Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Thoughts on reverse light modifications (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/304946-thoughts-reverse-light-modifications.html)

Pavement Tested 04-26-2022 09:17 PM

Thoughts on reverse light modifications

So, I think we can agree the factory reverse lights are a bit lackluster. I've installed LEDs in mine and got a bit of improvement but could still be better. I know there are products out there like the Diode Dynamics tails as turns modules, but I don't know that I want the tails doing triple duty (running, brake and turn lights). I'm also aware of Diode Dynamics aux reverse lights but I find them a bit expensive for what they are at over $200 for the lower end set.

This got me thinking, has anyone tried doing a bit if rewiring and switched the reverse and turn signal lights? Basically, switching the wires on the light connectors. A decent amber LED should be bright enough to be seen during the day and would allow for the same setup the tails as turns modules provide minus having 4 reverse lights. I suppose my only concern would be field of view for the turn signal since it's greater for the factory turn signals than the factory reverse lights.

Any thoughts?

FTR, I've used fog lights as aux reverse lights on 3 trucks and really like the flush mounted bumper lights I currently have on my Ram but that's not really an option on a factory 4R rear bumper.

????? 04-27-2022 03:34 AM

I have upgraded bulbs from Diode Dynamics (the higher output model) and they are substantially brighter than oem.

Backup LEDs for 2001-2022 Toyota 4Runner (pair)

JaSC1 04-27-2022 06:08 AM

Some have done this..

2014-2021 Toyota 4Runner Tail as Turn™ Module +Backup Module (USDM)

N2TRKYS 04-27-2022 09:46 AM

I did the tail as turn mod and couldn’t be happier. I recommend it to everyone I know that has a 4Runner and they all love it.

rageandlove 04-27-2022 09:55 AM

I put in LED bulbs and that was an ok upgrade, but I wanted something that made it possible to see behind me some distance on a forest road, setting up camp, etc. not just parking lots ...

... some folks wired this sort of thing into the trailer plug so you get the light every time you shift into R

https://i.imgur.com/c2W3cm3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cNPQbQL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/G8ZAuzN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WAfjs12.jpg

PJSnow 04-27-2022 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavement Tested (Post 3729804)
This got me thinking, has anyone tried doing a bit if rewiring and switched the reverse and turn signal lights? Basically, switching the wires on the light connectors. A decent amber LED should be bright enough to be seen during the day and would allow for the same setup the tails as turns modules provide minus having 4 reverse lights. I suppose my only concern would be field of view for the turn signal since it's greater for the factory turn signals than the factory reverse lights.

That's a very interesting idea. I have not seen it before but I'm sure it can be done by someone willing to hack up their tail light wiring. I expect it would require cutting, swapping, and reconnecting the wires to the bulb connectors, as well as getting the correct bulb colors installed (turn signal and reverse bulbs are different sizes/shapes but I'm sure you can get amber and white versions of each). The "field of view" shouldn't be too impacted because the existing turn signal is essentially pointed straight back (the reflective bowl in the tail light acts as "blinders" so they are not actually visible from the side anyway). DOT laws probably require a certain area of illumination for the turn signal but I can't see someone being pulled over for this as long as the bulb is bright enough. I would guess an LED turn signal in the reverse light location would be plenty bright enough (have you seen some of these aftermarket LED turn signal bulbs? They are blinding!!!). Probably won't be too much aftermarket support for something like this since the tail-as-turn module exists but it would be a unique solution!

Just to share my solution (even though its probably not what you are looking for): I went the Meso Customs hitchpod route with the Baja Designs S1 and a custom wiring solution from a hacked up Diode Dynamics stage series reverse light wiring harness (not plug and play, required cutting and adding a new ground). This combined with LED reverse bulbs in the factory location definitely increased the amount of light output and is almost unusable when it rains (fair bit of glare...). My next goal is to wire up a momentary switch to allow be to flash people behind me that have their brights on!

Keep us updated if you decide to hack up your tail light wiring. Would love the see the final result!!

octanejunkie 04-27-2022 12:13 PM

I spliced into my reverse light wiring at my rear to add external LEDs, simple. Picked up the ground off the frame.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

emmantik 04-27-2022 01:20 PM

I did the DD tail as turn mod. Instead of using the factory reverse lights, I left them unplugged. I also did not want 4 reverse lights. In the factory reverse light locations, I added 2 red bulbs switched independently to act as rear fog lights. Similar to what is found in Asia/Europe etc.

Rear fog light - EDM/JDM spec, factory look

Or you can add another reverse light in the hitch receiver.

HitchPod Combos

– MESO CUSTOMS LLC

NB17Limited 04-27-2022 04:15 PM

I hacked up my wiring and have a white/amber switchback in the original turn signal and left the original reverse light as is. Reverse now has the original light and the white bulb in the turn signal. Amber turn signals still function as expected and will override the reverse signal

matoolie 04-27-2022 09:17 PM

I have the sport ssc1 version of these and been happy.

2010-2021 Toyota 4Runner LED Pod Reverse Light Kit

Get extra red taillights (no brake) when lights are on. Bright white reverse lights when in reverse. And I also wired the white lights into a switch on my switchpro so i can turn them on whenever as well.

Whippersnapper02 04-28-2022 01:07 AM

Another option: The HitchPod

– MESO CUSTOMS LLC

bayaz 04-28-2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaSC1 (Post 3729850)

This is what I’ve done too, and it’s worked great. Bright as day in the back without any extra wiring.

97BlackAckCL 04-28-2022 04:25 PM

I had the tail as turn and it was ridiculous and too much for me, I went back to single reverse lights, but they're bright AF and work plenty good for me

Amazon.com: LASFIT 921 912 LED Bulb Reverse Light, T15 W16W 6000K Xenon White Replacement Back up Lights For Cars (Pack of Two) : Automotive

bravozero 05-05-2022 04:05 PM

I had the VLED's 921's in 5k temp and they were much brighter than the halogen bulb.

Kevin11 06-13-2022 03:06 AM

I replaced my 5th T4R with AUXITO whole set led bulbs, they're really surpising me, it's super bright, and just took a few minutes to install.

2014-2021 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner LED Bulbs Super bright Replacement — AUXITO