Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Snap Shades (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/302641-snap-shades.html)

Mudhorn 01-06-2022 02:53 PM

Snap Shades

4 Attachment(s)
I will start with the disclaimer this product is expensive. Alternative options exist that are much cheaper.

Snap Shades made for the 4Runner are nice. They fit perfectly and held on by magnets. The quality feels great and the magnet hood is strong. I drove at 55mph with the windows down and these stayed in place no issue. They do not interfere with the operation of the window. They fold up and have a storage bag to keep them in.

I have been using a product from Amazon that fits over the window and velcro down. It has worked well and held up (had for 2.5 years). My only issue with these is they are a little too short along the bottom due to the window vents I have installed. But much cheaper. I am going to run the combination for a bit when the newborn is on board. Plus get another set off Amazon that are slightly larger or stop being lazy and make a set (should be easy). New version that has no velcro, just elastic along the bottom.

These will serve my needs perfectly when camping and daily driving as sunshade for the kiddos. Photos of the snap shade and with the combination of both products. Again, expensive and not for everyone.

m00nrockt4r 01-09-2022 02:21 PM

thanks for the review, was looking at these comparing them to the quicksnap ones on amazon.

llDemonll 05-25-2022 09:07 PM

Any update on these? Looking to pick up a set but $100 is spendy if they haven’t worn well.

USStrongman 05-26-2022 12:33 PM

Nice option for camping and sleeping in your rig

gptoy09 05-26-2022 05:15 PM

These look like a great idea, curious on how they've held up as well.

Salvo Jimmy 05-29-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudhorn (Post 3700918)
I will start with the disclaimer this product is expensive. Alternative options exist that are much cheaper.

Snap Shades made for the 4Runner are nice. They fit perfectly and held on by magnets. The quality feels great and the magnet hood is strong. I drove at 55mph with the windows down and these stayed in place no issue. They do not interfere with the operation of the window. They fold up and have a storage bag to keep them in.

I have been using a product from Amazon that fits over the window and velcro down. It has worked well and held up (had for 2.5 years). My only issue with these is they are a little too short along the bottom due to the window vents I have installed. But much cheaper. I am going to run the combination for a bit when the newborn is on board. Plus get another set off Amazon that are slightly larger or stop being lazy and make a set (should be easy). New version that has no velcro, just elastic along the bottom.

These will serve my needs perfectly when camping and daily driving as sunshade for the kiddos. Photos of the snap shade and with the combination of both products. Again, expensive and not for everyone.

Any update on how your comparison test went????

Polargeist 05-29-2022 11:18 PM

Luno sells something similar. work well, dont velcro though.
Car Window Screens | Luno(R)

Salvo Jimmy 05-30-2022 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polargeist (Post 3736954)
Luno sells something similar. work well, dont velcro though.
Car Window Screens | Luno(R)

Link says no longer advertise for Luno???

Jrunr 05-31-2022 08:09 AM

I really like the SnapShades idea, but I really wish they had something form the front passenger window. My wife gets beat down by the sun on long drives, so that would have been perfect!

I don't want to put a "sock" version of a shade over the window either, as I just see too many possible issues...

jawkdna 06-04-2022 02:42 PM

SnapShades ordered.

Salvo Jimmy 06-04-2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawkdna (Post 3738247)
SnapShades ordered.

Please give an update when you get them installed

llDemonll 06-07-2022 10:25 AM

Agreed. Getting these for kids in the back, tired of fighting with the magnet generic cloth ones. I like that these can just pop in and out in 5 seconds instead of a minute or two each while I untangle and finesse

Someone should make an actual video of how these pop in and how snug and fitted and secure they are.

llDemonll 06-19-2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawkdna (Post 3738247)
SnapShades ordered.

These show up in the mail yet?

jawkdna 06-19-2022 04:31 PM

Nope. When I ordered it said -
"Estimated shipping date is Mid-July"

So I wait.

llDemonll 08-03-2022 03:59 PM

Mine showed up, put them in yesterday. I'll get some pictures later to add.

This is comparing them to the "standard" magnetic style shades that are more universal (we had something along the lines of: Amazon.com: Munchkin Brica Magnetic Stretch to Fit Sun Shade, Black, 2 Pack : Everything Else)

SnapShades:
  • block a lot more light than the old sunshade things we had for the kids. Not in a bad way, but you can tell that not as much sun passes through these, but they don't inhibit visibility much different. Definitely a plus.
  • fit the window itself, so there aren't any "bands" of sun that make it through areas where the shades don't cover. Definitely a plus as well.
  • substantially easier to toss in and out as needed for days where they're not needed. they "twist" up in to smaller circles and have a carry-case you can put them in. Takes maybe 10-15 seconds a window to put them in.
  • have five magnets that hold them in place. Two on the front edge, two on the top edge, one on the rear edge. they feel very secure and the actual fabric is taut unlike the old universal ones we had. they're hardly phased when windows are down, thought i wouldn't drive over 35 or so just because of the potential for wear-and-tear

There's no doubt they're expensive. I had a coupon code and still paid almost $100 for them. I am not expecting to ever have to replace them while I own this car.

All that said, mine didn't fit perfect. They fit very well, but not perfect. When I post pictures you'll see. The top corner of the window is a hair too small on the radius so it's not a perfect fit, and the trim piece that separates the fixed window from the rolling window makes it so the lower portion of the shade can't sit in the channel between the door panel and the window rubber which is a bummer.