take off the jump starter i have no power at all to anything and my charger/jump starter says fully charged. Is the battery bad? Can a starter just go bad all of a sudden with no symptoms? any help is appreciated!

Skulking 08-01-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperofgoal (Post 3660731)
I got a 97 SR5 V6 daily driver. today i went out in the morning eveything was fine. came home did some stuff for a few hours was going back out and she wouldnt start. I had no power to anything. hooked up the jump starter had power to everything (lights ac locks etc) but just fast clicking when trying to crank. i thought starter but when i take off the jump starter i have no power at all to anything and my charger/jump starter says fully charged. Is the battery bad? Can a starter just go bad all of a sudden with no symptoms? any help is appreciated!

My bet is a dead battery and a weak jump box.

TravThePro 08-01-2021 09:57 PM

How old/what quality is the battery?
Is there corrosion on the battery cables?
Is the alternator charge cable tight?
Is the main power wire going to the starter tight?

Generally, clicking happens with a lack of a strong enough current. A bad battery is normally the cause of this, but I have seen bad starters do this as well.

keeperofgoal 08-01-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skulking (Post 3660733)
My bet is a dead battery and a weak jump box.

yeah my jumper is ancient but it usually works for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravThePro (Post 3660735)
How old/what quality is the battery?
Is there corrosion on the battery cables?
Is the alternator charge cable tight?
Is the main power wire going to the starter tight?

Generally, clicking happens with a lack of a strong enough current. A bad battery is normally the cause of this, but I have seen bad starters do this as well.

5 month old interstate mtp battery (i sell tons of these at my work and they do go bad now and then)
battery connections are pretty clean
both alternator and starter connections are tight

its just weird this happened so suddenly with no symptoms or intermittent issues. also that when i take the jumper off that it has no power i cant even get it. to click or do anything

Skulking 08-01-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperofgoal (Post 3660740)
yeah my jumper is ancient but it usually works for me

5 month old interstate mtp battery (i sell tons of these at my work and they do go bad now and then)
battery connections are pretty clean
both alternator and starter connections are tight

its just weird this happened so suddenly with no symptoms or intermittent issues. also that when i take the jumper off that it has no power i cant even get it. to click or do anything

Try jumping off another car, while it is running if necessary. Your jump box may be okay for a low battery, but what you are describing is a completely dead battery, and the jump box may not have enough power for that.

TravThePro 08-01-2021 11:00 PM

What is the voltage on the battery? What does it drop to with a load test?

This also sounds like a dead battery to me.

Mark_BC 08-01-2021 11:22 PM

Whack the battery terminal connection with a hammer

brillo_76 08-02-2021 07:50 AM

Either a battery, or a major short.

I have seen new batteries blow a cell and go instantly bad. Kinda rare but can happen.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

19963.4lsr5 08-02-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3660797)
Either a battery, or a major short.

I have seen new batteries blow a cell and go instantly bad. Kinda rare but can happen.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Me too. It was fine starting it and driving to my destination and went out to go home and not even a klick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brillo_76 08-02-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3660944)
Me too. It was fine starting it and driving to my destination and went out to go home and not even a klick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exact same thing to Me.. Bat voltage went to 10v or so.

phattyduck 08-02-2021 06:41 PM

Could also just be bad terminals or corrosion on them. Happened to me recently on a <1 year old battery (but original terminals).

-Charlie

HiLife 08-02-2021 07:48 PM

Happened to me last Thurs.

Been monitoring battery voltage since I been seeing the battery sides expand. Cells shorting out because of very bad roads, high temps are the killers on my batteries. I noticed voltages at the terminals went from 12.64, to 12.40 then 12.20 in about 3 weeks. Till all I got was a click when I turned the key last thurs.
Luckily I was prepared with a new battery on the side and changed the old.
Then changed out the terminal yesterday when I got a click again last Saturday. New bat voltage was still at 12.64 at the post. Wiggled the pos cable at it started.
All good so far new bat and new pos terminal.

thegipper 08-03-2021 08:18 AM

I would check your ground connections also. A bad or loose ground will have the same effect as a dead/weak battery.

keeperofgoal 08-03-2021 12:36 PM

Thank you for all the replies!

so it was a completely dead battery due to a bad draw from my aftermarket head unit (from PO). i gutted it and all the shit wiring and installed a factory radio i had lying around then charged up a battery i had lying around that i knew was good and away i was.