Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Removing XREAS without draining? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/301926-removing-xreas-without-draining.html)

PJP71 11-29-2021 04:35 PM

Removing XREAS without draining?

I thought I remembered a thread showing how to do this a while back but can't find it now. Does anyone remember this or am I imagining things?

NCrunner2012 11-29-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJP71 (Post 3691963)
I thought I remembered a thread showing how to do this a while back but can't find it now. Does anyone remember this or am I imagining things?

When I removed mine I just got all 4 wheels off the ground and started ripping it out. I don't remember it leaking much. Nothing a rag and some cardboard wouldn't take care of. You'd have to disconnect it to remove anyway.

4RunnerAquasport 11-29-2021 05:39 PM

My 5th gen shot me in the face because I didn't take my time and release the pressure first lol.

Not sure how this is done, but I'm sure there is a better procedure out there.

Drcoffee 11-29-2021 08:01 PM

Almost got mine off without draining first, but the connection at the drivers wheel seized and the line snapped spraying oil on the exhaust manifold. If I had to do over, I would loosen the shock connection banjo bolt and let it drain first.

Bluesky 07 11-29-2021 11:12 PM

See the link in my sig.

smyles1632 11-30-2021 11:40 AM

If you disconnect at the check valves, there will be minimal to no leakage.

UrbanRunner651 11-30-2021 01:34 PM

Lift all 4 wheels & Presoak all of your fittings. Disconnect at the check point on the frame rail near the middle of the truck. You can then yank the system & disconnect the valves at the shock body. Manually compress them to drain the fluid.
Pressurized leaks are from not lifting the entire vehicle.

aemravan 11-30-2021 02:12 PM

probably a stupid question.. but are you removing it permanently ?

When I did my lift I undid all the lines and cut everything out, leakage was minimal compared to my typical fluid I end up with on the driveway lol.

PJP71 11-30-2021 06:27 PM

Thanks guys!:thumb: I came across some threads later which mention raising the whole truck or at least the opposite corners and disconnecting where you guys have stated. I'll be tackling this soon!