Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Tundra Alternator (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/306715-tundra-alternator.html)

psea17 08-08-2022 07:36 PM

Tundra Alternator

Wondering if there are any other toyota alternators that produce more voltage/amps and will fit our 3rd gen 4runners. Anyone know?

Sequoia?
Tundra?
Tacoma?
FJ?

JoeT4R 08-09-2022 10:58 AM

Unsure about other Toyota branded alternators, but the common upgrade for our rigs is the CS144. I don’t have one myself although I’m sure it’s a nice upgrade that should yield some better numbers and higher output.

psea17 08-09-2022 11:00 AM

want nothing to do w the rebuilt cs144 junk.

cl4Rk 08-09-2022 11:51 AM

Tundra Alternator

@psea17 the Denso unit from a Suzuki Grand Vitara is a bolt in upgrade. You might have to drill a new bolt hole in the mount? Not sure but keep digging. I think @ToyotaBrah can elaborate.

From Crudrunner on TacomaWorld:
“3rd gen 4Runner, just replaced my dying stock Denso Alternator with the Grand Vitara DENSO2100461, so far stoked on it.”

Source:
1st gen 105 amp bolt in alternator. | Page 15 | Tacoma World

psea17 08-09-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl4Rk (Post 3752202)
@psea17 the Denso unit from a Suzuki Grand Vitara is a bolt in upgrade. You might have to drill a new bolt hole in the mount? Not sure but keep digging. I think @ToyotaBrah can elaborate.

“3rd gen 4Runner, just replaced my dying stock Denso Alternator with the Grand Vitara DENSO2100461, so far stoked on it.”

Source:

Great Recommendation. Reading up on it now. Looks like you just drill out the hole where the adjuster bolt passes through the alternator bracket. Easy.

cl4Rk 08-09-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psea17 (Post 3752214)
Great Recommendation. Reading up on it now. Looks like you just drill out the hole where the adjuster bolt passes through the alternator bracket. Easy.

If you end up doing this, please consider adding a write up here. A lot of people would find this helpful. Thanks!!

ToyotaBrah 08-09-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl4Rk (Post 3752202)

Source:

Yes! The Grand Vitara alternator is an excellent, virtually drop-in upgrade. Both of the factory plugs are compatible with it. Baffles me that an odd ball Suzuki has a 105 amp alternator, but the 'Runner and Taco' were given an 80 amp, lol.

Last I checked online, they were on back order. I went to my nearest salvage yard some time back to see if I would have any luck getting one. The only Vitara there had its missing.

One thing to note and in that thread they expand on this, is that you should probably consider upgrading the positive and negative wiring to fully benefit from the additional power from this alternator.

Edit: still out of stock on RockAuto. Global Industries apparently shows in stock. Never heard of them...
Remanufactured DENSO First Time Fit Alternator, Denso 210-0461 | B2845661 - GLOBALindustrial.com

Riceye 08-09-2022 05:29 PM

This is on a different alternator post here on the forum. I really know nothing about it other than you can get up to 160A for $305, and...

Originally Posted by Scramble:
"I went with Quality Power, bolts right in, no mods like the GM."

Quality Power Alternators

phattyduck 08-09-2022 05:35 PM

The 95 amp equivalent (probably the non-cold weather option or something) Grand Vitara / XL7 alternator is available. That still 20% over the OEM rating and should still bolt on. Looks like the harnesses go in a slightly different location - haven't seen a picture of how that looks on the truck yet though.

