Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Driver Heated Seat Not Working (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/306697-driver-heated-seat-not-working.html)

HamSnacks 08-08-2022 01:09 AM

Driver Heated Seat Not Working

2011 Limited

Driver's side isn't working, the little amber light does not come on. Checked the fuses, checked the plugs underneath the seat as best I could, just made sure nothing was unplugged.

Is it common for the actual switch to go bad? Don't want to buy a $120 switch and it turns out not to be the issue.

Any other things to check?

Passenger side works great.

Thanks

Bossman 08-08-2022 08:01 AM

Maybe some tips in this 4th Gen thread (I had the driver's side seat heater stop working on my 03 Limited).

Troubleshooting Heated Seat

It could be that simply the amber bulb in the switch is burnt out, but it likely is the switch. I would also check the connection at the switch (center console) first before ordering a replacement.

fkheath 08-08-2022 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamSnacks (Post 3751932)
2011 Limited

Driver's side isn't working, the little amber light does not come on. Checked the fuses, checked the plugs underneath the seat as best I could, just made sure nothing was unplugged.

Is it common for the actual switch to go bad? Don't want to buy a $120 switch and it turns out not to be the issue.

Thanks

Swap the switch for the driver's side with the passenger's side. If the problem changes to the other side, it is the switch. If not, it could be the relay or wiring.

HamSnacks 08-08-2022 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 3751950)
Maybe some tips in this 4th Gen thread (I had the driver's side seat heater stop working on my 03 Limited).

Troubleshooting Heated Seat

It could be that simply the amber bulb in the switch is burnt out, but it likely is the switch. I would also check the connection at the switch (center console) first before ordering a replacement.

I'll take a look, thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3751965)
Swap the switch for the driver's side with the passenger's side. If the problem changes to the other side, it is the switch. If not, it could be the relay or wiring.

What's annoying is that they're 2 different plugs, I took them both out, they can't be plugged into the other seat.

spartacus 08-08-2022 01:59 PM

You can also use a multi meter and test the function of the switch by probing the pins in the connector.

HamSnacks 08-13-2022 03:04 AM

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone in the future had the same problem.

So I pulled out the Driver's heated switch, unplugged it and then took it apart, it's fairly easy to pull apart, just need a flat head and have to run it along 1 side. I realized there was a little gold metal piece that was out of place, it sits on a plastic piece near the dial. I had to bend the board back a bit to make some room and then simply Krazy glued the metal piece where it was supposed to sit. Just like that, working again. If anyone ever runs into that problem and needs more detailed instructions, send me a PM.

Thank you

Muskrat14 08-13-2022 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3752018)
You can also use a multi meter and test the function of the switch by probing the pins in the connector.

As a kid, my dad would make me watch him trouble shoot electrical circuits on all his old cars. Boring fkr me. Now I wish I would’ve paid attention. Don’t know squat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

czgunner 08-13-2022 08:44 PM

Unplug the heater grid and ohm check it. If it show open/infinite your grid is bad. If it's OK, good chance the switch is bad. Pretty simple to test to see if there is voltage coming out of the switch when you turn it on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

11 4Runner 02-20-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamSnacks (Post 3752988)
Just thought I'd update this in case anyone in the future had the same problem.

So I pulled out the Driver's heated switch, unplugged it and then took it apart, it's fairly easy to pull apart, just need a flat head and have to run it along 1 side. I realized there was a little gold metal piece that was out of place, it sits on a plastic piece near the dial. I had to bend the board back a bit to make some room and then simply Krazy glued the metal piece where it was supposed to sit. Just like that, working again. If anyone ever runs into that problem and needs more detailed instructions, send me a PM.

Thank you

Hey running into same problem can you detail more about how you did this, does the circuit board pop out?

CutthroatSlam 02-20-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamSnacks (Post 3751932)
2011 Limited

Thanks

I know you got it fixed, but just so you know, there are other options than Toyota’s $120 switch:

Motosupply A Pair Rectangle Hi-Off-Low Seat Heater Switch Left and Right Heat Control Switch

Captain Spalding 02-20-2023 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutthroatSlam (Post 3784842)
I know you got it fixed, but just so you know, there are other options than Toyota’s $120 switch:

Motosupply A Pair Rectangle Hi-Off-Low Seat Heater Switch Left and Right Heat Control Switch

Has anyone tried these? The rotary switches are annoyingly easy to turn on by accident and it might be worth the $20 to avoid the aggravation.

CutthroatSlam 02-20-2023 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Spalding (Post 3784843)
Has anyone tried these? The rotary switches are annoyingly easy to turn on by accident and it might be worth the $20 to avoid the aggravation.

They came with my seat heater kit and they work great.

Captain Spalding 02-21-2023 04:14 AM

They look good. Any idea how to mate them to the factory wiring? It says above that the factory switches aren’t wired the same.

CutthroatSlam 02-21-2023 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Spalding (Post 3784904)
They look good. Any idea how to mate them to the factory wiring? It says above that the factory switches aren’t wired the same.

No, but it should be easy to figure out. Post #184 has some pics of my wiring. It’s all simple plugs.

Seat Heater Install

Captain Spalding 02-22-2023 04:01 PM

Thanks. But judging by this wiring diagram, I’m going to have more wires than I know what to do with.

https://4rstatic.net/attachments/scr...pm-jpg.120193/