Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   complete loss? Mad frame rust and mad me (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/306196-complete-loss-mad-frame-rust-mad-me.html)

karyins 07-07-2022 08:42 PM

complete loss? Mad frame rust and mad me

2 Attachment(s)
So I thought it's a lousy brake line job. https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...ml#post3746018

But it's the "rear differential stabilizer bar rusted off ripping out the brake line" said the mechanic. He also said that he doesn't know how to fix it. Or even if he knows he would not recommend it because other rusty parts may fail too. Ironically that I just had the leaky transmission line replaced there last week and He assured me that the new lines should last the rest of the vehicle's life...

Now I don't know what the stabilizer bar does but can I by any chance drive without it? Something's coming up and it would suck without the 4runner. Can we survive 2 weeks and perhaps 200 miles without it stabilizing for us? What if I drive like a grandma? Ok NVM I think that's a bad idea...damn

After that I plan to park it and join one of them classic lawsuit about the rusty frames. Are there multiple ones going on? Any suggestion which one to join?

Thanks! Still mad...

Well then again I guess I am Lucky because it happened when we were so close to home and nobody got hurt. It could have been so much worse...

Jakeepoo3 07-07-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karyins (Post 3746179)
So I thought it's a lousy brake line job. https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...ml#post3746018

But it's the "rear differential stabilizer bar rusted off ripping out the brake line" said the mechanic. He also said that he doesn't know how to fix it. Or even if he knows he would not recommend it because other rusty parts may fail too. Ironically that I just had the leaky transmission line replaced there last week and He assured me that the new lines should last the rest of the vehicle's life...

Now I don't know what the stabilizer bar does but can I by any chance drive without it? Something's coming up and it would suck without the 4runner. Can we survive 2 weeks and perhaps 200 miles without it stabilizing for us? What if I drive like a grandma? Ok NVM I think that's a bad idea...damn

After that I plan to park it and join one of them classic lawsuit about the rusty frames. Are there multiple ones going on? Any suggestion which one to join?

Thanks! Still mad...

Well then again I guess I am Lucky because it happened when we were so close to home and nobody got hurt. It could have been so much worse...

It prevents body roll. You can drive without just be careful cornering. Looks like your coil seats are about to blow out too sh1tty. You won't win a law suit the judge will just say it's want maintained properly. I agree it's BS. There are way more durable coatings Toyota should be using.

mjg514 07-07-2022 09:11 PM

yikes....all the things are looking pretty sketch under there.

Syr4RinNC 07-07-2022 10:01 PM

Time to let her go. My 03 succumbed to rust about 5 years ago. Id worry about catastrophic damage in a crash or something else going very wrong. Just not worth your or anyone else's safety.

If youve got a mechanic you trust, you can ask him about the overall safety of the frame and if just that area thats bad or the whole thing.

Lots of off roaders remove the stabilizer bar for more flex. It just does cause a little more body roll with cornering.

If the rest of the vehicle will pass inspection, Id just remove the stabilizer bar and start saving for your next vehicle

You can add it to a class action suit if it makes you feel better, but after 15-20 years, its not going anywhere and probably isnt worth your time or energy

rwh963 07-07-2022 10:15 PM

rust never sleeps.

GBagwell 07-08-2022 03:22 AM

FYI, If it was the “sway bar” you could get away without it. It would affect the runners cornering ability on the road. What you photo’d is the rear axle track bar mount. It keeps the axle centered under the truck. Without it the axle will wonder under the truck and you in affect would have no proper 4 wheel alignment. To vehicle could dart all over the road. Serious issue. And serious rust under there. Sorry to see it.

thennen 07-08-2022 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBagwell (Post 3746231)
FYI, If it was the “sway bar” you could get away without it. It would affect the runners cornering ability on the road. What you photo’d is the rear axle track bar mount. It keeps the axle centered under the truck. Without it the axle will wonder under the truck and you in affect would have no proper 4 wheel alignment. To vehicle could dart all over the road. Serious issue. And serious rust under there. Sorry to see it.

I had a 3rd Gen (2001) that experienced what you describe when the rear stabilizer mount rusted through on the passenger side. Maybe not exactly the same problem as this one, but she was going all over the place on her last ride to the dealership to be traded. Of course, the dealership was aware of the problem and sent it to the junkyard.

