Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2019 Steering Rattle (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/299392-2019-steering-rattle.html)

FourRunner08 08-05-2021 11:06 PM

2019 Steering Rattle

Hi, All

I've had this issue since I bought it. When I hit uneven surfaces or potholes at slower speeds, my steering rattles and I get a feeling in the steering similar to the noise I hear. I recently discovered that I can shake the wheel back and forth and it does it, too. It is very annoying and if it were just a noise, I'd be cool, but it's mostly the feeling that is unsettling. I drove another 4Runner and it didn't do it. I've taken it in a few times and they state that it's "normal" and maybe that's true. All the other issues I've had resolved out, but this one is persistent. Literally the only thing wrong with my truck that I know of, I'm very happy with it, otherwise. Best vehicle I've ever owned, minus this steering.

I posted a video down below to show what I'm talking about. It literally feels right behind the steering wheel and when the vehicle rocks back and forth and the wheels are bumping around, it's knocking constantly in the steering.

Appreciate your help.

Steering Play 2019 4Runner - YouTube

KarrotJuice 08-06-2021 01:08 PM

Mine does that with the engine off. Does it do it while the engine's running?

ahtoxa11 08-06-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourRunner08 (Post 3661866)
Hi, All
When I hit uneven surfaces or potholes at slower speeds, my steering rattles and I get a feeling in the steering similar to the noise I hear. I recently discovered that I can shake the wheel back and forth and it does it, too. It is very annoying and if it were just a noise, I'd be cool, but it's mostly the feeling that is unsettling.

That sound and steering feel is normal and my 19 has done it since new as well. It's most apparent when going down a trail covered with fist-sized rocks at speed around 10-15 mph. It gets really loud then, but it's not a concern. I was researching this exact question soon after I bought mine back then.

fkheath 08-07-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourRunner08 (Post 3661866)
Hi, All

I've had this issue since I bought it. When I hit uneven surfaces or potholes at slower speeds, my steering rattles and I get a feeling in the steering similar to the noise I hear. I recently discovered that I can shake the wheel back and forth and it does it, too. It is very annoying and if it were just a noise, I'd be cool, but it's mostly the feeling that is unsettling. I drove another 4Runner and it didn't do it. I've taken it in a few times and they state that it's "normal" and maybe that's true. All the other issues I've had resolved out, but this one is persistent. Literally the only thing wrong with my truck that I know of, I'm very happy with it, otherwise. Best vehicle I've ever owned, minus this steering.

I posted a video down below to show what I'm talking about. It literally feels right behind the steering wheel and when the vehicle rocks back and forth and the wheels are bumping around, it's knocking constantly in the steering.

Appreciate your help.

Steering Play 2019 4Runner - YouTube

A noise or just movement? A noise is not normal. See Steering column rattle

My 2019 has never had a rattle (noise) no matter how wicked the off road trail. There is some movement of the steering wheel when crawling over rocks, but that would be normal.

Greydog 08-07-2021 12:55 PM

I have that as well, basically since new. It was a step down from my 300k 4th gen for sure, on a new truck.

Toyota May say it’s normal, as in most do it, but it’s caused by movement of parts that should not move in that way.

I’ve replaced inner and outer tie rods, rebuilt the UCAs, checked LCA, and wheel bearings, and sway bar components.

It’s none of those, it’s in the steering.

Next is to look at the interior steering column ujoint and the lower rag joint. I dont really thinks it’s those, the sound and feel seem to come front the exterior side of the firewall. But I’ll try to rule those out.

This gets us to the rack or the lower intermediate shaft components.

So also of note, nearly every bolt I’ve turned was barely minimum torque from the factory/new, so perhaps there is just something loose in that system.

I’ll report back.

- Mark

rocketnuts 08-09-2021 06:13 PM

Mine has been making the same noise for the past year. Only 11k miles. I've checked UCA/LCA, tie rods, sway bar connections, etc and can't find where its coming from. Something in the steering is all i can think of... I can hear it and feel it as well. It doesn't do it all of the time, but its really off-putting when a practically brand new vehicle has more rattles and clunks than my 30+ year old Volvo.

GaDawg33 09-23-2022 03:38 PM

we have a 2019 Toyota TRD Prem Edition. We've taken it back to dealership no less than 5 times with a vibration noise in steering wheel that has spread to the dash. They've taken it apart over and over and still claim its the tires. The tires are Goodyear A/T and look like what comes on it. They are in good shape and dont shake or vibrate. At this point idk what else to do, we even asked if we put new tires on it (not same brand ) once they wear do we expect same results and they claim no.

LeekT4R 09-24-2022 05:02 PM

I had this issue since new. After a lift and three different alignments it turned out to be a loose lower control arm cam bolt.

For some reason each alignment place failed to torque all 4 bolts to spec, but one of them was just over hand tight.

I torqued them all to slightly over spec and no more issues for the last 8 months.