Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Vent shades - In-channel or stick on? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/306069-vent-shades-channel-stick.html)

Auce 06-30-2022 12:41 PM

Vent shades - In-channel or stick on?

My stick ons, cheapo ebay ones I got years back are about done. I was looking into the AVS or weathertech. Are there any cons to in-channel? Do they put any strain on the power window motor? I like to drive with the windows open a lot, I'm also a smoker.

3bears 06-30-2022 01:19 PM

i prefer stick on. i have avs on my 4runner. my son got in channel for his taco. one day....on a bumpy back road with windows down the rear pass side 0ne popped out and he did not know till he got to the campsite. by then long gone.
plus I think the avs stick ons look better on the 4runners

Riceye 06-30-2022 02:01 PM

I prefer the in channel deflectors because they have shown me to be more durable. I put a set of Wade (Westin) on my '96 SR5 about 8 years ago. When that 4Runner was totaled by a near head-on, I removed them and put them on the replacement 4Runner, a 2000 SR5. They have been great.

We had a set of AVS stick-ons on my wife's 2005 Outback and they sucked. Seemed like every spring I had to replace the adhesive on at least one of them.

I've done a little shopping for you as I was curious. I used Autoanything because they have served me well over the years for this type of stuff and are very price competitive.

Westin/Wade in channel deflectors - Autoanything
AVS in channel deflectors - Autoanything
Weathertech in channel deflectors - Autoanything

Bad Luck 06-30-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riceye (Post 3744699)
I prefer the in channel deflectors because they have shown me to be more durable. I put a set of Wade (Westin) on my '96 SR5 about 8 years ago. When that 4Runner was totaled by a near head-on, I removed them and put them on the replacement 4Runner, a 2000 SR5. They have been great.

We had a set of AVS stick-ons on my wife's 2005 Outback and they sucked. Seemed like every spring I had to replace the adhesive on at least one of them.

I've done a little shopping for you as I was curious. I used Autoanything because they have served me well over the years for this type of stuff and are very price competitive.

Westin/Wade in channel deflectors - Autoanything
AVS in channel deflectors - Autoanything
Weathertech in channel deflectors - Autoanything

All of those links lead to westin in channel deflectors which is weird. Got any pictures of your in channel deflectors?

Riceye 06-30-2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3744700)
All of those links lead to westin in channel deflectors which is weird. Got any pictures of your in channel deflectors?

Lol. I probably pasted the same command-v link for all three. I think I fixed it, now. Try again!

You'll have to enter the vehicle info to get the price on each. The Wade/Westin are the least expensive for a four piece set, I believe. And I've had no issue with quality.

Riceye 06-30-2022 02:32 PM

On the '96.
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...wA&oe=62E2F0C2

On the 2000. A poor picture of the visors, but a good picture of my Thule rack.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...umb-1152-a.jpg

spartacus 06-30-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riceye (Post 3744711)
On the '96.
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...wA&oe=62E2F0C2

On the 2000. A poor picture of the visors, but a good picture of my Thule rack.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...umb-1152-a.jpg

Happen to know the part number for the Thule rack the towers? My stock crossbars are showing signs of weakness after carrying a Yakima skybox 19.

Riceye 06-30-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3744726)
Happen to know the part number for the Thule rack the towers? My stock crossbars are showing signs of weakness after carrying a Yakima skybox 19.

I do like my bar setup. They install/remove in a minute, and are bombproof. I take them off in winter because of salt and corrosion.

If you're made of money, you can get the newer Thule Podium 460 with either the square bars or the aerodynamic wing bars...

Thule fit my car - 2000 Toyota 4Runner

Or, if your cheap (like me) you can watch fb marketplace, craigslist or ebay for these feet...

Set of 4 Thule 430 TrackerII foot pack

And these bars. The LB50 will span the width, but the LB58 are the same price and I find the added length useful...

Thule LB58 load bars

Also, check out Yakima. They have similar stuff and accessories are all compatible anymore. The feet and crossbars need to be the same mfr, though. Another platform is Malone racks. Not quite as high a price as the Thule or Yakima, but also (imho) not as robust.

spartacus 06-30-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riceye (Post 3744757)
I do like my bar setup. They install/remove in a minute, and are bombproof. I take them off in winter because of salt and corrosion.

If you're made of money, you can get the newer Thule Podium 460 with either the square bars or the aerodynamic wing bars...

Thule fit my car - 2000 Toyota 4Runner

Or, if your cheap (like me) you can watch fb marketplace, craigslist or ebay for these feet...

Set of 4 Thule 430 TrackerII foot pack

And these bars. The LB50 will span the width, but the LB58 are the same price and I find the added length useful...

Thule LB58 load bars

Also, check out Yakima. They have similar stuff and accessories are all compatible anymore. The feet and crossbars need to be the same mfr, though. Another platform is Malone racks. Not quite as high a price as the Thule or Yakima, but also (imho) not as robust.

Thanks, I didn't want to spend 500 bucks on the new thule components.I am looking at fb market place and Craigs list. Appreciate it.

wcjeep 07-02-2022 12:54 AM

On a non Toyota product I had in channel visors. They created problems for the electric motors. I have had AVS stick on multiple vehicles with no issue. They have been thru many car washes.

I make sure the vehicle is clean. Wipe down the area with proper alcohol wipes. Typically install after the vehicle has sat overnight in our heated garage.

Auce 07-02-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcjeep (Post 3745031)
On a non Toyota product I had in channel visors. They created problems for the electric motors. I have had AVS stick on multiple vehicles with no issue. They have been thru many car washes.

I make sure the vehicle is clean. Wipe down the area with proper alcohol wipes. Typically install after the vehicle has sat overnight in our heated garage.

That was my fear WC, the motors. I'll probably go with the stick ons.

calimobber 07-02-2022 02:15 PM

Ive had AVS in channel for the last 7 years and i think they look way better. The motors handle them just fine.

I put some double sided 3m tape on mine then rolled up the windows to seat the glue better. I think ive replaced the tape once but I always live in the desert.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/member...8-visors-1.jpg

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/member...7-visors-2.jpg

JZiggy 07-02-2022 05:51 PM

I love my wade in channel ones. No issues with the window motors. They look good and work well.

5 Speed Dave 07-02-2022 05:58 PM

I have the in channel weather tech ones a few years now. The first couple times the window motors worked a little harder. After the visors found their positions there have been no issues. They haven't got loose and I have had no problems. Highly recommend them. Great product and great quality.

Auce 07-02-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5 Speed Dave (Post 3745127)
I have the in channel weather tech ones a few years now. The first couple times the window motors worked a little harder. After the visors found their positions there have been no issues. They haven't got loose and I have had no problems. Highly recommend them. Great product and great quality.

Are they the ones Dave that are like 120$+? I wonder what makes them twice the price as the AVS?