Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Still squeaking after suspension refresh (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/300407-still-squeaking-after-suspension-refresh.html)

Toystory2 09-18-2021 06:07 PM

Still squeaking after suspension refresh

My 2007 4WD had been clunking and squeaking when I would roll over a bump or hit a dip in the road.

But now that I have replaced both front upper and lower control arms, and front/rear shocks, it is still clunking!

Any idea what to check for next??

Only thing I can think of is sway bar bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aemravan 09-18-2021 06:23 PM

I mean you have both sway bars, 4 end links, tie rods, pan hard bar, and 4 links still to verify at least.

On my icon setup I just found out that the rear springs are squeaking on the upper rubber bump stop, been driving me nuts, I thought it was my custom links and heim joints but nope..

MikeinNH67 09-18-2021 06:40 PM

Definitely look/replace the sway bar bushings where it mounts to the frame. Any looseness there will give an odd thunk with certain bumps. When the control arms were installed were the frame bolts tightened with depressed shocks? They should be tightened when the car is at it's normal resting position.

Toystory2 09-18-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeinNH67 (Post 3673806)
Definitely look/replace the sway bar bushings where it mounts to the frame. Any looseness there will give an odd thunk with certain bumps. When the control arms were installed were the frame bolts tightened with depressed shocks? They should be tightened when the car is at it's normal resting position.

Thanks, it actually is more of a thunk sound… and it’s not every bump, but more of the big ones.

Come to think of it, we may have tightened the arms in without load on the suspension….

If that’s the case, how would you fix that? Undo and retighten under load?

Toystory2 09-18-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aemravan (Post 3673802)
I mean you have both sway bars, 4 end links, tie rods, pan hard bar, and 4 links still to verify at least.

On my icon setup I just found out that the rear springs are squeaking on the upper rubber bump stop, been driving me nuts, I thought it was my custom links and heim joints but nope..

Much appreciated. I’m a novice at this stuff, so not real sure what all could produce such a noise lol

I believe I have at least isolated the thunk to the front … probably driver side

Billynath1988 09-18-2021 07:43 PM

The sway bar is a well known and documented noisy point on these trucks, specifically the front..

Toystory2 09-18-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billynath1988 (Post 3673828)
The sway bar is a well known and documented noisy point on these trucks, specifically the front..

Is typically the bushings or can it be the bar itself making the clunk?

Keros 09-18-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toystory2 (Post 3673855)

If you hit a driveway approach straight on, and both wheels move together and there's no clunk, it's very likely the sway bar.

If it clunks when one wheel goes up the approach first (articulating one wheel independently) and it clunks, it's absolutely the sway bar.

Toystory2 09-18-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keros (Post 3673865)
If you hit a driveway approach straight on, and both wheels move together and there's no clunk, it's very likely the sway bar.

If it clunks when one wheel goes up the approach first (articulating one wheel independently) and it clunks, it's absolutely the sway bar.

Interesting. I’ll have to pay close attention to that. From what I have noticed, it seems to clunk more on the one wheel approach l. Definitely seems to favor the driver side.

Toystory2 09-18-2021 11:10 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...65a7000d34.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0a840b712c.jpg
Found some pics of the sway bar I took a while back. I wasn’t paying too much attention at the time, but it’s looking pretty rough. Even seeing some cracks on one side. I guess I need to start looking for a new one. I just ordered some Energy suspension bushings too.

firebirdguy 09-19-2021 11:18 AM

the "cracks" are just the paint coating, not the bar itself. you most likely dont need a new bar, just install the new bushings & see if they fix or improve the clunk & go from there.

Billynath1988 09-19-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toystory2 (Post 3673855)

Its the bushings and endlinks..

Toystory2 09-19-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdguy (Post 3673947)
the "cracks" are just the paint coating, not the bar itself. you most likely dont need a new bar, just install the new bushings & see if they fix or improve the clunk & go from there.

That’s good news, although I may just give it some kind of rustoleum paint while I’m at it.

Keros 09-19-2021 02:28 PM

If the bar is actually cracked, it will break at some point very soon. So I wouldn't worry about replacing it, it'll let you know.

The clunk is the steel bar being able to move back and forth. Normally, it's held rigidly and only able to rotate as the suspension moves up and down... doing it's job of being a linear spring. Once some play is available in the bushings it bangs around in there.

There's a huge amount of force involved in the sway bar system. I generally kill a set every couple of years. Speaking of which, mine need replaced too.

Toystory2 09-19-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keros (Post 3673997)
If the bar is actually cracked, it will break at some point very soon. So I wouldn't worry about replacing it, it'll let you know.

The clunk is the steel bar being able to move back and forth. Normally, it's held rigidly and only able to rotate as the suspension moves up and down... doing it's job of being a linear spring. Once some play is available in the bushings it bangs around in there.

There's a huge amount of force involved in the sway bar system. I generally kill a set every couple of years. Speaking of which, mine need replaced too.

That’s interesting. I didn’t suspect the sway bar initially because I didn’t think it would generate that loud of a clank. I just ordered new bushings, so I’ll take it off and give it a good check when I put those on. If it still squeaks, I guess the sway bar links are next.