-Charlie

brillo_76 08-09-2022 05:50 PM

You need to watch your wire gauge on the wire that goes from the charge post back over to the fuse box. Not only that but The fuse that drives it. You go above the late model 01 and 02 higher cap alt.. You are going to have to do some modifications to the system. Maybe you are aware of this. I just wanted to mention it. :-)

gamefreakgc 08-09-2022 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3752278)
You need to watch your wire gauge on the wire that goes from the charge post back over to the fuse box. Not only that but The fuse that drives it. You go above the late model 01 and 02 higher cap alt.. You are going to have to do some modifications to the system. Maybe you are aware of this. I just wanted to mention it. :-)

Thanks for bringing this up. It is not a good idea to put a 105 amp alternator in with the stock 100 amp fuse still in use. If that fuse blows you're dead in the water. I know that 96-98 have the 100A, can't remember if 99-00 does as well.

brillo_76 08-09-2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgc (Post 3752310)
Thanks for bringing this up. It is not a good idea to put a 105 amp alternator in with the stock 100 amp fuse still in use. If that fuse blows you're dead in the water. I know that 96-98 have the 100A, can't remember if 99-00 does as well.

1996-1998 alt fuse 100amp
1999-2002 alt fuse 120 amp

If anyone exceeds these amperage the fuse is going to pop.

This is why I never really understood these big 3 upgrades??

Unless your changing the engine swap with v8 etc yes.

If you want a bigger alt you watch your charge wire and fuse that drives it.
you need to modify the wire gauge as well and a higher amp fuse.

I suggest that if anyone goes over 120 amp ( on 1992 to 2002) , or 100Amp on the (1996 -1998) I would upgrade that wire and fuse and then that wire from the fuse to the battery as well.

This is just to add to gamefreakgc information. :-)

gamefreakgc 08-09-2022 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3752313)
1996-1998 alt fuse 100amp
1999-2002 alt fuse 120 amp

If anyone exceeds these amperage the fuse is going to pop.

This is why I never really understood these big 3 upgrades??

Unless your changing the engine swap with v8 etc yes.

If you want a bigger alt you watch your charge wire and fuse that drives it.
you need to modify the wire gauge as well and a higher amp fuse.

I suggest that if anyone goes over 120 amp ( on 1992 to 2002) , or 100Amp on the (1996 -1998) I would upgrade that wire and fuse and then that wire from the fuse to the battery as well.

This is just to add to gamefreakgc information. :-)

I did the Big Three in a way that keeps the stock alternator wiring and adds a second one. That way there's now two positive power wires, one is fused at 100A and the other 120A. The way the power flows it'll always flow evenly between the two so neither will ever see the whole ~130A from the CS144 alternator, more like 65A tops per wire, if that makes sense.

brillo_76 08-09-2022 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgc (Post 3752328)
I did the Big Three in a way that keeps the stock alternator wiring and adds a second one. That way there's now two positive power wires, one is fused at 100A and the other 120A. The way the power flows it'll always flow evenly between the two so neither will ever see the whole ~130A from the CS144 alternator, more like 65A tops per wire, if that makes sense.

Sure it does. As electricy takes the path of least resistance.

Now if your running a pile of accessories then yes a 2nd fuse box.
Then a 2nd wire to the accessories box and 100 Amp fuse powering your 2nd box. With a 2nd ground to those circuits. That's what the larger alternatures would be good for.

I can see this in 3rd gens used for winches and camping accessories. As they need more energy.

I just hope those upgrading to really high Amp alternatives are understooding what they need to do. I just not want to see folks blowing fuses. :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

shadow247 08-10-2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3752333)
Sure it does. As electricy takes the path of least resistance.

Now if your running a pile of accessories then yes a 2nd fuse box.
Then a 2nd wire to the accessories box and 100 Amp fuse powering your 2nd box. With a 2nd ground to those circuits. That's what the larger alternatures would be good for.

I can see this in 3rd gens used for winches and camping accessories. As they need more energy.

I just hope those upgrading to really high Amp alternatives are understooding what they need to do. I just not want to see folks blowing fuses. :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

My only reason for exploring the CS144 upgrade is the design of the alternator itself. I am on my 3rd alt in 2 years, always failing after playing in the mud. THE Toyota Alternator is WIDE open and packs up with mud and water easily. The CS144 is a closed case in the front that should theoretically prevent as much mud and debris from fouling the diodes and brushed....