Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Most comfortable suspension for street 5th gen? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/306976-most-comfortable-suspension-street-5th-gen.html)

gcon22 08-25-2022 04:06 PM

Most comfortable suspension for street 5th gen?

What is going to be the most comfortable suspension for a 5th gen SR5 Premium 2WD daily highway/city driving on all season tires, preferably no lift?

5thToy 08-26-2022 09:44 AM

In my opinion, the stock suspension.

fourwd1 08-26-2022 08:59 PM

With no lift you're pretty much stuck with stock.
If you're interested in a mild lift (2") go with Old Man Emu.
It will ride much better than new, that's their specialty.

EDC4rnr 08-31-2022 12:36 PM

For stock suspension maybe just upgrade the front and rear bumpstops. It was a noticeable change in the ride in front when I installed the energy suspension (8.9104G). I’m thinking if you go with something like the sumo springs bump stop in the rear you would get a smooth soft ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LunarRock07 09-27-2022 07:36 AM

I do about 80% road/highway driving.
I went with Bilstein 6112/5160 on the lowest setting.
My goal was to level the front and mitigate the horrendous nose dive during emergency braking.
I am very pleased with the changes thus far.

<<<< 10-01-2022 10:03 AM

I mostly drive on road. Just did Fox 2.0 at stock height (have KDSS). Even at the premium price compared to Bilsteins I'd do it again. Night and day compared to stock. Stock has lot of soft bounce and nose dive and not good for handling. Bilsteins are awesome if budget is an issue. If not - get Fox

NorthernSailor 03-07-2023 10:23 AM

Elka, maybe?

I typically put a lot of miles on my vehicles (lots of twisty mountain highway driving and forest service roads), and have ruined the ride quality of more than one by replacing the stock suspension (they also usually provided a lift).

This time, due to height restrictions, I'm not lifting, and am also trying something new. Later this month I'm getting a set of Elka 2.0 IFP struts installed on my Runner, set at 1" to remove a little of the rake, and keeping the stock rear coils and shocks. Elka was one of the few companies I found that have a no lift option.

I didn't necessarily find the stock suspension uncomfortable, but I do find the amount of nose dive under braking hard to get used to, and would like to see that disappeared at least a little. Eventually I will have full skid plates and likely a steel low profile bumper with full hoop, so also hoping it will ride well once that weight is on