Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   05 speaker replacement options (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/301400-05-speaker-replacement-options.html)

baby#yota 11-06-2021 07:14 AM

05 speaker replacement options

Hi all, I’ll start this off by saying I absolutely love my T4R and the stock speakers, however it’s time to upgrade. My truck is a sr5 so no woofer or Bose audio, just normal ol speaker setup. I put in a Sony ax1000 head unit recently and it really made the sound system come alive. The stock speakers have a good midrange and good base considering I don’t have a sub. I got a little carried away with the bass boost and blew one of the speakers, serves me right.

My question is, I’m looking at getting replacement speakers that will offer that same good mid and base range I’m used to. Any suggestions? I don’t want to put in a sub because I need the cargo space so I want to just stick with 4 door speakers.

ads2539 11-06-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baby#yota (Post 3686301)
Hi all, I’ll start this off by saying I absolutely love my T4R and the stock speakers, however it’s time to upgrade. My truck is a sr5 so no woofer or Bose audio, just normal ol speaker setup. I put in a Sony ax1000 head unit recently and it really made the sound system come alive. The stock speakers have a good midrange and good base considering I don’t have a sub. I got a little carried away with the bass boost and blew one of the speakers, serves me right.

My question is, I’m looking at getting replacement speakers that will offer that same good mid and base range I’m used to. Any suggestions? I don’t want to put in a sub because I need the cargo space so I want to just stick with 4 door speakers.

I put Polk Audio DB speakers I bought from Crutchfield in all 4 doors in my 2004 4R, and I’ve been very happy with them. 6x9 coaxial front doors, 6.5” coaxial back doors. I also just put 4 Infinity speakers in my son’s Corolla, but I can’t comment on their sound quality. I’m old, so I lean towards the brands that have been around a long time, with good home audio products. For no good reason, I avoid brands like Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, etc. I look at Bose, Alpine, Polk Audio, Infinity, JBL, etc. My high end car audio stuff is all McIntosh, but they are now out of the car audio business.

I don’t know if your SR5 has separate tweeters. I bypassed all of my separate tweeters, and my speakers are wired directly from my aftermarket amp (4x100w rms). My 4R had the JBL Audio (not Bose) system, and I replaced everything, including all the wiring. My final project will be connecting the steering wheel controls to my aftermarket head unit (not plug and play).

If you’re not running an external amp, you should be fine with any of the well known speaker brands. Just make sure the speakers have high power limits. You don’t want 25wpc max speakers if you have a 25wpc amp. Many car amps have up to 1% THD, which is considered audible and horrible by home audio standards. (My McIntosh car amps have <0.005% THD at all frequencies and power levels up to rated RMS. Mass market home audio amps are usually under 0.1% THD.)

baby#yota 11-06-2021 12:10 PM

Thanks for the info, I think I misspoke about the Bose audio, some of the t4r came with JBL like you said, not Bose…whoops. Anyways I’ll look into some of those brands thanks.

riceandpho 11-07-2021 02:31 AM

consider adding a decent 4 channel amp and also a mono amp, i run 2 seperate amp vs 1 due to future upgrades, you want to do a basic sound deadener layer with the speakers you want. you can invest in a good set for the fronts, i usually run some high end stuff, but focal polyglass models are really good. that speaker alone is about 600-700 now due to supply and demand. i run new wires to the door also when i have everything apart.