Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Squeaky Clutch Pedal- Not caused by the spring (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/306690-squeaky-clutch-pedal-not-caused-spring.html)

Pyral 08-07-2022 07:15 PM

Squeaky Clutch Pedal- Not caused by the spring

When I put the clutch in or out, I can hear a creaking sound coming from outside the car. It's definitely not the typical clutch spring issue, you can hear it standing outside the car, and I already did the linear spring conversion.

It sounds a lot like a creaky old mattress on a honeymoon. I tried replacing the clutch fluid yesterday, and the fluid that came out was dark like coffee. Based off that, I suspect that either my clutch master or clutch slave cylinders is the source of the noise.

The thing is that I have no other problems with the clutch pedal, I never lose fluid and the pedal feels as it should. I'm not willing to spend what a new oem master cylinder costs if the only problem it's giving me is a noise. Is there anything else that could be causing my problem?

brillo_76 08-07-2022 07:50 PM

This is what I do before posting on the forum. As the posts go back for 19 years.

I goto Google and search. For example:

site:toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/ squeaking clutch pedal

Lots of information in those listed threads that will help you on your quest :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Bad Luck 08-07-2022 10:25 PM

When you push the clutch pedal that pushes a rod into the master cylinder which sends fluid to the slave cylinder which pushes the throw out bearing arm which pushes the throw out bearing against the clutch pressure plate diaphragm which releases pressure clamping the clutch to the flywheel.

Your noise could be caused by any of the moving parts after the slave cylinder as well. Use a mechanic’s stethoscope or long screwdriver/prybar to try to narrow down where the noise is coming from while someone is pushing the clutch pedal in/out.

pluton 08-08-2022 01:03 AM

The eternal, never-solved clutch squeak mystery:
My 97 had that same dry creaking sound for the first few years after I bought it in 2013. It now seems to have vanished. Mine still had (and still has) the original clutch pedal spring. Early on in the saga, I put moly grease on the spring contact point on the pedal (where the plastic bushing always disintegrates), and did the same to the slave cylinder pushrod where it contacts the dimple in the throwout bearing arm. But the creaking noise didn't go away immediately. It was months or maybe a year later that I realized that the clutch action had stopped squeaking.
I concluded that it was coming from inside the bellhousing, and there was no way I was going to go through the expense of taking that apart until the truck needed a clutch job.

JZiggy 08-08-2022 06:23 AM

It’s common for the contact point between the slave cylinder and the pivot arm to get dry since it’s not protected from weather. Pull the slave cylinder, apply some tacky moly grease, and reinstall. I have to do this every couple of years.

rglsr 08-08-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3751918)
Your noise could be caused by any of the moving parts after the slave cylinder as well. Use a mechanic’s stethoscope or long screwdriver/prybar to try to narrow down where the noise is coming from while someone is pushing the clutch pedal in/out.

Try this, the clutch fork has several metal to metal contact points, my Tacoma had a squeak/creak like this (faint and intermittent). Turned out to be the clutch fork internal to the bellhousing. You need to get under the car with someone operating clutch to pin point it.

Bad Luck 08-08-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglsr (Post 3751964)
Try this, the clutch fork has several metal to metal contact points, my Tacoma had a squeak/creak like this (faint and intermittent). Turned out to be the clutch fork internal to the bellhousing. You need to get under the car with someone operating clutch to pin point it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyral (Post 3751891)
When I put the clutch in or out, I can hear a creaking sound coming from outside the car. It's definitely not the typical clutch spring issue, you can hear it standing outside the car, and I already did the linear spring conversion.

Since I'm not the one with the issue I'll quote you two together to make sure the OP sees this. I feel like a matchmaker :jk:

Pyral 08-08-2022 06:32 PM

Today I went under and had someone push the pedal in, I can confidently rule out the master cylinder. It's either from the slave cylinder or where it enters the transmission.

It could be the clutch fork in the internals, it sounds just like this (no rattle like he shows later on). I'll see if I can pull back the boot and spray grease inside.

Edit: I took the boot off, wiped down some of the moving parts and sprayed a bunch of lithium grease on (as shown in video I linked). The noise has completely gone away, success!

Bad Luck 08-08-2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyral (Post 3752060)
Today I went under and had someone push the pedal in, I can confidently rule out the master cylinder. It's either from the slave cylinder or where it enters the transmission.

It could be the clutch fork in the internals, it sounds just like this (no rattle like he shows later on). I'll see if I can pull back the boot and spray grease inside.

Edit: I took the boot off, wiped down some of the moving parts and sprayed a bunch of lithium grease on (as shown in video I linked). The noise has completely gone away, success!

I love a cheap fix! I’m glad you found what it was and fixed it

brillo_76 08-09-2022 08:38 AM

Glad it's fixed. Good troubleshooting to narrow down the problematic issue. :).

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk