Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   P340 fixed but still stalling (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/307365-p340-fixed-but-still-stalling.html)

Lamer 09-19-2022 07:30 PM

P340 fixed but still stalling

Howdy all.
a few times now i've had the vehicle shut down on me when I slow to a stop. at first it also triggered a check engine light [P340 - camshaft position sensor]. So I promptly replaced that and got going again.

Today on my way to work it stalled again but no check engine light. I have really no idea what to do. I have bought a new fuel filter to install later this week. but maybe injectors?

There is no lag when accelerating, and no funny shifting when going through gears (automatic).

When I come to a stop, I watch the rpms as they drop. its hit or miss but sometimes it drops to 525 and sometimes its 650 (is it should be). when it gets to 525 it sort of oscillates and sometimes dies.

Can anyone help me here?

Zhehan 09-19-2022 07:56 PM

Did you clean the Throttle Body lately?

brillo_76 09-19-2022 08:14 PM

So it's not like manual clutch not being pushed in and hard stop. The engine rpm just fall off and stull. I probably clean the throttle body and the iac valve most likely your cause

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Lamer 09-19-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3760382)
So it's not like manual clutch not being pushed in and hard stop. The engine rpm just fall off and stull. I probably clean the throttle body and the iac valve most likely your cause

correct, rpms just fall off to zero.
This is a much more time efficient option. i'll try to get that done this week. thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhehan (Post 3760377)
Did you clean the Throttle Body lately?

Indeed will try this. thanks!

Lamer 09-20-2022 03:31 PM

Ok, throttle body cleaned. will see hoe confident I am on my way to work tomorrow.

Lamer 09-20-2022 05:38 PM

well just picked up my daughter from day care and it stalled again, with the P0340 code again!
- it's a new (not OEM) camshaft position sensor! not happy.

Also, after cleaning the throttle body, it idles at 900rpm now but think that will just level out over time?

Zhehan 09-20-2022 07:12 PM

The reason I asked about cleaning the throttle body recently was it can cause issues like you're experiencing when debris fall into the IAC valve. This is a common problem when cleaning your TB. There are many threads about this issue. The high Idle you're experiencing now means you have debris in the IAC valve because you cleaned your TB. You're going to need to clean out the IAC valve to restore a normal idle speed.

The other symptoms you are experiencing related to the p0340 code are also symptomatic of IAC valve issues and throttle body issues. That's why we brought that subject up.

However, your main issue seems pretty specific to your Cam Position Sensor. The information you provided today I made that more apparent.

Having said that here is a thorough look at the p0340 code you are experiencing:

https://www.way.com/blog/p0340-error...shaft%20timing.

RandyBobandy 09-20-2022 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamer (Post 3760617)
- it's a new (not OEM) camshaft position sensor! not happy.

That’s most likely your issue, get an oem sensor

brillo_76 09-20-2022 08:16 PM

Also verify that wire harness to the cam sensor is good. Alot of times they deteriorate and need replaced as well...:(

spartacus 09-20-2022 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check the resistance is in spec.

Lamer 10-02-2022 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhehan (Post 3760649)
The reason I asked about cleaning the throttle body recently was it can cause issues like you're experiencing when debris fall into the IAC valve. This is a common problem when cleaning your TB. There are many threads about this issue. The high Idle you're experiencing now means you have debris in the IAC valve because you cleaned your TB. You're going to need to clean out the IAC valve to restore a normal idle speed.

The other symptoms you are experiencing related to the p0340 code are also symptomatic of IAC valve issues and throttle body issues. That's why we brought that subject up.

However, your main issue seems pretty specific to your Cam Position Sensor. The information you provided today I made that more apparent.

Having said that here is a thorough look at the p0340 code you are experiencing:

https://www.way.com/blog/p0340-error...shaft%20timing.

thanks for this, bookmarked.
the idle has actually come down to ~600 over a few days and seems to be holding. so far much more reliable. I plan on cleaning the entire intake from MAF to TB and IAC when I have time. (and replace fuel filter)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBobandy (Post 3760663)
That’s most likely your issue, get an oem sensor

if I need to I will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3760669)
Also verify that wire harness to the cam sensor is good. Alot of times they deteriorate and need replaced as well...:(

ya didnt get a good look at this. i'll check when I go back in

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3760677)
Check the resistance is in spec.

saw this on the toolmans videos, everything checks out.

spartacus 10-03-2022 11:19 AM

Crank shaft gear could have a broken tooth.

diverscale 10-03-2022 10:23 PM

Also, ensure you disassembled your idle air control valve from the t/b. The problem is the valve, not the t/b

I had the same issue, finally fixed it using Seafoam throttle body cleaner, as it leaves a highly lubricating ''residue'', which you don't clean.

I let the valve assembly sit in the thing for a night and cleaned it good.

Now just have to ''add'' seafoam t/b cleaner before every winter, 1 time a year, to keep the problem away. I just dismantle the piping and shoot it directly in the IAC opening before the throttle plate and then start the truck.

I didn't get your cam sensor code with the stalling though

Lamer 10-29-2022 02:57 PM

thanks all for the comments.

The car was running great for a little while and now I have 3 codes

P0340 / P0130 / P0133

P0340 - I'll probably go back and install the OEM sensor from the factory knowing that the aftermarket one isn't the fix but was cleaning the IAC valve. that salved my idle issue. i'll give the IAC another good clean anyways.

P0130 / P0133 - already have new O2 sensors on order.

should be a fun weekend, just not sure which weekend that will be.

theriddler 11-02-2022 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamer (Post 3760369)
Howdy all.
a few times now i've had the vehicle shut down on me when I slow to a stop. at first it also triggered a check engine light [P340 - camshaft position sensor]. So I promptly replaced that and got going again.

Today on my way to work it stalled again but no check engine light. I have really no idea what to do. I have bought a new fuel filter to install later this week. but maybe injectors?

There is no lag when accelerating, and no funny shifting when going through gears (automatic).

When I come to a stop, I watch the rpms as they drop. its hit or miss but sometimes it drops to 525 and sometimes its 650 (is it should be). when it gets to 525 it sort of oscillates and sometimes dies.

Can anyone help me here?

I'll take a stab at your problem since I've been researching this as well for my vehicle. Mine 4runner doesn't die though, it has a miss if i take off fast and when letting off the throttle when driving down the road, the rpms will take a dive and then come back up to normal. It's never died and is totally driveable but it is annoying. I plan on tackling this issue when i replace the timing belt, water pump, etc.

It could possibly be a crank gear that has a worn keyway. This video explains it...
One Reason why the Toyota 3.4 liter Engine is Sluggish on Throttle part 1 - YouTube
One Reason why the Toyota 3.4 liter Engine is Sluggish on Throttle FIX part 2 - YouTube

Another issue can be the cam sensor getting wet so check for any coolant leaks around the cam sensor. I have 1st hand experience with this, we had a 2002 4runner that we had the timing belt replaced on and shortly after getting it back it began to stall out. I noticed a slight coolant leak getting the cam sensor wet so i sprayed it off with contact cleaner and the vehicle immediately ran better. The mechanic fixed the leak and all was fine after that.

Good luck to you, please post us the fix when you find it