Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Blowing Alternators (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/307163-blowing-alternators.html)

307Vintage 09-06-2022 07:29 PM

Blowing Alternators

This is a very unproud moment to post about. About two years ago I crossed the jumper cables on my 98 Runner. It, of course, blew the amp fuse, ruined the battery and shortly after I had to replace the alternator. Since that time I have replaced 3 alternators and the third is needing to be replaced as I search for solutions. I just replaced it 3 months ago. (A side note, after the event my dome light stopped working, until the following winter with 20 degree below zero days when it started working again, until the heat of the following summer when it quit and has not worked since.) Can anyone tell me what is going on and what I should look at? Thanks.

214RUNNER 09-06-2022 08:46 PM

I would set aside a few weeks of checking every wire & connection burnt wires and connections power & ground wires wires to fuse box every thing front to back. Or get a new wiring harness either one is expensive and time consuming.

Bad Luck 09-07-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 307Vintage (Post 3757795)
This is a very unproud moment to post about. About two years ago I crossed the jumper cables on my 98 Runner. It, of course, blew the amp fuse, ruined the battery and shortly after I had to replace the alternator. Since that time I have replaced 3 alternators and the third is needing to be replaced as I search for solutions. I just replaced it 3 months ago. (A side note, after the event my dome light stopped working, until the following winter with 20 degree below zero days when it started working again, until the heat of the following summer when it quit and has not worked since.) Can anyone tell me what is going on and what I should look at? Thanks.

What brand alternators are you using? If it's not a denso alternator then that's your problem. Parts store alternators are known to have a very short life for us.

307Vintage 09-07-2022 09:08 AM

Car Quest brand.

Bad Luck 09-07-2022 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 307Vintage (Post 3757890)
Car Quest brand.

That's your issue. Get a Denso alternator.

307Vintage 09-07-2022 09:41 AM

If it’s that simple I’m buying you a beer, or Fresca. Your choice. I’ll get one ordered today. Thanks.

Bad Luck 09-07-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 307Vintage (Post 3757900)
If it’s that simple I’m buying you a beer, or Fresca. Your choice. I’ll get one ordered today. Thanks.

You're welcome! No need for refreshments, but I appreciate the sentiment

19963.4lsr5 09-07-2022 10:11 AM

Blowing Alternators

Quote:

You can also order a brush set from Toyota for around 25 dollars and instal them yourself. And save some money.

As long as you have a Japan spec Phillips screwdriver it’s easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brillo_76 09-07-2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

It Honesty, could be that simple. The aftermarket alts are extremely bad.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

307Vintage 09-07-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3757906)
You can also order a brush set from Toyota for around 25 dollars and instal them yourself. And save some money.

As long as you have a Japan spec Phillips screwdriver it’s easy.

On the brush set, just call up the dealer and order a brush set? Or do you have a recommendation on an online vendor? Also the Screw driver, what is my starting spot on looking one of those up? Thanks fellas.

brillo_76 09-07-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 307Vintage (Post 3757928)
On the brush set, just call up the dealer and order a brush set? Or do you have a recommendation on an online vendor? Also the Screw driver, what is my starting spot on looking one of those up? Thanks fellas.

The screw drivers are JIS Phillips. Probably Amazon for a set of those.

On the brush set. The dealer Probably be able hook you up with those. I don't have the part numbers handy

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

RandyBobandy 09-07-2022 12:11 PM

Since you already have an aftermarket alternator I’d just get a denso from rock auto, the dome light could be totally unrelated just check all your fuses for corrosion, check the bulb socket in the light itself, and any plugs for corrosion

307Vintage 09-07-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBobandy (Post 3757934)
Since you already have an aftermarket alternator I’d just get a denso from rock auto, the dome light could be totally unrelated just check all your fuses for corrosion, check the bulb socket in the light itself, and any plugs for corrosion

I just placed my order. Thanks

3bears 09-07-2022 01:45 PM

I agree most autoparts store ones are junk, I stick with Denso. I have a spare on my shelf that I put new brushes in...just if needed.

While waiting for your new alternator, i would go through and clean up all my grounds. There is one ground on the back of the engine to the firewall that often gets neglected and if I remember, its not a very large gauge wire.
I have run the big 3 on a previous 4runner. my current one I am just running an extra ground from the body to the alternator bracket, using the bolt that holds the dip stick tube., to the fender, same place battery ground goes to. I think I ran a 6gauge ( what I had around) . Figured cant hurt to have an extra ground..
I had seen something similar on a friends 4runner and he ran one to the air intake where there are other grounds connected ( driver side above front spark plug) but he went direct to his battery.

19963.4lsr5 09-07-2022 02:22 PM

Blowing Alternators

Quote:

Originally Posted by 307Vintage (Post 3757928)

If you ride a Japanese motorcycle you have one in your tool kit.

Reman Alts could be 70a or 80a. You need to identify which one before ordering.

When I bought my 97 SR5 project it had a CarQuest Alt and the cheep brushes in it lasted about 3 years before they were little nubs. It was the 80a model so I ordered a set from my local dealer. Their price was within 2 dollars of Internet pricing.

Edit: your CarQuest Alt is still a factory Denso Alt, it was just rebuilt by someone other than Denso.

All the OEM parts will fit in your CarQuest Alt.