Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Seeking 2022 SR5 4x4: dealer stock low? super hi doc fees? etc.? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/305913-seeking-2022-sr5-4x4-dealer-stock-low-super-hi-doc-fees-etc.html)

bjnick 06-22-2022 09:46 AM

Seeking 2022 SR5 4x4: dealer stock low? super hi doc fees? etc.?

I'm looking for a new 2022 SR5 4x4. Posted recently about finding a used w/~50K, but at $38K-42K, decided to spend "a little more" and get a new one I have an excellent. condition Subaru OB Onyx XT as trade-in, only 19,200 mi., w/ Cargurus/AutoTrader, et al cash offers as high as $35,900. I see online that around here (Middle Tenn.), few new SR5's, more TRDs, etc. Met w/local dealership yesterday, after haggling, said best offer is $32,500 trade-in + $13,500 + he'd put on KOs ("If you buy TODAY!":blabla:). So...~$46K (+ non-negotiable $649 "vehicle charge") otd. I said nah, thanks anyway. I think waiting won't hurt me, I can find better deal. He says they get very few new from Toyota, that everybody around adds at LEAST $4000 above MSRP. What do the rest of you think? (Keep in mind that Tenn. residents don't pay sales tax on trade-in, only the difference, a big advantage.) Thanks for any insight.

mscot 06-22-2022 10:52 AM

is it at least a premium?

bjnick 06-22-2022 11:47 AM

Not a Premium. Just a plain 'ol SR5 4x4. He said, "the one we have is about the most stripped-down SR5 you can find."

mscot 06-22-2022 03:27 PM

Nowhere near worth that price. Base SR5s were going for like 32k. FWIW I paid less than 38k for my offroad premium in 2017.

bjnick 06-22-2022 04:30 PM

Wow. $32K today will get you something w/100,000+ mi. My brother in law paid ~$42K for his new TRD off road in 2017, I believe....maybe it was Premium; it's pretty sweet. This was L.A. I would pay that now gladly for the new TRD....but no dice. Not sure what to do, since it seems like the ads I see are way up there....at least here in Tenn. I don't think it will get worse though, so nothing to lose waiting a while, keep my eyes open.

Baystate4Runner 06-23-2022 12:12 AM

2022 is 5th generation 4Runner. This is the 6th generation section for a future, yet to be released 4Runner.

wcjeep 06-23-2022 12:53 AM

Can you sell your Subaru to Carmax? That would allow you to travel by plane to anywhere to purchase. My sister had to get on a wait list for her 4runner. Then she had to take whatever was available when it came in or get bumped to the bottom of the list.

Found a TRD offroad at $46k in Tacoma, Wa

Please Wait... | Cloudflare

mscot 06-23-2022 09:42 AM

Do you HAVE to buy a new car right now? Waiting a year or two will likely save you several thousand.
We WANT to buy a new car, but we're not going to for a while because we don't NEED to buy one yet.

bjnick 06-23-2022 10:41 AM

Well, this is all terrible news. I don't want to fly to another state to purchase at an exorbitant rate. Geez. I would gladly travel (drive a couple hundred miles) to get the vehicle, but there are limits. As far as "Do NEED to buy this now?" Fair question:

I don't NEED in the sense that I already have an excellent vehicle that still is fully covered till December. But I love going off-road exploring, camping, etc. and I can't do that w/this car! I can't take more challenging trails; I'm stuck with gravel or gentle dirt, and that eliminates a lot of what I really enjoy doing. The Outback was a stopgap; I bit the bullet as I had no choice. My Chevy Tracker w/4wd finally conked out. Where I was living my parking spot was too narrow for a 4runner or Wrangler. There are very few options in a late model vehicle for what I want. I don't want a pickup truck....everybody I know who owns a 4runner LOVES it. That's where I'm at. If I wait, I can't go off-road, which I used to enjoy all the time.

bjnick 06-23-2022 10:43 AM

Got several great trade-in offers, but the online people (CarGurus et al) just facilitate contact between me and the dealers who see the trade-in offer. So maybe I'm stuck.

mscot 06-23-2022 05:59 PM

A bone stock SR5 is 38k MSRP. They're wanting 46k for one?

Have you discussed taking your trade in off the table and asking what the cash price is?
Go to CarMax and see what they'll give you for your vehicle.

FWIW I never go in discussing whether I'll lease or trade in. I talk strictly cash purchase. Once we agree on a price, then I'll discuss whether to trade in or lease it. Get your bank to give you a loan agreement so if you don't like their terms you can always use your bank.
All car buying 101.

The only way I would pay over MSRP is if I absolutely had to have a car that moment.

bjnick 06-24-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscot (Post 3743017)
A bone stock SR5 is 38k MSRP. They're wanting 46k for one?

Have you discussed taking your trade in off the table and asking what the cash price is?

Didn't start w/trade-in mention. Ask for best OTD cash price. They said no one is selling at msrp right now...they tack on $4G, they say other dealers up to $7G.

Looking at online prices around here (within 100 mi.) I do see that.

Go to CarMax and see what they'll give you for your vehicle.

Like I posted, I've gotten offers from CarGurus, Auto Trader, et al. Highest was $35,900. But Tenn. sales tax rules are such that you don't pay any tax on the trade-in value.

FWIW I never go in discussing whether I'll lease or trade in. I talk strictly cash purchase. Once we agree on a price, then I'll discuss whether to trade in or lease it. Get your bank to give you a loan agreement so if you don't like their terms you can always use your bank.
All car buying 101.

Yeah, I agree, and that's what I did. They said $43,500 +"fees" ($649 "vehicle charge" plus other fees plus sales tax, which is $3G+

The only way I would pay over MSRP is if I absolutely had to have a car that moment.

Yeah, that's great to say that, but it's a total seller's market right now. Plus the dealer I spoke with said price will be significantly higher if I don't use finance w/them. Fwiw: I intend to pay cash; not interested in financing.

bjnick 06-24-2022 02:35 PM

fwiw: with another dealer texting me asking if I wanted to come in, I inquired where the price would be in relation to the msrp. His response:

"Everyone is selling brand new cars over MSRP. We cannot keep trucks in stock; we are selling them before they arrive and before they're built. If you have a nice enough trade-in, we can make up for some of the market adjustment."

mscot 06-24-2022 04:43 PM

So it's really $5k over msrp not $8k. Still not worth it if you ask me.
It sounds like you're making a purchase based on FOMO. Not need or financial rationality.
I would wait a year but its your money.

bjnick 06-24-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscot (Post 3743296)
So it's really $5k over msrp not $8k. Still not worth it if you ask me.

Did I say it was $8K over?

It sounds like you're making a purchase based on FOMO. Not need or financial rationality.

Well, there ARE plenty of people paying the exorbitant prices, but....I'd rather not be one of them.

I confess I do have to fight off a little bit of that....I AM definitely missing out, and have been for about three years now. I explored off -road trails w/ my old Chevy Tracker 4x4 for almost 20 years before it conked out 2 1/2 years ago. Off-road exploring is one of favorite things in life, but where I was living the parking space was tiny; couldn't fit a 4runner or Wrangler in there, so I settled for the OB. Dreamed of getting a new 4runner when I moved, I'm here, I have the $$$, lots of great trails to explore, so yeah, it's very disappointing. But it'll happen.

I would wait a year but its your money.

Hope it's not a year....but we'll see. I don't see it getting any worse than it is now, so waiting makes sense.

btw: I have no clue how to use the quotes in replies.