Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Stock FJ front skid doesnt fit (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/306330-stock-fj-front-skid-doesnt-fit.html)

Syr4RinNC 07-16-2022 11:19 AM

Stock FJ front skid doesnt fit

Just FYI - I had tried to look around and find info on this. though the FJ and 4runner and share a lot on the chassis, a stock FJ (off an 07 FJ) front skid plate will not fit a 4th gen 4runner without some modification.

I thought this might work based on the chassis being similar and a few fab companies mention their skids being compatible with both FJ and 4runners.

My skid plate is rusted and bashed beyond usefulness. There was an FJ skid for sale on FB. The FJ skid is wider and longer. The front mount point will line up. However, the rear mount point doesnt have a hanging bracket, like on the 4r and the mount points are wider.

The second skid plate/ mid engine skid, the one with the access for oil change does appear to be the same

Hope this answers someone else's question and saves someone time

Jeebus 07-21-2022 09:17 PM

Thanks for this, I have the two plates in my trunk. I tried installing them the other day, but the mounting points were rusty, so I couldn`t install them. I was currently waiting to get a tap/die set to re-drill the holes.

Jakeepoo3 07-21-2022 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syr4RinNC (Post 3747842)
Just FYI - I had tried to look around and find info on this. though the FJ and 4runner and share a lot on the chassis, a stock FJ (off an 07 FJ) front skid plate will not fit a 4th gen 4runner without some modification.

I thought this might work based on the chassis being similar and a few fab companies mention their skids being compatible with both FJ and 4runners.

My skid plate is rusted and bashed beyond usefulness. There was an FJ skid for sale on FB. The FJ skid is wider and longer. The front mount point will line up. However, the rear mount point doesnt have a hanging bracket, like on the 4r and the mount points are wider.

The second skid plate/ mid engine skid, the one with the access for oil change does appear to be the same

Hope this answers someone else's question and saves someone time

Front fits, check. On the back side use spacer sleeves with the appropriate length bolt to replicate the hanging bracket not there. Drill the holes in skid to line up the wider mounting points. Cheap and simple. ✌️👽

Syr4RinNC 07-22-2022 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeepoo3 (Post 3748906)
Front fits, check. On the back side use spacer sleeves with the appropriate length bolt to replicate the hanging bracket not there. Drill the holes in skid to line up the wider mounting points. Cheap and simple. ✌️��

@Jakeepoo3
Woah - really? Does it need to be cut in the front so it doesnt hit the LCA or tie rods?

Jakeepoo3 07-22-2022 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syr4RinNC (Post 3748944)
@Jakeepoo3
Woah - really? Does it need to be cut in the front so it doesnt hit the LCA or tie rods?

I would just do a comparison with the original..

Syr4RinNC 07-22-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeepoo3 (Post 3748948)
I would just do a comparison with the original..

The original is much narrower. Curious i you had first hand experience, otherwise youd need to sheer it on the sides

Jakeepoo3 07-22-2022 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syr4RinNC (Post 3748992)
The original is much narrower. Curious i you had first hand experience, otherwise youd need to sheer it on the sides

kdss skid