Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Sony XAV-AX8100 Head Unit upgrade (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/302424-sony-xav-ax8100-head-unit-upgrade.html)

Naylor99 12-26-2021 03:11 PM

Sony XAV-AX8100 Head Unit upgrade

I just ordered this as a bundle from Trail Grid Pro. My only real unhappiness with my 4Runner is the entertainment screen. The screen itself is tiny, and the lack of Apple Car Play is annoying. (I've gotten used to having it in my Corvette, and miss it when driving the T4R.)

Anyone done this?

Sony XAV-AX8100 Plug & Play Bundle | '10 - '19 4Runner

OutBreak 12-26-2021 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naylor99 (Post 3698079)
I just ordered this as a bundle from Trail Grid Pro. My only real unhappiness with my 4Runner is the entertainment screen. The screen itself is tiny, and the lack of Apple Car Play is annoying. (I've gotten used to having it in my Corvette, and miss it when driving the T4R.)

Anyone done this?

Sony XAV-AX8100 Plug & Play Bundle | '10 - '19 4Runner

Hey I just did this install last month, it was pretty straight fwd. I did have some hang ups with my anytime front/ rear backup camera but Cliff was on point when it came to support. He took the time to video call and walked me through the fix. I definitely support Trail Grid Pro, just from customer service alone they are great!

CutthroatSlam 12-26-2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutBreak (Post 3698138)
Hey I just did this install last month, it was pretty straight fwd. I did have some hang ups with my anytime front/ rear backup camera but Cliff was on point when it came to support. He took the time to video call and walked me through the fix. I definitely support Trail Grid Pro, just from customer service alone they are great!

It covers half the AC/Heater vents.

Naylor99 12-27-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Looks great!. I'll have to move my phone mount, but with Apple CarPlay on that nice new touch display, I will no longer need the phone screen to be quite so accessible.

https://i.ibb.co/SVgf2nt/IMG-8431.jpg

I understand the concern about air flow, but this phone mount covered a fair amount, and I never noticed a big difference. And I live in Texas, so there's that.

trapshot68 12-27-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Willing to clarify? I was actually going to ask them about the integration to Anytime Backup (who's always been helpful), but since you brought it up... :D

TIA.

OutBreak 12-30-2021 10:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trapshot68 (Post 3698239)
Willing to clarify? I was actually going to ask them about the integration to Anytime Backup (who's always been helpful), but since you brought it up... :D

TIA.

The integration now works flawlessly now with both my front and rear camera. A set of wires needed to be disconnected then reconnected to another set to work with the switch. It was a simple fix once cliff explained it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutthroatSlam (Post 3698160)
It covers half the AC/Heater vents.

On the vents, it does cover some of the areas. I took some better photos front and side. Not sure how worth it would be or if it would make much difference, but I have to imagine someone could 3D print some contraption that blocks the air from flowing through those portions. It doesn't bother me, nor does it seem to get to hot behind the unit if the heat is going.

jbtaco2002 02-25-2022 02:09 PM

firmware upgrade

hey all,

i bought this head unit and wondered if anyone updated Firmware? mine had 1.0 for both CPU and MCU, and i'm trying to install the latest 1.31 and it appears stuck? been at 50% on the progress bar for 20+ minutes so far.

the 3 files for the update are the only files on the thumb drive. i'm afraid to interrupt and possibly brick this thing!

HELP! lol

Cheers! 02-25-2022 03:18 PM

Interesting the kit uses pac and not maestro.

Naylor99 04-09-2022 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naylor99 (Post 3698229)
Looks great!. I'll have to move my phone mount, but with Apple CarPlay on that nice new touch display, I will no longer need the phone screen to be quite so accessible.

https://i.ibb.co/SVgf2nt/IMG-8431.jpg

I understand the concern about air flow, but this phone mount covered a fair amount, and I never noticed a big difference. And I live in Texas, so there's that.

The only issue I am having with this setup is that my Sirius is not working. Apparently there are two antenna connectors, and I connected the adapter to the wrong one. (White instead of black in my case). Problem is, I cannot find the second cable/connector behind the dash anywhere. Anyone point me to where under the dash that cable might come from? The white connector cable comes form above the air vents... if this rings a bell with anyone, please share.

The connector looks like a half dome on one end and inside you can see an antenna type round contact.

Naylor99 04-10-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naylor99 (Post 3725727)
The only issue I am having with this setup is that my Sirius is not working. Apparently there are two antenna connectors, and I connected the adapter to the wrong one. (White instead of black in my case). Problem is, I cannot find the second cable/connector behind the dash anywhere. Anyone point me to where under the dash that cable might come from? The white connector cable comes form above the air vents... if this rings a bell with anyone, please share.

The connector looks like a half dome on one end and inside you can see an antenna type round contact.

Replying to myself here in case anyone else needs it. The black connector is part of a large bundle that goes left-right just under the radio opening. I had to find it by feel. That hasn't solved my problem, but now I am connected to the right antenna cable.

osugsxr 04-10-2022 04:08 PM

what dash kit is offered with trail grid pro? Is it different than crutchfield? Also did you use the OEM brackets to be able to mount it in a lower position? I'm debating the sony 9500 ES model 10.1" screen or a 2020 + OEM with apple car play

Naylor99 04-12-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osugsxr (Post 3725864)
what dash kit is offered with trail grid pro? Is it different than crutchfield? Also did you use the OEM brackets to be able to mount it in a lower position? I'm debating the sony 9500 ES model 10.1" screen or a 2020 + OEM with apple car play

Your options are silver or charcoal. Not sure who makes it, but mine looks great. The bundle comes assembled, so it mounts where it mounts. My son did his own, using a larger screen - might be the one you mention. He's happy with it.

osugsxr 05-27-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naylor99 (Post 3726370)
Your options are silver or charcoal. Not sure who makes it, but mine looks great. The bundle comes assembled, so it mounts where it mounts. My son did his own, using a larger screen - might be the one you mention. He's happy with it.

thanks, I've been searching for awhile and think I may have found a used 8100 at $350. Ill need to pick up the necessary wiring harness for the 4runner still and metra kit. Plan is to use the lower mounting points to not cover the vents. So hopefully this purchase goes through

osugsxr 06-28-2022 08:29 AM

kept searching and may have found a used trail grid pro 8100 bundle at a good price. I'll need to purchase the back up camera wiring though since the seller has a 10-13 model. Would the maestro kit be a better buy vs using the pac system? Any benefits ? Does the 8100 have real time data on the car using the obd2 port?

I4CUTigers 06-28-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osugsxr (Post 3744084)
kept searching and may have found a used trail grid pro 8100 bundle at a good price. I'll need to purchase the back up camera wiring though since the seller has a 10-13 model. Would the maestro kit be a better buy vs using the pac system? Any benefits ? Does the 8100 have real time data on the car using the obd2 port?

My understanding is that the module (pac, instead of Maestro) that TGP uses does not do any obd2 readings. One of the reasons I built my own kit on crutchfield, with a Kenwood dnr1007xr and a maestro rr2. Just finished wiring an arb air compressor to a digital switch in the head unit with room for two more accessories. Has obd2, 4 camera inputs for my own multi terrain monitor, wireless CarPlay, and hdmi screen mirroring while on the road. I can even change factory settings like rolling down the windows with the key fob.

Very happy.