Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Cranks fast when hot, skips. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/300036-cranks-fast-when-hot-skips.html)

DenverAirport 08-31-2021 06:29 PM

Cranks fast when hot, skips.

Hey guys. When my engine is hot (say I'm at a gas station, turn the engine off to fill up and then start the engine again) it will crank over quickly and make a faster, sputtering sound. Sometimes it will sound like it's skipping in the process. It always starts (knock on wood) but the speed of it almost made me question if there was a leaking injector or something?

Could this be a potential sign of starter failure? I'm considering ordering a rebuild kit (or a reman with the higher wattage option) as the starter looks dirty as hell and I imagine the contacts won't necessarily last forever (haven't been replaced and now at 250k miles.)

Here's a video of the sound, not the easiest thing to hear but may give some reference.

IMG 5516 - YouTube

spartacus 08-31-2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverAirport (Post 3669161)
Hey guys. When my engine is hot (say I'm at a gas station, turn the engine off to fill up and then start the engine again) it will crank over quickly and make a faster, sputtering sound. Sometimes it will sound like it's skipping in the process. It always starts (knock on wood) but the speed of it almost made me question if there was a leaking injector or something?

Could this be a potential sign of starter failure? I'm considering ordering a rebuild kit (or a reman with the higher wattage option) as the starter looks dirty as hell and I imagine the contacts won't necessarily last forever (haven't been replaced and now at 250k miles.)

Here's a video of the sound, not the easiest thing to hear but may give some reference.

IMG 5516 - YouTube

Sounds like a good start to me. Its not buzzing or screeching or clicking. Rebuilding starter is good practice and part of maintenance.

HiLife 09-01-2021 02:27 AM

Sounds like a good normal start for me too.

alumarine 09-01-2021 10:42 AM

If the motor is rotating normally while trying to start it's not the starter.

Devbot 09-01-2021 12:14 PM

Sounds normal to me

gamefreakgc 09-01-2021 05:23 PM

I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary except for that exhaust drone or whatever was going on in the background. Starting up quickly isn't a bad thing.

A bad starter will give you the opposite, a 'click' and nothing else then will start on the next try.

DenverAirport 09-01-2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3669203)
Sounds like a good start to me. Its not buzzing or screeching or clicking. Rebuilding starter is good practice and part of maintenance.

No buzzing or clicking at all. I'm going to rebuild the starter regardless for this reason -- might as well I'm going to have to do it at some point!

shadow247 09-02-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverAirport (Post 3669514)
No buzzing or clicking at all. I'm going to rebuild the starter regardless for this reason -- might as well I'm going to have to do it at some point!

Mine is the same. It starts up really quickly if I start it back up after running and being fully warmed up.

When I put a new Alternator on, it really started cranking fast. Try cleaning your battery terminals and Alternator Connection.

But everything sounds normal to me.

alumarine 09-02-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverAirport (Post 3669514)

Rebuilding a starter is only part of maintenance if it needs rebuilding.

It is NOT part of regular preventative maintenance.

DenverAirport 09-03-2021 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow247 (Post 3669591)
Mine is the same. It starts up really quickly if I start it back up after running and being fully warmed up.

When I put a new Alternator on, it really started cranking fast. Try cleaning your battery terminals and Alternator Connection.

But everything sounds normal to me.

Good to hear this. I just replaced my alternator as well + I changed my batt and terminals at the same time. I cleaned my alternator connection when swapping but it was definitely really cruddy.