Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Front Bumper Help Needed! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/300744-front-bumper-help-needed.html)

LilGoat02 10-04-2021 06:28 PM

Front Bumper Help Needed!

Hey all! I bought a bumper awhile back that's a close comparison to the Coastal Offroad front bumper (only differences are lighting hole locations). I'm having a heck of a time getting a Badlands 9000lb bumper to fit on the winch plate without having to tear my grill all to shreds to make it fit. I know folks knock the Badlands but many have told me they use and love theirs. How the heck do ya fit it in without cutting into extra stuff? Due to dry rot lol, my grill has been broken during removal but they are going to mock it up to see if they can make this winch work. I bought it back in late winter so I can't return it. Any recommendations in terms I can understand would be greatly appreciated!

T4topher 10-04-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilGoat02 (Post 3678272)
Hey all! I bought a bumper awhile back that's a close comparison to the Coastal Offroad front bumper (only differences are lighting hole locations). I'm having a heck of a time getting a Badlands 9000lb bumper to fit on the winch plate without having to tear my grill all to shreds to make it fit. I know folks knock the Badlands but many have told me they use and love theirs. How the heck do ya fit it in without cutting into extra stuff? Due to dry rot lol, my grill has been broken during removal but they are going to mock it up to see if they can make this winch work. I bought it back in late winter so I can't return it. Any recommendations in terms I can understand would be greatly appreciated!

I had to cut into my grill originally when I mounted my smittybilt 9.5k winch.. you could relocate the control box into the engine bay or one of the wings of the bumper (that’s what I ended up doing). Some pictures would help immensely..

LilGoat02 10-04-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3678278)
I had to cut into my grill originally when I mounted my smittybilt 9.5k winch.. you could relocate the control box into the engine bay or one of the wings of the bumper (that’s what I ended up doing). Some pictures would help immensely..

If you have pics that would be awesome. I don't have any images as this is at a shop and they are closed for the day. I can certainly send them that suggestion. I'm so ignorant on this stuff, that's why I'm having a shop do it. Thank you for the reply!

Devbot 10-04-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilGoat02 (Post 3678272)
How the heck do ya fit it in without cutting into extra stuff?

Who said they did? I would double-back on your research and make sure you didn't assume this to be, cause chances are people DID but just didn't mention it or perhaps you glazed over it.
Just a suggestion though. I do understand where you're coming from; When I was getting my TNF bumper I went as far to message other users to see what winch they were using and how well it fit - had one or two people tell me they were using a Smittybilt X20 and assured me it would fit, however my SB XRC is a tad bit smaller than an X20 and has MAYBE 1cm of wiggle room in all directions, so how the hell they got theirs in there and had it fit is beyond me.
As said you're only real option is relocating the control box to a different location, or perhaps try clocking the engagement lever over one or two positions if that's what's binding. Aside from that you're pretty SOL aside from a new unit or new bumper; it's a finite amount of space and the winch can only be broken down so much. Between those options I'd cut the grille and let it be a lesson to research your decisions in the future.

T4topher 10-05-2021 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilGoat02 (Post 3678288)
If you have pics that would be awesome. I don't have any images as this is at a shop and they are closed for the day. I can certainly send them that suggestion. I'm so ignorant on this stuff, that's why I'm having a shop do it. Thank you for the reply!

I didn’t have to cut mine a whole lot but I did cut it.. I’ve seen it where a decent amount has been cut and it doesn’t look bad though.. My pic may or may not be helpful but here it is..
https://i.postimg.cc/6pRDP6Zb/295-E5...3-F7-D9-E3.jpg

Bad Luck 10-05-2021 11:33 AM

There's 2 different versions of the Coastal Offroad front bumper. One requires substantially more grille clearancing than the other.

Minimal clearancing: 3rd Gen 4Runner Closed Top Front Bumper Kit | Coastal Offroad
A lot more clearancing: 3rd Gen 4Runner High Clearance Front Bumper Kit | Coastal Offroad

thezentree 10-05-2021 01:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went the lots of clearancing route. OP if your bumper is a copy of the CO open top bumper ...get out the cutoff wheel.