Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   ECGS Toyota 7.5" Front Differential Regear w/ Eaton E-Locker Install (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/307172-ecgs-toyota-7-5-front-differential-regear-w-eaton-e-locker-install.html)

mtbtim 09-07-2022 02:21 PM

ECGS Toyota 7.5" Front Differential Regear w/ Eaton E-Locker Install

I thought I was done creating new threads for the videos I produce with my buddy Sean and others because there doesn't seem to be much interest in them on this forum like there use to be. But, I figured it will make the content we create easier to find, so I'll continue to do it.

Here is another total gift from Chase Perry, the CEO of East Coast Gear Supply. If you are interested at all in the mechanics of our front 7.5" clamshell differentials, you'll find this video very educational. Also, if you think one day you'd like to install a front locker, you'll witness the intricacies of installing an Eaton (Harrop) E-Locker.

We shot this video the day after we shot the rear 8" differential regear/rebuild video. Since Chase did a very complete job covering everything you need to know about rebuilding a differential in that video, he didn't bother reinventing the wheel and cover a lot of the same material when making this video. The rear 8" differential video is a good foundation of knowledge before you watch this front diff video. Here's a link to the rear diff video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-GN-1bgZwU&feature=youtu.be

I will have a video coming out soon that shows how to wire the Eaton E-Locker so stay tuned for that one.

Here's the video. Hope you Dudes appreciate the tech shared.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sUzVndDO8To" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

t

JohnMc 09-07-2022 03:40 PM

I'd be curious to get a driving impression. If the unlocking/relocking between forward and reverse is actually a 'thing', or if it really doesn't matter out on the trail.

I'll be putting a locker on the front of mine at some point, I'm intrigued by the Eatons, but the ARB is the old standard.

shadow247 09-07-2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3757967)
I thought I was done creating new threads for the videos I produce with my buddy Sean and others because there doesn't seem to be much interest in them on this forum like there use to be. But, I figured it will make the content we create easier to find, so I'll continue to do it.

Here is another total gift from Chase Perry, the CEO of East Coast Gear Supply. If you are interested at all in the mechanics of our front 7.5" clamshell differentials, you'll find this video very educational. Also, if you think one day you'd like to install a front locker, you'll witness the intricacies of installing an Eaton (Harrop) E-Locker.

We shot this video the day after we shot the rear 8" differential regear/rebuild video. Since Chase did a very complete job covering everything you need to know about rebuilding a differential in that video, he didn't bother reinventing the wheel and cover a lot of the same material when making this video. The rear 8" differential video is a good foundation of knowledge before you watch this front diff video. Here's a link to the rear diff video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-GN-1bgZwU&feature=youtu.be

I will have a video coming out soon that shows how to wire the Eaton E-Locker so stay tuned for that one.

Here's the video. Hope you Dudes appreciate the tech shared.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sUzVndDO8To" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

t

Your videos are always great Tim! I hope you continue to make them. I'm subscribed on 3 different Youtube accounts, but I don't seem to get any notifications or popups when new videos drop... weird.

GhostRing 09-07-2022 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3757967)
Hope you Dudes appreciate the tech shared

Tim,
There would be far less 3rd Gens happily buzzing around (Mine included!) if it wasn't for your efforts. Hopefully the shifting forum dynamic doesn't sour your spirit.

mtbtim 09-07-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMc (Post 3757977)
I'd be curious to get a driving impression. If the unlocking/relocking between forward and reverse is actually a 'thing', or if it really doesn't matter out on the trail.

I'll be putting a locker on the front of mine at some point, I'm intrigued by the Eatons, but the ARB is the old standard.

I don't think it takes much to get them to engage. I've seen the videos comparing ARB air lockers to Eaton's E-locker and they are clearly trying to steer people to air lockers. In those videos, they failed to talk about some of the issues people have with the ARBs and it's not just air line failures or leaks. I can't remember the issues though. I think it was issues with the seals that was a common gripe about them.

A person I respect highly in the Toyota industry that runs a shop was the person who steered me towards the Eaton. He said hands down the Eaton was a better way to go over the ARB.

mtbtim 09-07-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostRing (Post 3758004)
Tim,
There would be far less 3rd Gens happily buzzing around (Mine included!) if it wasn't for your efforts. Hopefully the shifting forum dynamic doesn't sour your spirit.

Well, my opinion of this forum has shifted some but my spirit is strong to continue creating helpful content. It's too bad the level of contribution on this forum has dropped significantly over the years.

RandyBobandy 09-07-2022 07:15 PM

I bet if Timmy the tool man did all his videos in a banana hammock they would all hit a million views in under a day

Devbot 09-07-2022 08:03 PM

Spending some money lately, are we? :lol:
As much as I like air lockers I agree in that having one in our front end wouldn't be the best, purely because they're such a PITA to remove if something ever goes wrong. If we were solid axle with a completely open front end it might be a different story, but alas, we are not
Honestly if our rear diffs weren't so dang simple and easy I probably would've gone a different route there too, but thankfully that's not the case

4x3Lander 09-07-2022 08:10 PM

Thanks again for the work you did with them Tim! I will watch the video tonight for sure. Look forward to it!

RandyBobandy 09-07-2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3758069)
As much as I like air lockers I agree in that having one in our front end wouldn't be the best, purely because they're such a PITA to remove if something ever goes wrong. If we were solid axle with a completely open front end it might be a different story, but alas, we are not
Honestly if our rear diffs weren't so dang simple and easy I probably would've gone a different route there too, but thankfully that's not the case

Maybe I’m weird but I’d much rather pull the front diff than the rear, first time I did a front I was shocked at how easy it was compared to the rear

mtbtim 09-07-2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3758069)

Well, I got a deal on the work and parts from ECGS. But, the money I saved was less than the cost to fly myself and my buddy Thanh out to North Carolina, rent a vehicle, lodging for 3 nights and meals. My goal wasn't really a savings on the diff work but rather getting the content to share on our channel. These videos are something I've been wanting to film for a few years and I'm glad Chase agreed to let me film them at his facility. ECGS is pretty much the leader in the gear and axle industry so it was the perfect company to partner with.

mtbtim 09-07-2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBobandy (Post 3758076)
Maybe I’m weird but I’d much rather pull the front diff than the rear, first time I did a front I was shocked at how easy it was compared to the rear

Yeah, I think you are weird. You're the first person I've heard say they think pulling the front is easy.

I found the rear is much easier to remove.

mtbtim 09-07-2022 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBobandy (Post 3758052)
I bet if Timmy the tool man did all his videos in a banana hammock they would all hit a million views in under a day

I think that would scare more people than it would attract. I'm no Calvin Klein model.

brillo_76 09-07-2022 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3758084)
Yeah, I think you are weird. You're the first person I've heard say they think pulling the front is easy.

I found the rear is much easier to remove.

I saw Randy do it at junk yard. He really had the front diff out relatively quickly. Randy is Randy he is unique is in own way.

brillo_76 09-07-2022 09:17 PM

I did watch the video. It was very thoughtful of the CEO to spend 2 days with your crew to video the both the front and rear.

The front does look a lot harder to do then the rear because of its design. ECGS is defiantly the professionals for your differential needs.

Granted, it could be done by the DIY... At least ECGS be there if you buy the parts from them to do the project. :-)