Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Phone mount options? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/299319-phone-mount-options.html)

Bruski 08-01-2021 11:28 PM

Phone mount options?

Looking for a solution for a solid phone mount instead of using my cup holder. Anyone have a good one? I have a pop socket in the back of my iPhone X but I think I can squeeze a magnet on the back for magnetic mounts. I don’t want a mount covering my vents for sure.

fkheath 08-01-2021 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruski (Post 3660760)
Looking for a solution for a solid phone mount instead of using my cup holder. Anyone have a good one? I have a pop socket in the back of my iPhone X but I think I can squeeze a magnet on the back for magnetic mounts. I don’t want a mount covering my vents for sure.

I have used ProClip for years on all my cars. I love them and wouldn't have anything else. ProClip USA | Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts

Yes, they do go in front of the A/C vent for the 4Runner, but that is actually a good thing for it keeps the cell phone from over heating in the sun.

The beauty of the ProClip is it comes in two parts: one that is custom fit to the vehicle, and the second is custom fit to your cell phone. Also, they are no drill clip on installation and very sturdy.

4wheeldrivesmatter 08-02-2021 01:20 AM

This phone magnet works really well and I love it. Sticks near dash, close to the clock

Have a magnet sticked to phone and a case over it and magnet still runs strong

Just doesn’t hold on well while doing the off road

Amazon.com: Trianium Magnetic Dash Car Mount Phone Holder Desk Stand Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, Huawei, Nokia, LG, Moto Smartphone, Stick-on Dashboard 3M-Adhesive Bendable Base and Metal Plate Included

AggieOE 08-02-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrivesmatter (Post 3660776)
This phone magnet works really well and I love it. Sticks near dash, close to the clock

Have a magnet sticked to phone and a case over it and magnet still runs strong

Just doesn’t hold on well while doing the off road

Amazon.com: Trianium Magnetic Dash Car Mount Phone Holder Desk Stand Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, Huawei, Nokia, LG, Moto Smartphone, Stick-on Dashboard 3M-Adhesive Bendable Base and Metal Plate Included

I use this (^^^^) one in my Jeep and love it! The only problem I had with it in the Jeep and the 4Runner is eventually the adhesive gives way. I eventually just bolted it to the dash in the Jeep since the size and placement is perfect for me.

However, in the 4Runner I couldn't find a good mounting point where it was within a finger distance with my hand still on the wheel. I eventually swapped for a 67 Designs set-up which I... somewhat like. If you end up that route, don't by the Gen 2 magnetic mount. It has no magentic power and your phone will just slide off. I just ordered a Gen 3 magnetic mount from them and am hoping that works as good as the cheap mount from Amazon since I already have the new 67 Designs base bolted to the dash.
https://i.imgur.com/zgsLLfM.jpg

meltdown 08-02-2021 02:53 PM

Phone mount options?

Lots of ideas in this thread.

2019 Current phone mount solutions?

fkheath 08-02-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AggieOE (Post 3660850)
I use this (^^^^) The only problem I had with it in the Jeep and the 4Runner is eventually the adhesive gives way. I eventually just bolted it to the dash in the Jeep since the size and placement is perfect for me.

The ProClip, mentioned earlier, has no adhesive, no bolts, no drilling or other modifications. I have never had one come off or loose.

DAW89446 08-02-2021 08:05 PM

Shirt pocket. :)

rhadam 08-02-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AggieOE (Post 3660850)
I use this (^^^^) one in my Jeep and love it! The only problem I had with it in the Jeep and the 4Runner is eventually the adhesive gives way. I eventually just bolted it to the dash in the Jeep since the size and placement is perfect for me.

However, in the 4Runner I couldn't find a good mounting point where it was within a finger distance with my hand still on the wheel. I eventually swapped for a 67 Designs set-up which I... somewhat like. If you end up that route, don't by the Gen 2 magnetic mount. It has no magentic power and your phone will just slide off. I just ordered a Gen 3 magnetic mount from them and am hoping that works as good as the cheap mount from Amazon since I already have the new 67 Designs base bolted to the dash.
[img]mg]

Can you update with how the 67 Designs Gen 3 performs? I've wanted to bolt in a 67 Mag mount but was turned off by the lack of "stick" reported by users... that's a no-go with my off-road use. If the Gen 3 sticks better, i'm ordering one.

rhadam 08-02-2021 08:59 PM

I was using the Scosche mag mount until the adhesive died during this hot ass summer we're having. During the winter it worked fantastic and the mag plate attached to my iphone 12 case wasn't really noticeable. The second it turned hot, the adhesive bit the dust and now i'm debating on drilling in a mount system. Before that I was using a RAM Mount bolted in to the dash (head unit). Works well but I get tired of the arms and where they hit on the phone side buttons. 67 Designs will likely be my next mount.

Pistol Pietro 08-02-2021 11:21 PM

Phone holder

I've been using a Lisen magnetic phone holder that I bought on Amazon for about 10 bucks. It does attach to the vent, but it sits away from the vent a couple of inches closer to me. I've had it a couple of months an so far, it has worked out great. Enough magnetic power to hold the phone while bouncing around off road, but not too much holding power to stress the vent. I keep the metal plate under a thin case on my iPhone.

AggieOE 08-03-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhadam (Post 3660998)
Can you update with how the 67 Designs Gen 3 performs? I've wanted to bolt in a 67 Mag mount but was turned off by the lack of "stick" reported by users... that's a no-go with my off-road use. If the Gen 3 sticks better, i'm ordering one.

Yeah absolutely. Just came in last night. Works great! WAY better than the G3. Magent power is about on par with the cheap $7 one from Amazon although much better mounting positions. Note that it is BIG though and takes up almost the entire back of an iPhone7. I have one of those 'LoveHandle' elastic things mounted on the far side of the back of my phone with the steel plate across the rest and it works sufficiently enough and overhangs the mount just a bit. If offroading shows this method not working, I'll just remove the elastic strap and let the whole phone contact the magnet. I know that'll work if this current set-up doesn't.
https://i.imgur.com/ONlHmyG.jpg

Looking back, I'd have done the diamond plate base, nano arm, and G3 magnet. No way I'd order a G2 for anything unless it was going to be used primarily horizontal.

Jivewalker 08-03-2021 02:56 PM

I use a pro clip with the wireless charger. Been working great for a long time.

Saker 08-03-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruski (Post 3660760)

Here is a thread previously started in regards to the same subject, it may be of some help.......

2019 Current phone mount solutions?

Space King 08-04-2021 03:35 AM

I'm using a two-part setup. A belt and suspenders solution. Engineer style. :biggrin1:

I bolt a RAM Mounts X-Grip to an ICS FAB Dash Mount platform. The ICS mount lets me secure items to it (HAM, CB, radar detector, tablet) when I need them. However, I can add, relocate or remove them as required. All without drilling new holes in my dash.

-SK

Solo4rnr 08-04-2021 11:52 AM

ram mount and ics center console