Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Maintenance/Detailing (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/)
-   -   Who makes the most durable CV boots? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/303150-who-makes-most-durable-cv-boots.html)

Motory 01-27-2022 05:29 AM

Who makes the most durable CV boots?

After tearing 2 inner OEM CV boots in the last 10,000mi, I'm looking to try something other than OEM. I'm lifted 3" on Kings and am constantly seeing the red High Angle ones from Offroad Solutions mentioned on other threads, but cant justify the $76/boot cost unless they're actually worth over twice the price of every other boot.

Has anyone tried these from Dobinsons?

Dobinsons High Clearance Inner CV Stretch Boot Kit for Toyota & Lexus

Any others that you guys know of that have proven durability? If the Offroad Solutions ones are actually by far the best ones, I'm not opposed to getting them, I just don't want to drop $150 if they're not any better than the $50 options.

jbtvt 01-27-2022 01:32 PM

How are you tearing them, sticks catching them? The OEM boots are more durable than anything I've tried but only used cheaper aftermarkets before swearing them off entirely. If you've gone through a few pairs of OEM you probably know that the outer boots are a stiffer and seemingly more puncture resistant compound, possibly PVC, than the inners which seem to be a rubber/epdm. The boot you linked is silicone, as are the OS ones, which is generally softer than rubber and almost certainly softer than PVC, so while they may resist age-cracking better than many rubbers, if sticks tearing your boots is the issue they're probably not going to be an improvement. But although I have quite a bit of experience working with industrial silicone products I have no personal experience with any silicone boot.

Motory 01-28-2022 03:54 AM

Thanks for the input! To be honest I'm not 100% sure how they're tearing. I think the first was due to friction from the flanges rubbing, but the second I have no idea since it's in a weird spot near the inner mounting clamp and the rubber around the tear almost looks deteriorated. Maybe from overstretching?

Im not too worries about sticks or anything puncturing it, mainly just normal wear and tear. I might just give the Dobinsons a try and if they aren't much better I'll go back to OEM.