Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   $10K KDSS Repair!! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/305654-$10k-kdss-repair.html)

ovmiowa 06-06-2022 05:43 PM

$10K KDSS Repair!!

Hi all, Our local Toyota dealer quoted me $10,000 to fix the KDSS system on my 2010 4R Trail, with 220K miles. The KDSS light comes on now and then, and they said it was very rusty (salty upper Midwest roads) and leaking slightly from the unit. The $10K is to replace the unit and all four lines. Does this sound right to you? Many thanks for sharing your insights!!

DannyLlama 06-06-2022 05:49 PM

Is insurance claim an option?

honda250xtitan 06-06-2022 06:02 PM

source your own used parts and replace whats failed. thats ridiculous.

bboy626 06-06-2022 06:11 PM

Good to know there’s a warning light for KdSS! Thx!

salsanacho 06-06-2022 06:14 PM

For that age of vehicle and that quoted cost of repair, I'd just pull the connector and turn off KDSS. That said, it'd be worth getting a quote from a non-dealer repair shop.

xtacles 06-06-2022 06:15 PM

I've heard of expensive KDSS repairs, but that is ridiculous. My guess is that dealership doesn't have the equipment to perform the work. If it completely fails, it would be a great time to install an aftermarket setup.

rdruss 06-06-2022 06:20 PM

Yep, those high tech systems are great (I guess) when they work, but when they don't it's often way too expensive for most of us to have pay to get it working right again. Can it be removed/replaced with normal sway bar system like Xreas can with normal shocks?

Brandonium 06-06-2022 07:15 PM

Reach out to Dr. KDSS and get his take on your situation.

Sent from my SM-F711U1 using Tapatalk

shoong 06-06-2022 08:59 PM

I second dr.KDSS, Dom is super passionate about what he does and is a super cool dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasxn 06-06-2022 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovmiowa (Post 3738727)
Hi all, Our local Toyota dealer quoted me $10,000 to fix the KDSS system on my 2010 4R Trail, with 220K miles. The KDSS light comes on now and then, and they said it was very rusty (salty upper Midwest roads) and leaking slightly from the unit. The $10K is to replace the unit and all four lines. Does this sound right to you? Many thanks for sharing your insights!!

are you running stock suspension?
another option is to take out the kdss system and upgrade your spring coils to a heavier weighted version to negate the loss of the sway bar.
this is my plan once my system fails.

or like others have stated, just replace the parts that need to be replaced.

I4CUTigers 06-06-2022 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasxn (Post 3738782)
another option is to take out the kdss system and upgrade your spring coils to a heavier weighted version to negate the loss of the sway bar.

Second this.

Also, take it to a Lexus dealer and see what they say. They see KDSS on every LC and GX, so they likely have more experience with the system.

honda250xtitan 06-06-2022 11:17 PM

x4 reach out to dom aka DR.Kdss. this isnt voodoo, its just a hydraulic system, and he's repaired them.

you can unplug the white connector under the dash by the gas pedal area and the kdss light will always be on ;)

salsanacho 06-06-2022 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasxn (Post 3738782)

yeah, with the stock suspension, kdss vs no kdss was night and day. After upgrading the suspension, the difference is lot less noticeable. If you're running a stock suspension, can just spend the money on a new suspension and just unplug the kdss wire by the module.

CutthroatSlam 06-07-2022 12:18 AM

KDSS is definitely off the list of options on the next 4Runner.

wcjeep 06-07-2022 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutthroatSlam (Post 3738819)
KDSS is definitely off the list of options on the next 4Runner.

We really like our Kdss. OP has 220k miles in the rust belt. Probably not many of the competition vehicles from 2010 still on the road in high salt use areas.