Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Hewitt Gen-II SAIS Bypass Kits (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/299816-hewitt-gen-ii-sais-bypass-kits.html)

Lewis&Clark 08-22-2021 03:23 PM

Hewitt Gen-II SAIS Bypass Kits

If one installs this kit, does the bypass degrade performance or reliability at all? My read is there is nothing actually wrong with the SAIS, just an error in the ECM on cold starts that is bypassed by this kit.

Is that accurate?

If I install, will I be able to pass a California smog test?

Inv4drZm 08-22-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewis&Clark (Post 3666467)
If one installs this kit, does the bypass degrade performance or reliability at all? My read is there is nothing actually wrong with the SAIS, just an error in the ECM on cold starts that is bypassed by this kit.

Is that accurate?

If I install, will I be able to pass a California smog test?

Someone else can chime in with more knowledge, but the SAIS failure doesn't just cause an error code, it puts the engine in limp mode making it pretty much undriveable. So installing the kit can only increase reliability.

Lewis&Clark 08-22-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3666476)
Someone else can chime in with more knowledge, but the SAIS failure doesn't just cause an error code, it puts the engine in limp mode making it pretty much undriveable. So installing the kit can only increase reliability.

Yes of course. I should have noted that. It’s in limp mode with the codes, but I’ve already replaced the SAIS pump and filter. Can’t figure out why it’s still pushing the code and putting it in limp mode. Some reading on the forum led me to believe this is a common glitch in the ECM and this bypass kit can resolve it.

The car is worthless if it isn’t drivable. So wondering if this kit will make it usable again — and by that I mean I can drive it just fine AND be able to pass a California smog check.

AuSeeker 08-22-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewis&Clark (Post 3666504)
Yes of course. I should have noted that. It’s in limp mode with the codes, but I’ve already replaced the SAIS pump and filter. Can’t figure out why it’s still pushing the code and putting it in limp mode. Some reading on the forum led me to believe this is a common glitch in the ECM and this bypass kit can resolve it.

The car is worthless if it isn’t drivable. So wondering if this kit will make it usable again — and by that I mean I can drive it just fine AND be able to pass a California smog check.

You haven't stated which code you're having, there numerous codes related to the SAIS?

Lewis&Clark 08-22-2021 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3666526)
You haven't stated which code you're having, there numerous codes related to the SAIS?

Most recently (last Tuesday), my reader was showing P1442, P1444, and P2441. Took it to the mechanic for repairs. I didn’t look at the code when the problem returned the day after getting the repairs done; I just limped it back to the shop and left it with them. That was Saturday. They haven’t called back yet with a code or diagnosis.

AuSeeker 08-22-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewis&Clark (Post 3666556)
Most recently (last Tuesday), my reader was showing P1442, P1444, and P2441. Took it to the mechanic for repairs. I didn’t look at the code when the problem returned the day after getting the repairs done; I just limped it back to the shop and left it with them. That was Saturday. They haven’t called back yet with a code or diagnosis.

If you haven't seen this web page, maybe it will help and also answer some of the questions you have.

Hewitt-Tech | SAIS Failure & Bypass Codes

Lewis&Clark 09-06-2021 08:00 PM

Ended up not needing the bypass kit at all. Originally replaced the pump and filter, and when the problem persisted, the mechanic found some tubes that were worn out and hadn't secured very well to the new pump after they put it in. They replaced them at their cost, and the problem vanished. That was almost 1500 miles ago. Knock on wood, the problem seems to be gone.