Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Can I clear engine codes to make it home? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/306658-can-i-clear-engine-codes-make-home.html)

Jasonredwood 08-05-2022 03:51 PM

Can I clear engine codes to make it home?

I have a 2006 v8 4runner with just over 200k on it.
For a while the shop vac sound was coming on at start up but wasn’t sure if it had always been that way or not because the wife has been driving it. Couldn’t remember. Seemed to drive fine.

A few days ago all the lights came on the dash as we were leaving town. Figured it was the gas cap. Tightened it and unplugged the battery door 20 mins.
Didn’t have a code reader to check.
This morning I noticed all the lights were back on and the 4runner was lacking power.
When we got back to were we are staying I got a code reader and found;

P1442 manufacturer control
P2441 secondary air injection switching valve stuck close
P1445

Question is can we make it back the. 120 miles after clearing codes?

aemravan 08-05-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonredwood (Post 3751577)
I have a 2006 v8 4runner with just over 200k on it.
For a while the shop vac sound was coming on at start up but wasn’t sure if it had always been that way or not because the wife has been driving it. Couldn’t remember. Seemed to drive fine.

A few days ago all the lights came on the dash as we were leaving town. Figured it was the gas cap. Tightened it and unplugged the battery door 20 mins.
Didn’t have a code reader to check.
This morning I noticed all the lights were back on and the 4runner was lacking power.
When we got back to were we are staying I got a code reader and found

and found...... what?

long story short.. you can clear the codes, but if the problem still exists I doubt you'll make it more than a few miles down the road before the same lights/codes come back on.

what codes did you find?

Jasonredwood 08-05-2022 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aemravan (Post 3751582)
and found...... what?

long story short.. you can clear the codes, but if the problem still exists I doubt you'll make it more than a few miles down the road before the same lights/codes come back on.

what codes did you find?

My bad I though I posted them in the original post. Updated

P1442 manufacturer control
P2441 secondary air injection switching valve stuck close
P1445

AuSeeker 08-05-2022 06:42 PM

I'm just guessing but I think it will go into "limp" mode if you try to drive it with the valve stuck closed.

Maybe @slyfox75 will see this and give his input.

Jasonredwood 08-05-2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3751599)
I'm just guessing but I think it will go into "limp" mode if you try to drive it with the valve stuck closed.

Maybe @slyfox75 will see this and give his input.

I think it’ll take a while though. Cleared the codes earlier today and just drove around town. Seems fine.

Jasonredwood 08-12-2022 03:38 PM

Codes stayed away for 4 days until I installed @slyfox75 ‘s block off plates and bypass relay kit. 4runner is rolling nicely now with no high pitch shop vac noise at start up