Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Clarification on Bilstein 5100's in front. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/307057-clarification-bilstein-5100s-front.html)

Planetcat 08-31-2022 04:27 PM

Clarification on Bilstein 5100's in front.

Hopefully quick question:

I run the 5100's on my Grand Cherokee and am familiar with how they work. However, I am wanting to just stop the nose diving without removing the rear rake (carry heavy hunting equipment in rear cargo). It doesn't seem that anyone (Dobinsons, Bilstein, OME, etc.) make stiffer springs at stock height. So...

1. Do I just put the 5100's in with the stock springs and will reduce nose dive, or

2. Do I just put the shortest new springs I can find (prob Bilstein) on the OE shocks, or

3. Do I put both and figure out how to keep a bit of rake in the back for heavy load leveling.

My loads are not heavy enough to warrant air bags in the back, and I know I could always add a spacer. But I am trying not to void my warranty either. Rig is brand new 2022 TRD ORP.

Thanks in advance.

JoshDub 08-31-2022 04:33 PM

Bilsteins with stock springs will reduce nose dive. They are all around better than the stock shocks

<<<< 09-01-2022 07:45 AM

Bilsteins front and back with stock springs will take care of sponginess and nose dive. Firestone in-spring air bags will help you level out while towing. As a bonus you will have on-board air compressor. Assuming your rig has no KDSS that's what I would do.

Double Dubya 09-01-2022 09:13 AM

I put 5100's on the rear of my 4Runner first and drove it that way for a while before doing the fronts. I was surprised at how doing that decreased the nose dive. Well, not the front going down but reducing the rise of the rear end was quite noticeable.

Planetcat 09-01-2022 03:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I pulled the trigger on some 5100's shocks-only and will use the stock springs on them. I appreciate the fast feedback. Cheers. :-)

Planetcat 09-01-2022 04:02 PM

What's with the "lean" on the driver's side?

I need to take a mulligan on this thread. What's with the lean on the driver's side? Do I need to put a spacer or adjust my driver's side bilstein shock up a notch? Non-KDSS rig. Thanks.

BobsTrail 09-01-2022 07:01 PM

Gas tank on the left side with the driver. Some put a 1/4 spacer on the front left side. I do not notice it on my 2013 TE with 4 5100's and the front set to 0.85.
I think the new 6100's can be set one notch higher on the front left side to help this.

Planetcat 09-13-2022 02:31 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. Installed 5100’s with oe springs today in front, Rancho RS9000’s in the rear. Although they haven’t fully settled in yet, seem to handle better, more on road stability, reduced nose dive,etc. Nice upgrade. A bit of a PITA to install though.