Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rust feedback (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/300167-rust-feedback.html)

S2kstephen 09-07-2021 12:34 PM

Rust feedback

7 Attachment(s)
Things are changing so I'm looking to sell (change of employment and location), so wanted to get a fair and honest perspective on my rig.

I know the CarFax shows some time in NY, but as a newer 4Runner owner, this looked to be pretty clean after some searching on T4R. It does show some rust on the passenger side fender at the door, but otherwise pretty clean.

Thoughts?

Bad Luck 09-07-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2kstephen (Post 3670802)
Things are changing so I'm looking to sell (change of employment and location), so wanted to get a fair and honest perspective on my rig.

I know the CarFax shows some time in NY, but as a newer 4Runner owner, this looked to be pretty clean after some searching on T4R. It does show some rust on the passenger side fender at the door, but otherwise pretty clean.

Thoughts?

That looks pretty good to me. Take a good look at the inside portion of the rear lower control arm mounts especially the passenger side one. I'd still probe around with a hammer just to make sure it's not rotted out from the inside. Doubtful, but you never know.

S2kstephen 09-07-2021 05:20 PM

I appreciate it, I'll poke around further.

jgue467 09-07-2021 06:45 PM

Yeah not Too bad considering where it spent some time.

As Bad Luck said, poke around on the trailing arm and any area with holes, still looks solid enough to be legal and safe. Luck.

theriddler 09-21-2021 03:47 AM

That frame and whole underbody looks fantastic to me and should be a strong selling point to anyone interested in buying it. I've fixed way worse, patched rusty frames, and even replaced my rear axle due to rust...this one's in excellent shape!

So how much are you asking for it? You may be surprised at what these are going for now. Looks like a nice factory rig, someone will be thrilled to own this one

S2kstephen 09-21-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theriddler (Post 3674527)
That frame and whole underbody looks fantastic to me and should be a strong selling point to anyone interested in buying it. I've fixed way worse, patched rusty frames, and even replaced my rear axle due to rust...this one's in excellent shape!

So how much are you asking for it? You may be surprised at what these are going for now. Looks like a nice factory rig, someone will be thrilled to own this one

Well it sounds like there are some real 'rust buckets' out there! And you sir, have some fantastic mechanical skills to repair at that level.

I'm not sure yet, I'm wanting to get some basic maintenance done (fluids, LBJ's, sway bar links/bushings, steering rack bushings, and all fluids), before I end up selling it.

What's the going market for 3rd gen's?

JustTroItIn 09-22-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2kstephen (Post 3674583)
What's the going market for 3rd gen's?

Well, if you look at the classifieds section here they're worth a kings ransom (kidding guys, there are some nicely modded rigs that have sold).

What are the specs on your truck?

I purchased a 2000 SR5 back in December with 154k on it for $3800. Nice running truck but it has a pretty rusty under carriage and I did have to invest a bit in basic maintenance.

I just purchased a completely stock 2000 Limited w/ 124k miles, rear locker, very clean under carriage, and very clean interior for $8500. I had been watching for another one since buying the first and this was a deal compared to everything else I had been finding in the midwest.

Your frame looks great and I have looked at a few.

S2kstephen 09-22-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustTroItIn (Post 3675060)
Well, if you look at the classifieds section here they're worth a kings ransom (kidding guys, there are some nicely modded rigs that have sold).

What are the specs on your truck?

I purchased a 2000 SR5 back in December with 154k on it for $3800. Nice running truck but it has a pretty rusty under carriage and I did have to invest a bit in basic maintenance.

I just purchased a completely stock 2000 Limited w/ 124k miles, rear locker, very clean under carriage, and very clean interior for $8500. I had been watching for another one since buying the first and this was a deal compared to everything else I had been finding in the midwest.

Your frame looks great and I have looked at a few.

When I look in the classifieds/Craigslist/Marketplace etc, it does seem that a 20yr old SUV with 200k+ are still going for $5-10k+.

Mine is a 2002 SR5, 4wd, non e-locker, 167k, that is super clean inside, but has some exterior wear and tear. Everything works, and have ~$2000k in maintenance/upgrades and all the new owners desired starting platform.

So I would guess somewhere between $8-10k?

jgue467 09-22-2021 10:15 PM

Yup start High, you can always drop a little later. Remember there's a New and Used vehicle shortage.....not to mention the already high desirability of the 3rd gens....

S2kstephen 09-23-2021 09:56 AM

Thanks to all that provided feedback :happy:

Garandman 11-01-2021 11:43 PM

Just bought a 2001 and found a rusty spot that I bet is common. Driver side, inside, next to fuel tank but forward of rear trailing arm attachment point. Hard to see or photograph but easy to feel for corrosion or holes.