SurferUK 07-08-2022 05:01 AM

I think that poor old thing is used up...might be time to look into a new one from a warmer state. Mine is an 07, so not too much newer than yours, and the underside was near enough perfect. It's the ****ing salt that does the damage.

Once you get it, do something to rust protect the underside and cavities.

https://i.ibb.co/L6vQSnR/IMG-20211122-131008345.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/QKfbvsh/IMG-20211122-131019479.jpg

Seymore Butts 07-08-2022 09:02 AM

Based on this and your brake failure saga, I'd say this unit is totaled. I'd be surprised if it doesn't collapse during the tow to the junkyard.

aemravan 07-08-2022 09:03 AM

yea man... sorry to see.. but that's a hard nope on driving it.. it's finished.

Your panhard bar is no longer attached, or at least close to it. And as mentioned above, this is literally the only thing keeping you rear axle from shifting laterally.

As awesome as it would be to win a lawsuit, don't bother wasting any time or energy. There are certain cases where you could have a very strong claim against premature rust/failure... this is not one of them. This is a NY car that looks like hasn't been maintained against rust very well.. (no offense at all) I mean just look at the links and rear end themselves.. those don't rust any faster than any other rig I've seen and are in poor shape at best in the pictures... this unfortunately is just what life looks like in the salt belt without any sort of preventative maintenance.. definitely time to let her go.

karyins 07-08-2022 10:05 AM

Thanks guys for the info. You are right about the broken part being the rear axle track bar mount. So I won't drive it.

As for the maintenance. I mean, I'm your average guy who doesn't know much about cars, just drive them, oil change and safety inspection when due. Go through car wash each time after snow on roads clears in winter, occasionally in other seasons. I do this to my Prius V too, which is a few years younger but has about 1/1000 of the rust comparing to the 4runner.

How was I supposed to maintain the 4runner? Baby it? Put a diaper on it? Give it a hand job every weekend?

inscarguy 07-08-2022 10:32 AM

Depending how bad the rust is elsewhere, and if you really like your 4runner, you could opt for a better cond rear axle, track bar and control arms. Before they go in treat them so rust would be neutralized, put some POR15 on them and reinstall.

You would have your 4runner back if all else is OK. It's better than a car payment and you know your vehicle.

karyins 07-08-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inscarguy (Post 3746276)
Depending how bad the rust is elsewhere, and if you really like your 4runner, you could opt for a better cond rear axle, track bar and control arms. Before they go in treat them so rust would be neutralized, put some POR15 on them and reinstall.

You would have your 4runner back if all else is OK. It's better than a car payment and you know your vehicle.

I didn't post all the pictures but the rust is very bad everywhere >.<

SurferUK 07-08-2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karyins (Post 3746267)
Thanks guys for the info. You are right about the broken part being the rear axle track bar mount. So I won't drive it.

As for the maintenance. I mean, I'm your average guy who doesn't know much about cars, just drive them, oil change and safety inspection when due. Go through car wash each time after snow on roads clears in winter, occasionally in other seasons. I do this to my Prius V too, which is a few years younger but has about 1/1000 of the rust comparing to the 4runner.

How was I supposed to maintain the 4runner? Baby it? Put a diaper on it? Give it a hand job every weekend?

Unfortunately that's just the way it is. Over here, it wasn't until VW and later Peugeot arrived with their galvanised chassis that it was possible to buy a normal car and not have it rusted out in less than 10 years. Ford were notorious for it.

It's not a difficult job to put some sort of treatment on, but it is messy, awkward, and unpleasant. I ended up doing mine in the cold of November last year when an undersealing company cancelled on me. I just went with what I think you guys would call something like Fluid Film.

I prefer it as it can't get chipped and let corrosion continue underneath.

For the box sections of the chassis and frame that are more protected from impacts I used Bilt Hamber Dynax S50, no idea if it's available over there but it's good stuff.

4r-4ever 07-08-2022 11:06 AM

yes, that's the track bar not the stabilizer bar. you can't drive that anymore. you can however get the rear differential replaced and you should be back to normal but before you do, is it worth it? I'm sure there frame there is disintegrating too.