Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   For those who want to see the FJ come back (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/301803-those-who-want-see-fj-come-back.html)

Blue 4ever Runner 11-23-2021 10:35 AM

For those who want to see the FJ come back

Toyota FJ Cruiser Rendering Gives SUV Bold Look For New Off-Road Era

Syr4RinNC 11-25-2021 12:27 PM

They keep making it in the Middle East. Same exterior minor interior updates as you’d expect from toyota

Flyer 12-02-2021 09:00 PM

They really need to provide higher-end trims with leather options, heated seats, etc. That is the one reason I never bought one...that dark cave-like interior was awful. Well, those suicide doors did not help but you have to appeal to a larger market, one way or another.

Dangedrnser 12-03-2021 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 4ever Runner (Post 3690636)

They keep making it in the Middle East. Minor exterior and interior updates as you'd expect from toyota.

Gamma Ray 12-03-2021 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer (Post 3692766)
They really need to provide higher-end trims with leather options, heated seats, etc. That is the one reason I never bought one...that dark cave-like interior was awful. Well, those suicide doors did not help but you have to appeal to a larger market, one way or another.

As long as they don't get rid of the more basic stuff. I hate the direction cars have gone in the past number of years with everything being soft and expensive and all. I don't need all of that stuff. Never did.

Flyer 12-03-2021 10:03 AM

Not sure what "soft" is since vehicles and their trim levels don't make someone tougher or weaker but they should have Dif trim levels. It was the one reason I did not get the FJ and ordered my Rubicon from the factory with the tan leather interior, heated seats, and the better stereo.

I actually had a more basic Rubicon right before with the normal black cloth interior, and hated that dark cave-like interior feel. I probably off-road and am more physically active (I mountain bike and gravel bike 3-4 times a week and hike/snowshoe when I can) than more than 95% of FJ or Jeep owners, and I would not buy a vehicle that did not give me a nicer interior option. I would even like more luxury options and safety options on the highest trim levels but am content with the light color leather, heated steering/seats, and auto start.

I love the off-road capability but cannot get past crappy interiors in the name of function. Not sure what function those crappy black interiors serve anyway. Sometimes I wonder if they would have actually sold decently if they had at least had one good trim option for people who use them primarily as daily drivers and commuters, though I know many who would not buy one due to the rear doors, and bought X-Terras and Wranglers instead.

Gamma Ray 12-05-2021 11:41 AM

Blargh, heated seats. I didn't want that junk. It'll just be more expensive stuff to fix when it breaks. And leather? I don't need that, and I don't want to be forced to spend money on it when they're not offering anything else.

Even the current 4Runner gets blasted by the media for having a rugged plasticky interior, but I don't think it's rugged and plasticky enough. Why are the armrests and the doors so soft? I didn't need any of this. I didn't need any of the sound deadening.

More high end radio more problems. My favorite is the Kia Stinger with its radio that randomly decides to bias the sound to the rear of the car. You can't get a more simple radio. Who needs this? Just offer me a basic radio at a good price. I love the Japan exclusive stripper version of the next gen Toyota 86 in part because it has a basic two speaker setup. I don't need more!

I never needed any of the nice-nice stuff. For all the crap that the Jeep Liberty got, at least it didn't have anything I didn't need and sold for a decent price while still having decent performance. I loved the hard plastic center console and door interiors. They were no nonsense parts. It did everything I needed it to and I didn't have to spend additional money on things that I didn't need. It didn't try to make me feel like a king. It didn't massage my prostate. It got me from point A to point B and even got me out of some hairy situations on occasion. That's all I needed.

Flyer 12-05-2021 01:15 PM

Listening to that is exactly why they sold like crap and got pulled from the US market. People want options and nicer options...the base models of pretty much every truck primarily sell to work-truck buyers. The real money is made from the higher trims. When we looked at the FJ, even my wife was surprised when she saw the interior (she is less picky than me) and we then looked at the X-Terra and then the Rubicon. I ended up with the Rubicon due to two things- the ability to get the nice interior and the solid axle off-roading capability, though if the FJ has higher trims, I'd have seriously considered it.

So people want fancier trim levels...even me and my Rubicon is simply a toy for off-roading. Since 2014, it has 25K miles total. Buyers will generally not buy a super basic SUV/truck in the US....not enough to make it financially feasible for the manufacturers.

