Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2019 Limited Shocks bad? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/306045-2019-limited-shocks-bad.html)

Steve40th396 06-29-2022 12:29 PM

2019 Limited Shocks bad?

4 Attachment(s)
I just was under my vehicle, and noticed the drivers side shock was pretty wet. The others look okay. Looks like the banjo nut leaked, which would be fluid.
Thoughts?
Is there any test to see if they are "bad" or low on fluid?
Thnx in advance.

Humble Leader 06-29-2022 02:33 PM

the front two look bad. the rear two look OK. under warranty still? there is no test to see if they are low on fluid but you may experience a poorer ride quality

probably not enough fluid has been lost to warrant replacement of the hard lines as well (you can't top up fluid with XREAS - closed system). since the vehicle is new you can probably get away with replacing just the fronts (shocks come slightly over pressurized from the factory so a small amount of fluid loss isn't a big deal). a set of two shocks is probably $1200 to $1400 with labour. XREAS replacements are expensive that's why so many people hate them. I replaced 4 corners on mine after about 155k miles (no hardlines) and it cost about $2600 after tax

Steve40th396 06-29-2022 03:03 PM

Not sure about warranty, probably out. It was bought Nov 2018..
Sucks.
Next time I buy a vehicle, I am bringing a subject matter expert with me..
I have learned allot on this car, due to previous owner NOT getting repairs done at dealership, so no carfax..
I would rather just replace it with reliable, and better than OEM. Its not a race car, but it would be nice if it handled a little better..
Eibach or the Bilsteins are going to be purchased in the future for her..

Humble Leader 06-29-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve40th396 (Post 3744497)
Not sure about warranty, probably out. It was bought Nov 2018..
Sucks.
Next time I buy a vehicle, I am bringing a subject matter expert with me..
I have learned allot on this car, due to previous owner NOT getting repairs done at dealership, so no carfax..
I would rather just replace it with reliable, and better than OEM. Its not a race car, but it would be nice if it handled a little better..
Eibach or the Bilsteins are going to be purchased in the future for her..

many go aftermarket and are happy. both your options listed can be as good or better than your current set up depending how much you want to spend. As a matter of principal for myself I never buy new cars and only buy used cars with complete service history (not from carfax, actual dealer printout sheets) and only 1 owner. live and learn

Steve40th396 06-29-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humble Leader (Post 3744516)
many go aftermarket and are happy. both your options listed can be as good or better than your current set up depending how much you want to spend. As a matter of principal for myself I never buy new cars and only buy used cars with complete service history (not from carfax, actual dealer printout sheets) and only 1 owner. live and learn

My car came with the service history right up to 2 months before acquiring it.
I did some digging and found out little Brandi, the phone in bluetooth, hot something. New tires were just put on a 12/2021, then one new right front tire on 2/2021. Guess when it was sold....
That one tire correlates to the right front headlight being replaced, missing lower bumper bolts and the side bracket holding the passenger side part of bumper had the bolts in the wrong holes. Fine thread was on the hole closer to the tire, while the course thread was in the one closer to the headlight, and it was loose.. No ..Dealer in Dothan Al got it, they saw it, but obviously didnt repair it as it would have been reported. So, Lil' Brandi had someone NOT mechanically inclined fix it. As was his T8 head unit install. He sucked.
Yep, I bought a recked car.
Dealership I bought from is running a claim for me to repair and pay for all items screwed up. The lady I spoke with was pissed I got it as it was listed as not sellable when i got it, just for the fuel pump itself. ( was recalled and went through2 dealerships without repair)
Okay, off my soapbox. Lesson learned. Being an avid traveler for work, I was unable to figure all this out till well past the 30 day return..
So, I will get it fixed and move forward.

N6WRV 06-29-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve40th396 (Post 3744439)
I just was under my vehicle, and noticed the drivers side shock was pretty wet. The others look okay. Looks like the banjo nut leaked, which would be fluid.
Thoughts?
Is there any test to see if they are "bad" or low on fluid?
Thnx in advance.

Looks like normal road grime. If your XREAS shocks were leaking they would be really wet and shock fluid would be dripping from them.

Humble Leader 06-29-2022 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve40th396 (Post 3744519)
My car came with the service history right up to 2 months before acquiring it.
I did some digging and found out little Brandi, the phone in bluetooth, hot something. New tires were just put on a 12/2021, then one new right front tire on 2/2021. Guess when it was sold....
That one tire correlates to the right front headlight being replaced, missing lower bumper bolts and the side bracket holding the passenger side part of bumper had the bolts in the wrong holes. Fine thread was on the hole closer to the tire, while the course thread was in the one closer to the headlight, and it was loose.. No ..Dealer in Dothan Al got it, they saw it, but obviously didnt repair it as it would have been reported. So, Lil' Brandi had someone NOT mechanically inclined fix it. As was his T8 head unit install. He sucked.
Yep, I bought a recked car.
Dealership I bought from is running a claim for me to repair and pay for all items screwed up. The lady I spoke with was pissed I got it as it was listed as not sellable when i got it, just for the fuel pump itself. ( was recalled and went through2 dealerships without repair)
Okay, off my soapbox. Lesson learned. Being an avid traveler for work, I was unable to figure all this out till well past the 30 day return..
So, I will get it fixed and move forward.

do you have laws to protect you from this sort of thing? up here we do, to protect buyers from this exact thing happening

many small one-location shady type of dealers will do stuff like this. a large dealer will get a car on trade that has a lot of mechanical issues or has been in a small accident. they will sell them off to these one-location shady shops at wholesale prices who will fix the car as cheap as they can and then sell them at too good to be true prices and not disclose the accident. an unsuspecting buyer then finds out later there's been shoddy work done and like you found out, an accident occurred

when looking for vehicles I caught three shady dealers try this on me. sure, this can happen at a brand name toyota dealership too but is less likely. the joys of looking for used cars lol. I'd be very careful of bringing your vehicle to get fixed at this dealer. If you have laws in place, demand your money back if the statute of limitations hasn't passed.

maybe take the L and try and offload the vehicle and find another one. you don't know what you don't know. you're already looking at a few grand for new suspension. especially if there were serious repairs. crap situation for sure but there's always a way out

Steve40th396 06-29-2022 08:45 PM

We have laws. The dealership is rather large. My Cousin works for them in California. When I told him of this, he was livid. Been there 16 years.
He believes the dealership in Ala had the car. But, the owner didnt want it worked on there. Took it home, had it cheaply fixed, then sold it to the company I bought from. The only thing noted was the fuel pump recall.
Thats it. So, it should have neve left the lot to begin with in Alabama, unless they had no resolve on how to fix it from Toyota when it was there.
Cousin got me to the right person, as it is getting fixed..
Problem is I travel so much, and didnt have someone with me to notice bumper, stereo and one other issue, which was minor, but I found later..
Other than that, it is a solid vehicle no leaks, fires right up, everything works.
Just have a few minor things to deal with.

Steve40th396 07-04-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N6WRV (Post 3744540)
Looks like normal road grime. If your XREAS shocks were leaking they would be really wet and shock fluid would be dripping from them.

Deleted, pics wont upload.