Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Connect Fog Lights to my Switch Panel? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/305930-connect-fog-lights-my-switch-panel.html)

Predatorsniper2005 06-22-2022 10:45 PM

Connect Fog Lights to my Switch Panel?

The factory fog light switch only works when the headlights are turned on. They don't come on during switch accessory or when the high beams are engaged. So I can assume that I can unplug the factory harnesses and run power to them from my auxiliary switch panel? Does this sound correct? If so, where do I get the factory wire harnesses to plug into the factory fog lights?

Thank you all in advance!
-Mike :usa2:

Ascole 06-23-2022 12:16 AM

I have my fog lights hooked up to my switch panel, fairly straight forward but I did end up cutting the stock wires. I can post pics when I have my car back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ads2539 06-23-2022 12:19 AM

There’s a 4th gen mod where the fogs work independently of the headlights. I don’t know if there’s a similar mod for the 5th gen.

emmantik 06-23-2022 01:29 AM

Or you can get this;

The Brite Box for Toyota 4Runner | Aspire

Billyrides 06-23-2022 01:47 PM

The Brite Box is what I have on mine. I do a lot of backroads, early morning driving heading to fishing spots. The brights combined with Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs make a massive difference in spotting deer on my way to the lakes. Very easy to install. I just did the fogster option if I remember. If I want the fogs off, I turn them off like I normally would on the factory stalk.

Predatorsniper2005 06-23-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascole (Post 3742781)
I have my fog lights hooked up to my switch panel, fairly straight forward but I did end up cutting the stock wires. I can post pics when I have my car back

What kind of plugs do I need that will go into the back of the factory fog lights?

Ascole 06-23-2022 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predatorsniper2005 (Post 3742963)
What kind of plugs do I need that will go into the back of the factory fog lights?

I left the stock plugs in, cut the power wire and re ran a new wire to the panel unit under the hood.

Predatorsniper2005 06-23-2022 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascole (Post 3742965)
I left the stock plugs in, cut the power wire and re ran a new wire to the panel unit under the hood.

Ascole,

Hello, I'd rather just unplug the factory harnesses and purchase new ones for my switch panel. If I ever sell the vehicle, then I can revert my ride back to the factory switch.

Thanks

Bombguy 06-23-2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predatorsniper2005 (Post 3742768)
The factory fog light switch only works when the headlights are turned on. They don't come on during switch accessory or when the high beams are engaged. So I can assume that I can unplug the factory harnesses and run power to them from my auxiliary switch panel? Does this sound correct? If so, where do I get the factory wire harnesses to plug into the factory fog lights?

Thank you all in advance!
-Mike :usa2:

Just an FYI, in most of the US it is illegal to run your high beams with your fog lights on while on public roadways. Not an issue if off-roading, but something to keep in mind.

Predatorsniper2005 06-23-2022 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombguy (Post 3743029)
Just an FYI, in most of the US it is illegal to run your high beams with your fog lights on while on public roadways. Not an issue if off-roading, but something to keep in mind.

Bombguy,

Thank you for the heads up, didn't know that. I think that is strange, because if oncoming traffic comes over the hill, I'm going to go back to my low beams, interesting! I plan to eventually go to the DD Pro's or Max's for my Fogs, but for now, I'd like to get it wired independently.

Be Blessed!

Predatorsniper2005 06-25-2022 09:00 PM

Fog Light Plug Type?

What plug type goes onto the back of the factory 2022 LED fog lights? I assume I can just buy 2 of those harnesses?

matoolie 06-26-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombguy (Post 3743029)

Also if your state requires annual vehicle inspection, check lighting requirements. Most states do not allow more than 4 road legal lights to be on at same time. This why fogs turn off with high beams as when high beams are activated high and low beams, total of 4 lights, are illuminated on the 4runner. If they find you can turn on the fogs with high beams illuminated they can fail you.

And disabling the fogs just for inspection probably won’t fly either as typically all installed lights have to functional to pass inspection.

Saker 06-27-2022 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predatorsniper2005 (Post 3743538)
What plug type goes onto the back of the factory 2022 LED fog lights? I assume I can just buy 2 of those harnesses?

There should be a number on the harness end plugs. Use an interwebz search, someone will have them that you can purchase.

Bossman 06-27-2022 08:06 AM

2015 5th Gen Independent Fog Light

Turn on Fglights on their own, without low beams

Fog lights with high beams... the easy way

ANTMAN'S Thread

Antman's Foglight mod is awesome!

Predatorsniper2005 06-27-2022 12:40 PM

OP,

Thanks for the reply, not looking to do a mod, I'm looking to run my fogs off of my switch panel. I just need to know the plug type going into the back of my factory fog lights. I can buy harnesses from there...