Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Anyone added the TRD Start button to their 4Runner? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/301484-anyone-added-trd-start-button-their-4runner.html)

MGordo 11-09-2021 05:17 PM

Anyone added the TRD Start button to their 4Runner?

Disclaimer: I know its 'ricey' and expensive.. but seeing the Meso one, Id rather the authentic TRD one. This would be for the vehicles with keyless start, not adding keless start to a vehicle without.

Looks like the Hilux model fits plug and play:
Part # MS422-00003

5th Gen Toyota 4Runner (2014-21) Push Engine Start/Stop Red TRD Button – KTJO 4x4

Anyone tried it?

DallasTRDPro 11-09-2021 06:30 PM

I definitely wouldn't for $145

anomalous 11-09-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGordo (Post 3687189)
Disclaimer: I know its 'ricey' and expensive.. but seeing the Meso one, Id rather the authentic TRD one. This would be for the vehicles with keyless start, not adding keless start to a vehicle without.

Part # MS422-00003

5th Gen Toyota 4Runner (2014-21) Push Engine Start/Stop Red TRD Button – KTJO 4x4

Anyone tried it?

Different from what you're wanting to do, but I did add one to my 2017 4Runner non-smart key just as a push to crank button. Had the button from my other truck, so figured why not

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/2824361-post17.html

mrkothegigolo 11-10-2021 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGordo (Post 3687189)

Part # MS422-00003

Anyone tried it?

Not sure if you're commited to the TRD logo but AJT has one. It says for the Tacoma but I think it fits the 4Runner as well. I don't have it yet but I've been eyeing it. Have their Key Fob and I like it.

Products | ajt-design

PierreP4 11-10-2021 04:21 AM

I have the red Meso one in mine. It’s not the TRD one, just red with the normal start button verbiage. It’s much cheaper than buying the whole assembly. I fits just fine and looks good to me.

MGordo 11-11-2021 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I ended up ordering the TRD button and installed it tonight, looks good and took about 5-10mins to install.

sbhill5739 11-03-2023 10:47 AM

Wanted to see how you actually removed the old start button? Which panels did you have to remove to do this?

Humble Leader 11-06-2023 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbhill5739 (Post 3817790)
Wanted to see how you actually removed the old start button? Which panels did you have to remove to do this?

getting to that panel is not difficult just a lot of steps

- driver's side door sill needs to be removed (held in place using plastic clips)
- trim piece near parking brake needs to be removed (one plastic screw near the dead pedal and then pull out)
- kick panel under steering wheel can be partially removed. there are two bolts (m6 thread) that need to be removed and then you can GENTLY pull and unclip the kick panel
- left AC knob trim near radio needs to be removed
- you MAY need to remove the steering wheel plastic trim. I'm not 100% sure. car in ON position, turn wheel to left, unscrew the screw right in front of you. do the same for the right side. unclip the plastic it comes out in two pieces
- now you can pull out the push to start button trim and get to work

now you can probably do this without partially removing the steering wheel trim / steering wheel kick panel but doing so will give you more room. reassemble in reverse order

this video is for a trailer brake install but it shows you how to remove the various components. if you're new to panel popping get some extra plastic clips and a good panel tool

HOW TO | TOYOTA 4RUNNER BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL - YouTube