Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Filter Size Wrong (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/303267-filter-size-wrong.html)

Pirateghost 02-01-2022 12:39 PM

Filter Size Wrong

Used to change my own oil using only OEM oil and filters. Had to have dealer do it yesterday. Tech informed me I had wrong filter size. I have been meticulous about using correct parts. My box says 04152-YAAZ5. Specs say it should be 4.8 x 3.2 x 3.2 inches. My filter out of OEM box measures 2 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 3 High. How can my sealed box OEM filer be short by almost 1.8 inches?

Edit: Sitting here pondering this again and looked closer at filter. It is indeed stamped 15613-YZZA2 and not 04152-YZZA5 like the box says so at some point something happened. Box was just opened by me and was sealed. If changing oil, may want to examine filters closely before just whipping in a new element like I did.

USStrongman 02-01-2022 03:24 PM

Is this an OEM filter?

If it indeed has a different stamp on the filter than from the box (and does not include a statement about including/replacing additional filters numbers) I would do a few things:

1. Retain a sample of the old oil and confirm with oil analysis that the metal content is not out of spec.

1a. If it is out of spec, contact whomever you bought it from and send them pics of the filter and box.

1b. If it is really out of spec, contact an attorney since there was a mistake (intentional or not) that WILL affect the longevity of your vehicles motor.

2. Contact who you purchased it from and ask to speak to a regional manager.

3. If Toyota directly, then onto Toyota CS.

4. Consider only buying from your Toyota dealer directly from now on.

More than likely, its a non issue, but I would want to make sure with a $6,000 motor/labor bill that could come sooner than later.

mbm112 02-01-2022 04:30 PM

15613 is the part number for the filter material. 04152 is the part number for the whole kit in the box including gaskets.

Thinking the dealer used the wrong filter for my 10k oil change