Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Question: Showers on Long Off-Road Trips; T4R5G (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/306298-question-showers-long-off-road-trips;-t4r5g.html)

Farzad_K 07-13-2022 02:28 PM

Question: Showers on Long Off-Road Trips; T4R5G

Hi.

I have a Prinsu rack, a pump for tires to be aired up (after having been aired down), and I am thinking of what I can do for a quick summer-style shower without spending a lot of money; something that I can mount on the rack and load as needed for a quick shower.

What is your approach?

Thanks in advance.

Farzad

johnnygraphic 07-13-2022 02:46 PM

Simple shower in a bag at Big5 or custom made pvc pipe water holdee we Ed with hose and spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourwd1 07-13-2022 05:26 PM

There're tons of threads on that subject. Just use the SEARCH function and search for the word shower in Post Titles.

There're posts on DIY showers, roof rack mount showers, etc.

johnnygraphic 07-13-2022 07:08 PM

Another option is to use those body towels in a bag type things. Just wipe down at the end of the day.

Farzad_K 07-13-2022 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnygraphic (Post 3747407)
Another option is to use those body towels in a bag type things. Just wipe down at the end of the day.

I like building my own things whenever that I can, but in this case it looks like I either have to do spot cleaning as you say or just shell out and get the real thing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Farzad

johnnygraphic 07-14-2022 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farzad_K (Post 3747456)
I like building my own things whenever that I can, but in this case it looks like I either have to do spot cleaning as you say or just shell out and get the real thing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Farzad

Here's a YT video on a DIY roof top shower. Looks fairly simple enough with some tools. Just to give you an idea of what is out there. Search YT and there are a ton of videos. This *may* be something we decide to do. Maybe, maybe not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvITGsKqyxE

Farzad_K 07-14-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnygraphic (Post 3747565)
Here's a YT video on a DIY roof top shower. Looks fairly simple enough with some tools. Just to give you an idea of what is out there. Search YT and there are a ton of videos. This *may* be something we decide to do. Maybe, maybe not.
DIY Solar Shower System Pressurized for Roof Rack Camping off the grid under $100 - YouTube

Looks good, thanks. Let me know if you decide to build one of those.

Farzad

RichinRidgewood 07-14-2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farzad_K (Post 3747363)
Hi.

I have a Prinsu rack, a pump for tires to be aired up (after having been aired down), and I am thinking of what I can do for a quick summer-style shower without spending a lot of money; something that I can mount on the rack and load as needed for a quick shower.

What is your approach?

Thanks in advance.

Farzad

A bucket and a creek, pond or lake,
A large truck stop shower when you buy gas

Why the hell would you want to carry around a bunch of other crap to take a shower?

Farzad_K 07-16-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3747588)
A bucket and a creek, pond or lake,
A large truck stop shower when you buy gas

Why the hell would you want to carry around a bunch of other crap to take a shower?

...or either just don't shower or use one of those rinse-free body wash products.

I know, there are a lot of options out there, and with the exception of the bucket idea, I have done them when feasible. Truck stops are great, but I don't necessarily camp ore refuel where they are conveniently located - same with creeks and rivers.

johnnygraphic 07-17-2022 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farzad_K (Post 3747569)
Looks good, thanks. Let me know if you decide to build one of those.

Farzad

I thought about it, but looks like a bit too much trouble for the amount of camping we do. We’ll either shower in a bucket or use those body towel things I mentioned earlier. There’s a few out there. I don’t remember the brand we use. Or, we just plan a hotel stay somewhere along the route.

Hope you find a good solution that works for you!

Farzad_K 07-18-2022 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnygraphic (Post 3748066)
I thought about it, but looks like a bit too much trouble for the amount of camping we do. We’ll either shower in a bucket or use those body towel things I mentioned earlier. There’s a few out there. I don’t remember the brand we use. Or, we just plan a hotel stay somewhere along the route.

Hope you find a good solution that works for you!

I am working on a ten Day Utah excursion and I expect to be off grid for at least 7 of those days. Or king to be as prepared as possible, and I also have thought about doing a hotel at the end when I can sleep better, rest and take a good bath.

I might build the pipe water tank though, if not for anything else it is something to design and build.

RAD4Runner 07-18-2022 05:24 AM

Keep it Simple

Keep it simple and use the money you save to buy more gasoline.

Shower bag, No-rinse body wash all good.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net..._g&oe=62DAE40B
Shower from Bucket At developed campgrounds sometimes there's too much drama with coin-operated stuff, things break or you run out of coins, etc. I just boil water, mix with tap water in cooler for right temp and use a small scoop.

If you prefer a shower... We say we want to go off-the-grid, so why rely on electricity and/or have it plugged into the vehicle?
We want things portable, so why attach it to the vehicle?
We paddle, surf, climb, run, carry heavy packs, etc, so why couldn't we pump by hand? Land Rover charges $400 extra for this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ilnm78WATKc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used Home Depot 2-gallon sprayer. The sink/dishwashing nozzle turned out too fragile, I eventually replaced with off-the-shelf garden hose nozzle.

johnnygraphic 09-05-2022 09:46 PM

We had a 4 day camp trip up to Bear Valley, CA and it POURED!!! Everything got soaked. Fortunately, our cheap little Coleman tent came thru with flying colors. Aside from condensation, no water intrusion into the tent at all. But, it was crazy humid up there. I was using two of those shower pouch things a day. I just couldn’t get comfortable enough to sleep. I was miserable. Finally had to wash my hair using bottled water just to get a little relief. It helped, but nothing like getting a good shower once we got home. Lesson learned. Need to have alternatives to the shower pouch to stay happy and get sleep!

NoTreadLeft 09-10-2022 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnygraphic (Post 3747565)
DIY Solar Shower System Pressurized for Roof Rack Camping off the grid under $100 - YouTube

That's an awesome setup but I think you will need a way to keep adding pressure to it as the water gets used so there is still a piece of the puzzle missing here. I guess a folding foot pump might make the most sense if you don't want to install a compressor?

johnnygraphic 09-13-2022 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoTreadLeft (Post 3758657)
That's an awesome setup but I think you will need a way to keep adding pressure to it as the water gets used so there is still a piece of the puzzle missing here. I guess a folding foot pump might make the most sense if you don't want to install a compressor?

Yup, good catch. I already have a compressor to air up, so that isn’t a concern. There are variations of that with a hookup for a compressor.