Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What differentail and transmission fluid are you using? Do you enjot it? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/300688-what-differentail-transmission-fluid-you-using-do-you-enjot.html)

CO4x499 10-01-2021 04:06 PM

What differentail and transmission fluid are you using? Do you enjot it?

I need to put new fluids in the truck and am curious what fluids everyone is running.

Jakeepoo3 10-01-2021 04:20 PM

The manual says to use 75w-85 but I use 75w-90 on both differentials and transfer case.

riverwolf 10-01-2021 05:22 PM

Mobil 75w-90 Synthetic. I'd need to check my records to confirm, but pretty sure I've got 100k+ miles on the Mobil without issues, but I don't tow or do any significant offroading (occasional beach driving and farm roads...some concrete curb hopping when needed).

FWIW, the normal service schedule suggests that Toyota considers the gear oil to be "lifetime"...not that I really believe in lifetime fluids, but gear oil would probably be one of the products closest to achieving it, IMO. I've been intending to change mine again, but like a lot of things on an 18 year old rig, it's easy to put off until another day since it still works and isn't really hurting anything... :-)

SurferUK 10-01-2021 05:27 PM

Fuchs 75W-90 Semi Synthetic Driveline Oil all round.

As I don't know if they have ever been changed before, I intend changing again in 30,000 miles or so, and might switch to fully synth then.

CarlosV 10-01-2021 06:15 PM

Valvoline 80-90 Rear diff. 2WD. 15K miles. No tow. No issues so far.

montijo505 10-01-2021 06:21 PM

Mobil 1 in the differentials and Toyota OEM WS in the tranny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phatcheeks 10-01-2021 06:39 PM

75w90 up front and transfer case. Cant remember the brand. I think front is Walmart Supertech and transfer case is Mobil 1 Delvac (good stuff).
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 in the rear because of my Spartan locker.

Transmission is a mix of Amsoil Signature Series ATF and Toyota type-iv. I have the 4speed.

Jakeepoo3 10-01-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverwolf (Post 3677662)
Mobil 75w-90 Synthetic. I'd need to check my records to confirm, but pretty sure I've got 100k+ miles on the Mobil without issues, but I don't tow or do any significant offroading (occasional beach driving and farm roads...some concrete curb hopping when needed).

FWIW, the normal service schedule suggests that Toyota considers the gear oil to be "lifetime"...not that I really believe in lifetime fluids, but gear oil would probably be one of the products closest to achieving it, IMO. I've been intending to change mine again, but like a lot of things on an 18 year old rig, it's easy to put off until another day since it still works and isn't really hurting anything... :-)

I changed mine at 100 thousand. Oil was clean and no burnt smell. Check your magnets! Fine baby powder is normal. Shavings bad!

josephp732 10-01-2021 08:49 PM

- Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 for the front and rear differentials
- Royal Purple Synchromax for the transfer case
- Ravenol ATF Automatic Transmission T-WS Lifetime Fluid for the transmission

Bagels 10-02-2021 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3677681)
Mobil 1 in the differentials and Toyota OEM WS in the tranny

This is the way

miller507 10-02-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagels (Post 3677764)
This is the way

I second this

firebirdguy 10-02-2021 12:28 PM

valvoline synthetic in front/rear dif's & xfer case.

MAXLIFE in trans... :bolt:

Tironeous 10-03-2021 01:47 AM

What differentail and transmission fluid are you using? Do you enjot it?

Mobil-1 synthetic 75w90 in diffs and T-case and Toyota ATF-WS in transmission. Not sure if they were ever done by previous owner (doubt it) so changed everything at 150k and will likely change it again in another 50k

WMU53 10-03-2021 12:09 PM

Not certain how I would enjoy transfer case oil. :wtf: Hahaha.

I use the TOYOTA brand @ $25 a quart. It has all the chemistry required to lubricate and ensure seals do their job.

When you are running off road - serious shyte man - you want the vehicle to perform without lubrication issues. Example being I use mobile grease 28 on the u joints. It is aircraft landing gear grease that it clay based. Sticks like cat shit to a blanket. After mud/water holes, gravel/tall grass and water the u joints remains greased. Ensure you use a separate grease for the sliding yokes EH!

Drcoffee 10-04-2021 08:32 AM

Changing it only once every 100k miles, I dont mind spending more for premium lube. I use Amsoil severe gear in diff, transfer and Amsoil WS trans fluid.

Gear lube $15/qt
Trans fluid was $140 for 10 qt jug (fluid exchange)