Gamma Ray 12-05-2021 05:13 PM

And that's the problem with people these days. Since so many people would rather think they're rich as hell and go into debt for the nice-nice stuff instead of getting something actually sensible, I've got to spend more on a vehicle than I otherwise would because they don't offer anything that's not nice-nice.

Have you seen base Corrolas these days? Why are they nicer than my old Jeep Liberty and arguably as nice if not nicer than a base 4Runner? :redbrick:

Dropzone 12-05-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 4ever Runner (Post 3690636)

looks like who ever drew that rendering has a thing for new broncos

QuintupleTurbo 12-06-2021 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dropzone (Post 3693360)
looks like who ever drew that rendering has a thing for new broncos

Either that, or EVs.

If the Bronco ends up being successful after the supply chain is stable, I wonder if we'll see lots of entrances from other automakers in the "boxy, utilitarian" category?

Dropzone 12-06-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuintupleTurbo (Post 3693440)
Either that, or EVs.

If the Bronco ends up being successful after the supply chain is stable, I wonder if we'll see lots of entrances from other automakers in the "boxy, utilitarian" category?

no one designs a unique vehicle any more, half of them look like clones.
I don't want to see another generation of Scion Shoe Boxes and Ford Flex.

Ripper238 12-06-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamma Ray (Post 3693262)
Blargh, heated seats. I didn't want that junk. It'll just be more expensive stuff to fix when it breaks. And leather? I don't need that, and I don't want to be forced to spend money on it when they're not offering anything else.

Even the current 4Runner gets blasted by the media for having a rugged plasticky interior, but I don't think it's rugged and plasticky enough. Why are the armrests and the doors so soft? I didn't need any of this. I didn't need any of the sound deadening.

More high end radio more problems. My favorite is the Kia Stinger with its radio that randomly decides to bias the sound to the rear of the car. You can't get a more simple radio. Who needs this? Just offer me a basic radio at a good price. I love the Japan exclusive stripper version of the next gen Toyota 86 in part because it has a basic two speaker setup. I don't need more!

I never needed any of the nice-nice stuff. For all the crap that the Jeep Liberty got, at least it didn't have anything I didn't need and sold for a decent price while still having decent performance. I loved the hard plastic center console and door interiors. They were no nonsense parts. It did everything I needed it to and I didn't have to spend additional money on things that I didn't need. It didn't try to make me feel like a king. It didn't massage my prostate. It got me from point A to point B and even got me out of some hairy situations on occasion. That's all I needed.

Well I doubt Toyota is trying to make a FJ that fits your needs only. lol

I got my 2019 4Runner because it didn't have a lot of the nanny junk others have been pushing. So I agree with you that much of what has been happening to vehicles is really unnecessary. But some things are must have common features now because so many people want or have become used to them. Like power windows, heated seats, radios with more helpful features like steering controls and even soft points/arm rests so long drives are less panful. They rarely if ever break, plus they cost almost nothing to put in since they are common for so many cars in production now. Its like how manual transmissions are going away and in many cases its cheaper to go automatic now.

Personally I am not a fan of the FJ look. But its still a great Vehicle that super capable with out going excessive in the feature department even with heated seats.

SurferUK 12-06-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamma Ray (Post 3693262)
I loved the hard plastic center console and door interiors. They were no nonsense parts. It did everything I needed it to and I didn't have to spend additional money on things that I didn't need. It didn't try to make me feel like a king. It didn't massage my prostate. It got me from point A to point B and even got me out of some hairy situations on occasion. That's all I needed.

It would be interesting to see if the hard plastic cracks in the sun like some Toyota dashboards.

Stuff like that annoys me, a soft-touch dashboard is fine if it can last as long as a normal hard plastic dashboard, it should be an "upgraded" equivalent. If it was a Maybach then yes I suppose it's essential but this is an off-road rugged truck

We have the FJ here and it was too small and too "macho-camp" for my liking.

Gamma Ray 12-06-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurferUK (Post 3693532)
It would be interesting to see if the hard plastic cracks in the sun like some Toyota dashboards.

Stuff like that annoys me, a soft-touch dashboard is fine if it can last as long as a normal hard plastic dashboard, it should be an "upgraded" equivalent. If it was a Maybach then yes I suppose it's essential but this is an off-road rugged truck

We have the FJ here and it was too small and too "macho-camp" for my liking.

I had my Jeep Liberty for 11 years, and while the hard plastic dashboard didn't crack (or any other plastic), if it did crack, I wouldn't have given a hoot.