Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2022 Trim Help! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/299904-2022-trim-help.html)

mideastbeast61 08-25-2021 10:48 PM

2022 Trim Help!

4Runner peeps, I had a question for y’all. I’m over here trying to decide between a 2022 or wait for 2023 but that’s a different conversation. If I get a 2022 here is the order of which I would consider them:

1. TRD ORP
2. Trail
3. SR5P
4. TRD OR

The first three are mostly because of the Lunar Rock color. The truck will spend 98.9% of its life on pavement. How would you go about eliminating options one by one? Any help appreciated!

02SE 08-25-2021 11:31 PM

It's all a matter of personal opinion.

I personally went with a TRD ORP, because only that model had the options I wanted.

Everyone else has their own priorities.

Do your research, and decide what you want.

AgentKooper 08-26-2021 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mideastbeast61 (Post 3667521)
4Runner peeps, I had a question for y’all. I’m over here trying to decide between a 2022 or wait for 2023 but that’s a different conversation. If I get a 2022 here is the order of which I would consider them:

1. TRD ORP
2. Trail
3. SR5P
4. TRD OR

The first three are mostly because of the Lunar Rock color. The truck will spend 98.9% of its life on pavement. How would you go about eliminating options one by one? Any help appreciated!

Number 3 doesn’t come in Lunar Rock. I’d get the ORP just to have the most capable model with the premium options, for not that much more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humble Leader 08-26-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mideastbeast61 (Post 3667521)

1. TRD ORP
2. Trail
3. SR5P
4. TRD OR

realistically, given your pavement time expectations, choice 3 makes the most sense. all 4runner models are very capable offroad in their stock forms and the premium trim will give you some of the nice to haves from the limited trim + third row option if that's important

however. if a third row is not required I would go with choice 1. you will get THE most capable 4runner model stock without needing to do very many mods. if you're going to want to rip stuff out maybe a trail makes the most sense. I would eliminate choice 4, as it's too similar to choice 1

BorotHex 08-26-2021 09:49 AM

2022 Trim Help!

I went around and around on this. At the time I had access to any model I wanted.

Ultimately I chose the SR5P because it looks better to me. I got white and blacked out the badges and rims. Looks very sporty with no fake vents or cheap painted bumpers.

We took it up in the mountains here in Colorado recently and it is far more capable as a 4WD then what I need in some of the most rugged mountains there are to drive around in. Get some better tires and maybe a couple upgraded skid plates and you’ll be amazed what ATRAC can do. I’ll never need more.

Plus I saved a lot of money that I’ll be putting on an adventure motorcycle.

All that said, I may get the TRD Pro suspension down the road.

SR5P now has the panoramic view monitor for 2022. I just don’t see any reason to spend more for an uglier truck that basically just has a locker. KDSS turned out to be something I did not want. Tried it and rejected it.

This is just rims and badges. No lift, rock sliders, tires yet.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9b0efa3827.jpg

fkheath 08-26-2021 10:35 AM

When I bought my 4Runner three years ago, I went with the SR5P for two main reasons:

1. Third row seating. I wanted the TRD ORP but my son talked me into the third row. Glad I did. The grand kids love the back row when we go off road.

2. Premium because of the Softex simulated leather seating. I hate cloth seats.

Color was not so important to me. I actually don't like the lunar rock color; it looks too much like the concrete color Toyota had a couple years ago. Back then, third row seating was very rare. I ended up with silver because that is all I could find at the time with third row seating.

As others have said, the SR5 is a very capable vehicle when going off road. I do some of the most challenging trails in western Colorado imaginable, and I have never been disappointed in the 4Runner capabilities.

Humble Leader 08-26-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3667614)
When I bought my 4Runner three years ago, I went with the SR5P for two main reasons:

1. Third row seating. I wanted the TRD ORP but my son talked me into the third row. Glad I did. The grand kids love the back row when we go off road.

2. Premium because of the Softex simulated leather seating. I hate cloth seats.

Color was not so important to me. I actually don't like the lunar rock color; it looks too much like the concrete color Toyota had a couple years ago. Back then, third row seating was very rare. I ended up with silver because that is all I could find at the time with third row seating.

As others have said, the SR5 is a very capable vehicle when going off road. I do some of the most challenging trails in western Colorado imaginable, and I have never been disappointed in the 4Runner capabilities.

having had cloth seats + a long haired dog, I will never go back after switching to leather. leather holds up fairly well too with minimal upkeep. your must have criteria were the exact same for me. third row option + leather and I was looking at SR5P and limited models

BorotHex 08-26-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humble Leader (Post 3667649)
having had cloth seats + a long haired dog, I will never go back after switching to leather. leather holds up fairly well too with minimal upkeep. your must have criteria were the exact same for me. third row option + leather and I was looking at SR5P and limited models

It’s not leather, thankfully. Softex is practically indestructible.

bergeron37 08-26-2021 03:20 PM

I am having the exact same dilemma right now. Paying $40K+ for a new car that has cloth seats does not sit well with me. I would prefer to have a sunroof as well so for me it's between the SR5 Premium and the TRD ORP. It will also spend 99% of its life on the highway but the looks of the TRD are so much better than the SR5 in my book.

I also don't need a 3rd row so it's looking more and more like the TRD ORP is the choice for me.

I suppose a happy medium would be the TRD Sport model but I don't like the limited wheels and front bumper.

L1011 08-26-2021 03:39 PM

Nothing to add here except I wish Toyota offered the 360 panoramic camera on the TRD ORP, even as an option but nope.

Humble Leader 08-26-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorotHex (Post 3667654)
It’s not leather, thankfully. Softex is practically indestructible.

does it crease like leather when it gets really worn? my leather drivers seat in my 2012 is showing some slight wear after 155k miles but is still very comfortable for me. how does that softex hold up after repeated use. I'd imagine better than leather

BorotHex 08-30-2021 09:17 AM

2022 Trim Help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humble Leader (Post 3667761)
does it crease like leather when it gets really worn? my leather drivers seat in my 2012 is showing some slight wear after 155k miles but is still very comfortable for me. how does that softex hold up after repeated use. I'd imagine better than leather

Nope. The seats are almost perfect. If they had some sort of holes to help ventilate under skin/clothing they’d be perfect. However, they’d be less indestructible. I’ll take them like they are and remain thrilled, but my wife has to put a shirt under her or she sticks to the seats.

mideastbeast61 08-30-2021 02:45 PM

Welp! I contacted dealers and none of them are willing to work, especially with the Lunar Rock color. Guess I have to wait out chip shortages etc. By that time I guess we will hear something about the 2023. Time to play it by ear I guess...

Predatorsniper2005 08-30-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentKooper (Post 3667544)
Number 3 doesn’t come in Lunar Rock. I’d get the ORP just to have the most capable model with the premium options, for not that much more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, I am ordering a ORP in Lunar Rock 2022 model next week! Can't wait!

southcarolina1801 08-31-2021 09:28 AM

I've previously had a 16' Trail and a 19' SR5 both of which were mistakenly sold but I've now landed on a 21' Limited and absolutely love it.

Yes, it definitely has a different look than the others which I don't mind but man is it a different story inside. SO MUCH nicer than my previous 4Runners, I'm not sure that I could go back.