Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear power windows struggle to close (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/301863-rear-power-windows-struggle-close.html)

Pyral 11-26-2021 04:23 PM

Rear power windows struggle to close

My rear windows (back seats) will roll down with no issues, but if I try to make them go up they will slow to a stop before they are closed. If I run over some bumps and jostle them they will move up a little before stopping again. Rolling the window up an inch at a time is a pita

It doesn't matter if I'm using the master switch on the drivers door panel or the switch in the back. Aiding the motor by pulling up on the glass has little affect. I heard from a Toyota mechanic that you can fix this by slamming the door hard and it sometimes helps free up the window mechanism, but that hasn't had an affect.

Are there any fixes or are my rear window motors toast?

FD7683 11-26-2021 04:34 PM

Spray some WD-40 silicone stuff on the window trails so it lubricates the tracks. Keep spraying until the windows work smoothly. I do this to all my cars and results always come out great. This is the cheap fix until you start diagnosing the window motor if the WD-40 doesn't fix the problem.

Bad Luck 11-26-2021 04:48 PM

Lube up the window channels with silicone spray while working the windows up and down. If that doesn't fix it then either your window motors are weak/worn or you are not getting enough current to the window motors.

Brian. 11-26-2021 05:48 PM

Friends don't let friends use WD-40 (unless they're displacing water from a distributor, in which case it's the right tool). Silicone... spray or paste, both work well, on the window tracks. Might also be some caked on grease on the regulator pivots (or rust/corrosion). Could be corrosion on the electrical leads leading to power loss and toasty wires.

Easy stuff, try the silicone first as no disassembly is needed. Then pop the door cards and check the regulator/motor/wiring if that doesn't fix it. Won't take but 20~30 minutes on the first door, and like 10 or less on the second.

Pyral 11-27-2021 06:48 AM

Went back with some WD-40 since its all I had. Window goes up slowly now but it doesn't get stuck anymore. I noticed it was quite dirty in the window track, so I'll go back with some alcohol and give it a proper clean out before using silicone spray if I can find it in a store.

Ripper238 11-27-2021 10:40 AM

Saw someone use RainX and it worked well. Ether way clean the winnow track well and use silicone.