Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Died suddenly, cranks but no start (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/305437-died-suddenly-cranks-but-no-start.html)

NegroTundra 05-25-2022 11:39 PM

Died suddenly, cranks but no start

After concluding 500 mile road trip, filled up with gas and got within half mile of my house and it sputters and dies. Cranks, but will not start. 255k miles well maintained new spark plugs and wires at 225k. Fuel pump? Sure seems like it. How to test any electric fuses that may have something to do with this?
Thanks

Skulking 05-26-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NegroTundra (Post 3735998)
After concluding 500 mile road trip, filled up with gas and got within half mile of my house and it sputters and dies. Cranks, but will not start. 255k miles well maintained new spark plugs and wires at 225k. Fuel pump? Sure seems like it. How to test any electric fuses that may have something to do with this?
Thanks

How far did you drive after refueling before it died? My first thought is bad gas.

brillo_76 05-26-2022 04:10 AM

+1 on bad fuel. Fuel pump or possibly the crank sensor failed. As possibilities as to why it won't run. :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Bad Luck 05-26-2022 08:43 AM

Did it sputter/stumble then die (bad fuel/weak fuel pump) or did it quit suddenly (crank/cam sensor failure)?

EDIT: Does the rpm gauge move or stay at zero while cranking? If it moves then you have a crank sensor signal.

gamefreakgc 05-26-2022 09:59 PM

Could also be a clogged IAC, or idle air control valve. It usually acts up when really hot and when idling at a stop light and makes the engine stall.

pluton 05-27-2022 01:45 AM

This morning my neighbor had her 02 4Runner cranking but engine not starting. It ran fine a hour earlier. The tow truck guy took the wooden handle of a rubber mallet and banged on the side of the gas tank several times. 4R started right up and ran.

Bad Luck 05-27-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluton (Post 3736316)
This morning my neighbor had her 02 4Runner cranking but engine not starting. It ran fine a hour earlier. The tow truck guy took the wooden handle of a rubber mallet and banged on the side of the gas tank several times. 4R started right up and ran.

Sometimes you just have to smack some life into the fuel pump or starter lol

brillo_76 05-27-2022 09:39 AM

When hitting the tank starts the fuel pump the armature is done. Time for a new fuel pump bad spot on it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

ArthurKotb 05-27-2022 10:15 AM

I had a similar experience with a 2.5L V6 Camry. It happened twice, years apart. Both times it was the MAF (mass air flow sensor). Car would run fine then just stop dead; would crank but not start. Garage replaced the MAF and all was well. Second time it happened I replaced it myself.

There are some YouTube videos on testing.

Sarki 05-27-2022 10:38 AM

Had a similar problem while on a road trip.
Started running very poorly and stalling shortly after stopping for fuel.
My initial thought was IAC or bad gas.
Ordered new IAC from local Toyota dealer as didn’t want to get stuck on my way back home, 1500 miles away.
Turned out to be bad gas, cancelled the IAC before it shipped out.

Jakeepoo3 05-28-2022 07:43 AM

Pull codes check PCM inputs.

NegroTundra 06-13-2022 02:49 PM

Ended up being fuel pump. Back on the road now :zoom:

02_SE_Runner_DAD 06-13-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluton (Post 3736316)

What kind of black magic stuff is this and does it have to be a wooden handle? lol

Bad Luck 06-14-2022 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02_SE_Runner_DAD (Post 3740629)
What kind of black magic stuff is this and does it have to be a wooden handle? lol

The contacts in a fuel pump can wear away and cause the pump to not work anymore. Smacking the fuel tank CAN potentially move the contacts in the fuel pump around enough to work for another time or two. Same concept as hitting your starter with a hammer.