Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Right front wheel locked up on me (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/300752-right-front-wheel-locked-up-me.html)

4runn34 10-05-2021 11:14 AM

Right front wheel locked up on me

Driving to work today I had the right front wheel lock up just as I was braking to pull into the parking lot. I did the Tundra Brake Upgrade a couple months ago so it seems odd the brake caliper would go bad after 2 months. Could it be something with the CV or something else? I'm planning on getting it towed after work and then taking the wheel off at home to see what's going on.

Bad Luck 10-05-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runn34 (Post 3678402)
Driving to work today I had the right front wheel lock up just as I was braking to pull into the parking lot. I did the Tundra Brake Upgrade a couple months ago so it seems odd the brake caliper would go bad after 2 months. Could it be something with the CV or something else? I'm planning on getting it towed after work and then taking the wheel off at home to see what's going on.

Most likely a bad front caliper. Could also be a collapsed brake hose.

gamefreakgc 10-05-2021 11:39 AM

Bad caliper, looks like you got a dud. Request a warranty replacement.

4runn34 10-05-2021 12:07 PM

I went out at lunch and got underneath and found the top caliper bolt was missing. So I walked back about 200 yards and found it laying on the road. Torqueing to spec is not enough apparently. When I get home I'll put loctite on all of them. I couldn't imagine having that happen at highway speeds.

spartacus 10-05-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runn34 (Post 3678418)
I went out at lunch and got underneath and found the top caliper bolt was missing. So I walked back about 200 yards and found it laying on the road. Torqueing to spec is not enough apparently. When I get home I'll put loctite on all of them. I couldn't imagine having that happen at highway speeds.

Torque is 90 ft lbs. Are you positive that you torqued it? I've never put thread locker on caliper bolts' just anti seize and have never had any issues.

Bad Luck 10-05-2021 03:53 PM

I agree with Spartacus above. I've never put loctite on any brake job I've done and I've never had a problem or a customer comeback. It's also extremely unlikely that the caliper bolt would back out if it was torqued correctly.