Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Toyota OKs Use of Imperfect Parts to Keep Production Going (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/302094-toyota-oks-use-imperfect-parts-keep-production-going.html)

2021nightshade4x4 12-08-2021 04:09 PM

Toyota OKs Use of Imperfect Parts to Keep Production Going

Toyota OKs Use of Imperfect Parts to Keep Production Going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whippersnapper02 12-08-2021 04:22 PM

Lol! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bmnorm2 12-08-2021 04:23 PM

Kind of a misnomer, there is no such thing as a perfect part. For the sake of conversation, let's consider a perfect part, "a part that meets print and all other design specs"

I've personally written or approved hundreds of part deviations for everything from out of dimension, alternative material, aesthetic defect, alternative part, and so many more.

My understanding of the article is they are accepting parts (likely plastic injection molded) that do not meet their surface finish/aesthetic specs if the areas that are out of spec are not visible.

From experience, I can guarantee you American automakers have been doing this for decades and more so had (they've dramatically improved in the last few years) less stringent specifications on the print and use cheap suppliers with shitty mold tools and processes.

Pedro367 12-08-2021 04:34 PM

Dammit, maybe it's time to go buy a Lincoln.

2021nightshade4x4 12-08-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmnorm2 (Post 3694184)
Kind of a misnomer, there is no such thing as a perfect part. For the sake of conversation, let's consider a perfect part, "a part that meets print and all other design specs"

I've personally written or approved hundreds of part deviations for everything from out of dimension, alternative material, aesthetic defect, alternative part, and so many more.

My understanding of the article is they are accepting parts (likely plastic injection molded) that do not meet their surface finish/aesthetic specs if the areas that are out of spec are not visible.

From experience, I can guarantee you American automakers have been doing this for decades and more so had (they've dramatically improved in the last few years) less stringent specifications on the print and use cheap suppliers with shitty mold tools and processes.

Maybe these vehicles will become collector items like defective coins.

trapshot68 12-08-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro367 (Post 3694187)

I see what you did there......:bravo:

2021nightshade4x4 12-08-2021 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro367 (Post 3694187)

Tesla or Land Rover

Humble Leader 12-08-2021 05:27 PM

RichInRidgewood approves of this thread

manofsteele2003 12-08-2021 05:46 PM

Another reason to not buy the first year Tundra.

2021nightshade4x4 12-08-2021 06:10 PM

Saw a final-year LC200 (heritage edition) listed by a dealer at $114k

Bmnorm2 12-08-2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2021nightshade4x4 (Post 3694188)
Maybe these vehicles will become collector items like defective coins.

That would be something.

Most people not in the industry don't realize that the level of quality control outside of safety related components is relatively low. Unfortunately, in some cases, Takata Airbigs, GM ignition, even safety related items have low quality control in automotive industry.

The reality is the risk is relatively low and the cost of warranty in most cases is fairly small. Essentially, the customer takes a lot of the pain and the corporate giant just pays it off like nothing. This is why a corporation that shows just a little more initiative to control quality is so loved. Hence, why people continue to buy Toyota even though they are "behind" technologically from a production standpoint (they are equal or ahead in the research department but choose not to release to production as early as competitors).

In general, most vehicle parts aren't controlled anywhere near 6 sigma (3.4 defects per million). Very well established, "off the shelf" automotive parts (think OTS bearings, seals, o-rings, fasteners, etc..) are controlled to 5-6 sigma (3.4 to 233 defects per million). Most of the other parts that are not "off the shelf" and are somewhat unique to a specific model/product/application are 3-4 sigma (6,210 to 66,807 defects per million!) or worse...

Aviation and currency are controlled to a much tighter distribution. Last i checked ~100,000 flights occur per day across the globe. If flights were at 6 sigma, the best of automotive quality, there would be 3.4 crashed flights every 10 days, 10.2 every month, 120 every year - imagine that!

scanny 12-09-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmnorm2 (Post 3694251)
Aviation and currency are controlled to a much tighter distribution. Last i checked ~100,000 flights occur per day across the globe. If flights were at 6 sigma, the best of automotive quality, there would be 3.4 crashed flights every 10 days, 10.2 every month, 120 every year - imagine that!

I don't think it's a fair comparison : ) If cars have 2 engines, duplication of all important systems and maintenance schedule as aircafts have - we probably would never heard of cars breaking on the road : )

2021nightshade4x4 12-09-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scanny (Post 3694376)
I don't think it's a fair comparison : ) If cars have 2 engines, duplication of all important systems and maintenance schedule as aircafts have - we probably would never heard of cars breaking on the road : )

Land Rover would find a way

Salvo Jimmy 12-09-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmnorm2 (Post 3694184)

Your problem is, unlike a lot of folks, reading the article, not just the headline.🤣😂😇LOL

97BlackAckCL 12-09-2021 04:10 PM

Let the recalls commence! :caked: