Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Truck Pulls Right After Steering Rack Replacement - 2 shops can't align (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/300048-truck-pulls-right-after-steering-rack-replacement-2-shops-cant-align.html)

hungryeddy 09-01-2021 10:51 AM

Truck Pulls Right After Steering Rack Replacement - 2 shops can't align

Hey guys. Long time that I don't post but I can't find anything by searching.

So after replacing my steering rack with a brand new OEM unit, 2 different shops can't get my alignment right. They say it's 'aligned' and as close as they can get it with the lift but now it has a pretty hard pull to the right when driving.

Prior to replacing the rack the alignment was pretty spot on even with the lift.

When applying brakes, it'll stop perfectly straight. I did calipers and rotors immediately before changing the rack.

I'm going to rotate some tires this weekend to rule that out but does anyone have any other ideas of what i can check?

I don't run a sway bar.

HiLife 09-01-2021 10:58 AM

When replacing the rack only toe is being disturbed as the tie rods are attatched to the rack. Doubt you disturbed your caster/camber during rack replacement as that has more to do with the control arms.
So, the shops can't get your toe adjusted correctly??

DirtDrift 09-01-2021 12:07 PM

Check your tire pressures in both front tires just to be safe. It can pull if there’s a significant difference.

If both outer tie rods are identical (brand/model etc.), measure the amount of threads coming off the outer tie rod and make sure both sides have the same amounts of threads exposed on both sides. If the steering wheel was not held on center during replacement the rack may be shifted further to one side than the other. Even though the toe alignment may be straight, if one side has the rack shifted too far, the steering will pull. This feeling may be amplified by the lack of a sway bar.

Bad Luck 09-01-2021 03:22 PM

Do you have the alignment printouts from the shops that did the alignment? Those would be enormously helpful

the_welfare_wagon 09-01-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3669400)
Do you have the alignment printouts from the shops that did the alignment? Those would be enormously helpful

I second this. You won't really know what the problem area is till you have that sheet

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

rdruss 09-01-2021 07:48 PM

Turn your steering wheel from center to lock one way and put a piece of masking tape on steering wheel at 6 o'clock position, then turn wheel to lock in opposite direction and put a piece of masking tape at 6 o'clock position. If the two pieces of tape are far off from each other your steering wheel either wasn't centered when rack was replaced or they didn't have the rack centered when they installed it, or both!

Bad Luck 09-02-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdruss (Post 3669481)
Turn your steering wheel from center to lock one way and put a piece of masking tape on steering wheel at 6 o'clock position, then turn wheel to lock in opposite direction and put a piece of masking tape at 6 o'clock position. If the two pieces of tape are far off from each other your steering wheel either wasn't centered when rack was replaced or they didn't have the rack centered when they installed it, or both!

That's not going to cause a pull while driving though

spartacus 09-02-2021 02:20 PM

Go under the vehicle and have some one turn the steering see if you have any movement
in the rack. Put it in neutral while coasting if it no longer pulls then it could be torque steer.

junkpile 09-02-2021 02:22 PM

Toe will only cause tire wear, it will not cause a pull. The wheels could also actually be straight but the steering wheel was left off centre. So if you’ve got an actual pull to the right, then during one of the alignments one of the shops adjusted the caster or camber that’s now causing the pull. Or like you’ve suggested, tires were rotated or pressures adjusted and you now have a tire pull.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hungryeddy 09-07-2021 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
finally was able to dig this up.

https://ibb.co/Hz5rbTB

Bad Luck 09-07-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungryeddy (Post 3670768)
finally was able to dig this up.

https://ibb.co/Hz5rbTB

That's the specifications for the front suspension, but it doesn't show what your alignment measurements are. (It's not filled out.)

subzjc 09-07-2021 06:25 PM

Does anyone know if the alignment computers save the vehicle info for
awhile and he could still go ask for a print out?

OP, the alignment shop should have given you a printout of the before
measurements and the after adjustment measurements. I'm thinking it may save them for a bit.

Bad Luck 09-08-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzjc (Post 3670893)
Does anyone know if the alignment computers save the vehicle info for
awhile and he could still go ask for a print out?

OP, the alignment shop should have given you a printout of the before
measurements and the after adjustment measurements. I'm thinking it may save them for a bit.

My shop does not have the ability to save them