Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Suspension rubbing? Bottoming? Something else (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/300298-suspension-rubbing-bottoming-something-else.html)

potatofries 09-13-2021 12:16 PM

Suspension rubbing? Bottoming? Something else

A few months ago I installed the OME Stage 1 lift kit (881 front an 890 rear). After the lift I put on 265/75/16 KO2 tires, which is about 1" larger diameter than stock, and had it aligned at Toyota dealer.

All seemed fine for first 6 weeks or so.

But now the left front sounds like its rubbing or almost like it's bottoming out the suspension any time I go over small potholes, speed bumps etc. It's definitely not actually bottoming out and the ride is otherwise fine. We aren't talking off road here. Just small driveway potholes cause this. As does basically any parking lot speed bump, even at low speed.

It also doesn't appear to be rubbing. But that's just me looking for any signs there is rubbing in the wheel well area (ie areas that aren't dirty). It also has a sound more more similar to like an overloaded car bottoming out over a speed bump sort of thing.

It's just the left front that seems to be having this issue. Anyone had this before? My instinct was maybe the suspension settled a bit and the 1" larger tires were rubbing, but I don't see any evidence of rubbing. Last week I added the 5mm spacer that came with the kit, thinking if it was rubbing that started due to settling of the suspension, this extra 5mm would make a difference. But doesn't seem to have.

Anyone had this after an OME or other lift? Any ideas of things to look for?

cl4Rk 09-13-2021 01:01 PM

Suspension rubbing? Bottoming? Something else

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatofries (Post 3672227)
265/75/16 KO2 tires

I think it’s unlikely tire rub. That size should be fine on all 3rd gens at stock height or taller. Not sure what it is, but I think you can probably rule that out.

potatofries 09-13-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl4Rk (Post 3672239)
I think it’s unlikely tire rub. That size should be fine on all 3rd gens at stock height or taller. Not sure what it is, but I think you can probably rule that out.

Thanks. Yeah I'm with you there. I see no evidence anything is rubbing.

thezentree 09-13-2021 05:42 PM

Make sure your sway bar end links and brackets are tight.

potatofries 09-15-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezentree (Post 3672325)
Make sure your sway bar end links and brackets are tight.

Checked end links and brackets. One end link was slightly loose. Torqued to spec, but this hasn’t solved the issue.