Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Brand New 2021 Clicking Noise When Accelerating (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/300629-brand-new-2021-clicking-noise-when-accelerating.html)

sr1982 09-28-2021 11:49 AM

Brand New 2021 Clicking Noise When Accelerating

After years of being without a 4Runner, I jumped back into the game and bought a 2021 TRD Off Road Premium a couple weeks ago.

From the minute I drove it off the lot I noticed a clicking noise when the engine was under load. The noise kicks in around 1,700 RPM and stays constant when on the gas. The clicking does not get faster or slower it just simply goes away when letting off the gas.

I took it back into the dealership and they said it was a normal noise. I have since then drove my friends 2020 and I did not notice the noise in his.

The best way to describe the sound is the toy cars that you would pull back to "wind up". It makes that same clicking noise....

It isn't a loud noise, just very annoying. It is actually not noticeable when listening to music, but it is noticeable when it is silent or on the phone.

Any ideas?

spartacus 09-28-2021 12:15 PM

It's the Toyota tick lots of threads on here.

Engine Tapping/Ticking Noise

BorotHex 09-28-2021 12:25 PM

What’s interesting is you saying the engine at 4,000 rpm would click at the same rate as 2,000 rpm.

You sure about that?

What about relative to vehicle speed instead of engine speed?

sr1982 09-28-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3676660)
It's the Toyota tick lots of threads on here.

Engine Tapping/Ticking Noise

Yea I’ve read through a bunch of threads on the tick but this seems different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorotHex (Post 3676663)
What’s interesting is you saying the engine at 4,000 rpm would click at the same rate as 2,000 rpm.

You sure about that?

What about relative to vehicle speed instead of engine speed?

Yes the click is the same rate no matter what the RPMs are at or what speed I am going.

mo_mo 09-28-2021 02:03 PM

Pop the hood and check the cowl for debris. Might be a leaf or something trapped and rattling.

Does the clicking change with HVAC settings?

sr1982 09-28-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_mo (Post 3676702)
Pop the hood and check the cowl for debris. Might be a leaf or something trapped and rattling.

Does the clicking change with HVAC settings?

No it does not.

BorotHex 09-28-2021 02:26 PM

Dang, what runs the same speed no matter what the truck is doing?

Bmnorm2 09-28-2021 07:47 PM

There aren't many components that don't change speed with engine or vehicle... Maybe the air injection pump? I have no idea when the air injection pump runs, just brainstorming.

mo_mo 09-28-2021 08:24 PM

Maybe a pump with the new adaptive cruise type systems… sorry not up to speed on the new trick hardware.

02SE 09-28-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr1982 (Post 3676648)
After years of being without a 4Runner, I jumped back into the game and bought a 2021 TRD Off Road Premium a couple weeks ago.

From the minute I drove it off the lot I noticed a clicking noise when the engine was under load. The noise kicks in around 1,700 RPM and stays constant when on the gas. The clicking does not get faster or slower it just simply goes away when letting off the gas.

I took it back into the dealership and they said it was a normal noise. I have since then drove my friends 2020 and I did not notice the noise in his.

The best way to describe the sound is the toy cars that you would pull back to "wind up". It makes that same clicking noise....

It isn't a loud noise, just very annoying. It is actually not noticeable when listening to music, but it is noticeable when it is silent or on the phone.

Any ideas?

Without hearing it, it's just a guessing game. Even with hearing it to some extent. Any chance of making a recording?

Beyond that, any dealership should a have a competent NVH Tech.

bglfgd 09-28-2021 09:28 PM

I've got something similar but it's definitely engine speed/load dependent. Also, it's more pronounced in hot weather with AC on. Pulling a trailer, steep inclines etc I can hear a definite buzzing noise in the 2-3K rpm range, once above 3500 rpm it disappears. The weird thing is I don't remember hearing this before they did the air bag recall. It may have very well been there all along but I've never noticed it. Dealership called it normal engine noise, no surprise there. It runs fine, no codes etc so I've kinda gotten used to it. 2016 SR5, just over 66K miles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sr1982 09-29-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02SE (Post 3676827)
Without hearing it, it's just a guessing game. Even with hearing it to some extent. Any chance of making a recording?

Beyond that, any dealership should a have a competent NVH Tech.

I will try to capture the noise. At first I thought it was speaker interference, it is that faint.

I talked to another tech at the dealership and they are telling me it is a secondary pump making the noise. I am not knowledgeable on anything other than Jeep lifts, so I am not really sure what to take of this.

orcking 09-29-2021 11:07 AM

Watch Scotty Kimler channel

There is s special tool that can isolate noises

Cheap tool you can buy off Amazon..

Trial and error at this point..
If you are successful you can point the culprit to the dealer...

Bmnorm2 09-29-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr1982 (Post 3676992)
I will try to capture the noise. At first I thought it was speaker interference, it is that faint.

I talked to another tech at the dealership and they are telling me it is a secondary pump making the noise. I am not knowledgeable on anything other than Jeep lifts, so I am not really sure what to take of this.

The air injection pump (into exhaust for emissions) is the only pump i know of that runs independent of engine speed and vehicle speed. Also, it is sometimes called the "secondary air injection pump". You might be able to have a friend press the throttle in park up to 2k rpm or whatever and use a stethoscope against the air pump to see if it aligns with what you are hearing. A screwdriver to the pump and to your ear works well.

dezertbomber 09-29-2021 12:35 PM

Does it do it if just revving the engine while stationary? If so, you could have someone cycle the throttle while you go to different areas of the truck.

Re the secondary pump, is that fuel pump? If so, I could see this being the source of the sound. Maybe new evap system changes in the latest edition?