Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Block Heater (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/301770-block-heater.html)

fathousecat_ 11-21-2021 07:05 PM

Block Heater

Hello,

I am looking to install a block heater for the 5vz-fe. I see Katt's are out of stock. What are some other good options?

Thanks!

alumarine 11-22-2021 11:48 AM

Try Toyota part number C0140-02134

Brian. 11-22-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fathousecat_ (Post 3690250)
Hello,

I am looking to install a block heater for the 5vz-fe. I see Katt's are out of stock. What are some other good options?

Thanks!

I vastly (no, seriously, *VASTLY*) prefer a coolant heater to a "block" or oil heater. I've run a 'zerostart' brand for 17 years without failure or issue. Plugged it into a timer so that roughly an hour before first use it'd come on and heat. Worked amazingly, even down to -40.

Amazon.com: Zerostart 3309043 Circulation Tank Heater for Power Generation, Compressors, Agriculture, 3/4" Diameter Inlet/Outlet | cCSAus Approved and cULus Listed | 120 Volts | 1500 Watts : Automotive

That's basically the unit I ran, and yes there's some plumbing work involved, though there are some styles that replace a small section of the lower rad hose.

Having grown up in Wyoming with the other typical block heaters, I'll never go back to them.
That's basically the unit I ran.

fathousecat_ 11-26-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian. (Post 3690448)
I vastly (no, seriously, *VASTLY*) prefer a coolant heater to a "block" or oil heater. I've run a 'zerostart' brand for 17 years without failure or issue. Plugged it into a timer so that roughly an hour before first use it'd come on and heat. Worked amazingly, even down to -40.

Amazon.com: Zerostart 3309043 Circulation Tank Heater for Power Generation, Compressors, Agriculture, 3/4" Diameter Inlet/Outlet | cCSAus Approved and cULus Listed | 120 Volts | 1500 Watts : Automotive

That's basically the unit I ran, and yes there's some plumbing work involved, though there are some styles that replace a small section of the lower rad hose.

Having grown up in Wyoming with the other typical block heaters, I'll never go back to them.
That's basically the unit I ran.

Thanks for this. Out here in Eastern MT we get -30s for a straight month atleast.

3bears 11-26-2021 11:16 AM

having used the "Katz" brand and the toyota one, the toyota one is better.. Easier to install ( the bend is tighter so it goes in easier) and the anchor bar is better.
that said , they can go bad, and they can develop a leak with age...either brand.

Brian. 11-26-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fathousecat_ (Post 3691273)
Thanks for this. Out here in Eastern MT we get -30s for a straight month atleast.

I know all about that. :D Born/raised in Wyoming, college at MSU Bozeman (met friends from out on the eastern side of the state), folks retired to White Sulphur Springs, MT. The beauty of the coolant heater was that you had instant Cabin heat too... just don't leave your radiator open/uncovered or you'll dump all that heat in an instant.

fatherdoug 11-26-2021 12:38 PM

I have them on the 4runners, but have never used them. Yes, I also live in Eastern Montana. I think -32F is the lowest I have seen here. The engine just took a couple more times to turn over.

fathousecat_ 11-26-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatherdoug (Post 3691296)
I have them on the 4runners, but have never used them. Yes, I also live in Eastern Montana. I think -32F is the lowest I have seen here. The engine just took a couple more times to turn over.

Not such a small world after all.

3bears 04-22-2023 02:17 PM

anyone know the current TOYOTA block heater number the C0140-01234 is not available....or I cant find it. This is my 3rd 3rd gen up here in alaska. First had the toyota, 2nd had the katz brand, it was a leaker, my current one has a toyota one in it, prob since new, but it is leaking. would prefer to get the toyota one. the fit better and easier to install.
local dealer is a joke.

also pyro2134

thanks

alumarine 04-22-2023 05:23 PM

This place lists it but don't say if they have stock.
C014002134 - Toyota Heater, Block | Scarborough Toyota of Canada, Scarborough Ontario

There isn't an o-ring that you can replace?

3bears 04-22-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alumarine (Post 3793934)
This place lists it but don't say if they have stock.
C014002134 - Toyota Heater, Block | Scarborough Toyota of Canada, Scarborough Ontario

There isn't an o-ring that you can replace?

thanks for the link..will see where it goes...all my normal sources...camel back, mcgeorge..aryama say not available...maybe I need a canadian source since thats where they originally came from for the toyota...a canadian manufacture unit.

no its leaking at a casting point....where the wire plugs into the unit. when I bought this rig almost 2 years ago now....it had green prestone type antifreeze...flushed and swapped out about a week after I got it
now im looking at about 4 months of weather above freezing so want to fix it...only looses about a few ounces every 2 tanks of gas. my former 2001 ( yuck) had a katz that leaked at the o ring between it and the block.

could not figure where my toyota antifreeze was going the past few weeks...until I did an oil change...the block heater is placed just above oil filter...i imagine...that the little it was seeping hit the hot oil filter...evaporated and never hit the ground..thats why I never saw antifreeze on the ground...in the snow...oil filter had a nice coating of dried antfreeze