Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   HELP! Wires Chewed and Part is on Backorder (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/301723-help-wires-chewed-part-backorder.html)

Engi_Wade147 11-19-2021 03:22 PM

HELP! Wires Chewed and Part is on Backorder

3 Attachment(s)
The Roaring 2020s or The Absolute Garbage 2020s?

Hey yall from Texas. Got my 2014 Trail Edition here. Some SOB squirrel got into my engine bay and clipped the 3 wires you can see below. Took the truck to lamb's by my office and the poor guy cant even give me a part number from Toyota. He does know that the pigtail in question is on a 6 month backorder #killmenow

So before I go pray to a car stereo shop to find the talent to put these wires back together, I thought I would consult the all powerful forum Gods.

I'd love a part number or anyone who knows of a generic knock off that could fit in this part? The mechanic I spoke to told me the connector is too specific for this piece?

Whippersnapper02 11-19-2021 03:27 PM

They are just weatherpack connectors. The terminals can be replaced by someone competent with wiring.

5thToy 11-19-2021 03:27 PM

If the parts aren't available and given a six month lead time on the harness, I would get it on order.

Then I would get the correct gauge wire and with my wire stippers/cutters, soldering gun, solder, flux and shrink tubing I would patch the connections until the new harness comes in.

Charles Bronson 11-19-2021 03:28 PM

It's just three wires and not a mission to Mars :happy:

1) Get on Youtube and learn how to unpin the wires from the connector.

2) Get some same gauge wire, a soldering gun, and heat shrink wire insulating wrap.

3) Disconnect the battery.

4) Remove the connector and unpin the severed wires.

5) Extend the wires, solder, and insulate.

6) Re-pin into the connector.

7) Plug in the connector

8) Reattach the battery

dezertbomber 11-19-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engi_Wade147 (Post 3689770)
The Roaring 2020s or The Absolute Garbage 2020s?

Hey yall from Texas. Got my 2014 Trail Edition here. Some SOB squirrel got into my engine bay and clipped the 3 wires you can see below. Took the truck to lamb's by my office and the poor guy cant even give me a part number from Toyota. He does know that the pigtail in question is on a 6 month backorder #killmenow

So before I go pray to a car stereo shop to find the talent to put these wires back together, I thought I would consult the all powerful forum Gods.

I'd love a part number or anyone who knows of a generic knock off that could fit in this part? The mechanic I spoke to told me the connector is too specific for this piece?

Def tight, but there's enough wire left at the connector's end to connect to, just need some 22awg to fill the gap.

Fatdamon 11-19-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezertbomber (Post 3689780)
Def tight, but there's enough wire left at the connector's end to connect to, just need some 22awg to fill the gap.

I would agree. Pretty much anyone with some basic electrical tools and skillset should be able to give you a stable, safe connection while you wait for an order to come in.

Also, check a second source. "knowing" this particular component is a 6 mo backorder would be a very oddly specific knowledge to have. They may be saying that because they don't want to deal with something that is this easy to resolve or so they can charge a premium to replace it.