Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What's the most effective way to get rid of smells? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/299576-whats-most-effective-way-get-rid-smells.html)

Fermn 08-13-2021 11:30 AM

What's the most effective way to get rid of smells?

Recently purchased a 2006 Tacoma as a commuter for work. The previous owner must have hot boxed the truck on a daily basis and I can't get rid of the smell.

I removed and pressure washed the carpet and the seat (its a single cab). I used detergent soap and a brush for cleaning both the carpet and the seat. The only other place where the smell might be is the headliner.

Everyone who gets in the truck says it still smells. Has anyone had a similar experice?

1jzgte 08-13-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fermn (Post 3663966)
Recently purchased a 2006 Tacoma as a commuter for work. The previous owner must have hot boxed the truck on a daily basis and I can't get rid of the smell.

I removed and pressure washed the carpet and the seat (its a single cab). I used detergent soap and a brush for cleaning both the carpet and the seat. The only other place where the smell might be is the headliner.

Everyone who gets in the truck says it still smells. Has anyone had a similar experice?

new cabin filter and one of these

Amazon.com: Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner : Automotive

save the nozzle top and hose so you can buy cheaper foam cleaners at home depot or lowes the next round

then finish off w/ something like this

Amazon.com: Armor All Car Air Freshener and Purifier - Odor Eliminator: Automotive

some might complain the smell is too strong and you may not get rid of the odor the first round

just keep at it and it'll eventually clear out

BorotHex 08-13-2021 11:47 AM

Get one of the ionizers that plug into the cig lighter. They’re like $10 these days. They will slowly break the odors down, not mask them.

fourrunnerbill 08-13-2021 11:49 AM

I had a bad mold smell in a water damaged car once and I smothered it with baking power, let it set for a few days then vacuumed it up later. Followed that up with just having a few boxes of the baking powered in the vehicle for several weeks and this really helped.

DEUS-MACH1NA 08-13-2021 11:59 AM

Rent an ozone machine and run it in the car for a day or two - they're great mold/smoke odor remediation.

ToolUser1 08-13-2021 12:27 PM

A couple years back my kids left the liftgate open while camping. Smoke from the fire blew right into the truck for what must have been hours. The interior smelled so bad I actually thought I was going to have to sell it. But I ended up trying an ozone generator from amazon, probably $60 or so, left it running in the truck overnight with all the doors & windows closed, then opened everything up and let it air out for another couple days. Smell went away completely.

If you try it just be careful with the ozone generator - it's really bad for you so don't breath the stuff.

Good luck!

lewdog998 08-13-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEUS-MACH1NA (Post 3663981)
Rent an ozone machine and run it in the car for a day or two - they're great mold/smoke odor remediation.

Correct.

auto restoration people regularly use ozone generators when prepping a used car for sale.

I have used them for fire damage smoke remediation. I have one and it works great. Ozone actually breaks down the odors.

Be careful as prolonged use can damage some fabrics etc....look it up, there is plenty of info out there as to how long you can use in a car. maybe an hour or two max. you done want it to break down the headliner adhesive.

also, do it with the car running and the AC cranking so it gets into all the duct work.

ragin_cajun 08-13-2021 12:31 PM

Ozone and a container of open baking soda will help absorb

Bossman 08-13-2021 03:13 PM

Yes, Jerry Seinfeld had this same experience, only his issue was bad BO in his BMW from the valet driver. Watch the video to see his final solution to the problem :D

SEINFELD: The worst BO (2) - YouTube

spartacus 08-13-2021 05:19 PM

Rub your favorite Laundry dryer sheets on the head liner carpet seats etc.

2Biglabs 08-13-2021 08:50 PM

Ozone machine as previously stated.

We had a person die in the apartment below us and they werent found for a few weeks. When they put her in the bodybag, she split open..... The smell was horrific. My wife actually had to stay at her mothers.

Anyway, nothing worked. Burning coffee, febreeze, etc...

Called a servepro type of company and they said buy a cheap ozone generator off amazon. I bought one, it was like $30 or so.

Ran it for about 3 days straight. Then had a huge fan to clear out the residual ozone, no more smell.

5thToy 08-13-2021 09:25 PM

Yep, for any organic based odors, it's all about the ozone generator. Kudos to those who pointed out making sure you aren't exposed to that environment and the potential to damage materials through long term exposure. Good thread.

fkheath 08-13-2021 09:40 PM

Toyota has issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) on thus issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...72826-9999.pdf

In general. it recommends two things:
1. Always leave the A/C system in the outside air mode, not recirculate, when you park. This allows any moisture that may be in the A/C system to vent and dry. If left in the A/C system, any moisture can grow smelly mold.
2. Get an odor absorbing activated carbon filter for the cabin filter. Toyota makes them for many models. I had one for my RAV4.

Finally, it recommends an A/C duct cleaning.

Other suggests in previous responses are also remedies.

5thToy 08-13-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3664083)
Toyota has issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) on thus issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...72826-9999.pdf

In general. it recommends two things:
1. Always leave the A/C system in the outside air mode, not recirculate, when you park. This allows any moisture that may be in the A/C system to vent and dry. If left in the A/C system, any moisture can grow smelly mold.
2. Get an odor absorbing activated carbon filter for the cabin filter. Toyota makes them for many models. I had one for my RAV4.

Finally, it recommends an A/C duct cleaning.

Other suggests in previous responses are also remedies.

Good call on the carbon cabin filter. I use the Lexus GX carbon filter in my 4Runner.

mrblah 08-13-2021 10:08 PM

i took up smoking and gave up showers...worked like a charm