Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Stripped steering column bolt, any options here? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/300089-stripped-steering-column-bolt-any-options-here.html)

psyduck 09-02-2021 10:09 PM

Stripped steering column bolt, any options here?

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to fix my sloppy steering. Has about 1" of play both ways and isn't responsive especially at highway speeds. Replaced steering rack bushings so I think I need to weld the shaft and fix that plastic ball. However when attempting to remove the steering rack I just can't get a grip on this last bolt to remove it. The allen wrench just spins after a bit of force and the next size up won't fit. Do I have any options to remove this? I am a bit limited to basic tools so I think I am out of luck...

Edit: Sorry, image got uploaded sideways for some reason.

clearock 09-02-2021 11:16 PM

Use a air hammer with a bit that u can catch the edge of the bolt head to break said loose...

spartacus 09-02-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyduck (Post 3669827)
Trying to fix my sloppy steering. Has about 1" of play both ways and isn't responsive especially at highway speeds. Replaced steering rack bushings so I think I need to weld the shaft and fix that plastic ball. However when attempting to remove the steering rack I just can't get a grip on this last bolt to remove it. The allen wrench just spins after a bit of force and the next size up won't fit. Do I have any options to remove this? I am a bit limited to basic tools so I think I am out of luck...

Edit: Sorry, image got uploaded sideways for some reason.

Grind down the over size Allen key gradually while testing it for a snug fit making sure not to destort the shape of the allen wrench or use the same grinder and carefully cut a deep enough slit and use a big flat screw driver.

Devbot 09-02-2021 11:48 PM

Torx bit does the trick sometimes. Could also try going up one size in standard sizing, assuming it's metric. Might need tapped in with a hammer to work
Allen head extractors are worth their weight in gold too

Kanoe 09-03-2021 07:43 PM

Those things are pretty hard to snap loose from memory. Best to find a bit that fits it very snugly to avoid the slipping.

alumarine 09-03-2021 09:28 PM

Get a good quality sharp chisel for metal 1/4" to 1/2" wide.

Use the chisel at a 90 degree angle on the edge of the bolt head and give it a good hit with a hammer.

That will put a nice groove in the edge of the bolt head.

Then hold the chisel in that groove at a 45 degree angle and hit the chisel with the hammer and and turn the bolt out.