Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   TPMS sensors: to replace or not to replace, that is the question..... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/307423-tpms-sensors-replace-not-replace-question.html)

rwh963 09-23-2022 06:33 PM

TPMS sensors: to replace or not to replace, that is the question.....

my '07 has original sensors. dash light has been on for a long time. putting new tires on soon. considering replacing, or not replacing. dense sensors run about $30 x 5 = $150. dealer said they would need to be programmed at a cost of $160. so, $300 bucks just too tell me i need some air in my tire??

thinking about passing, but concerned that this is not just an individual system, but possibly interconnected through the ABS module with VSC, TRAC, etc. anyone know about this?

AuSeeker 09-24-2022 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwh963 (Post 3761213)
my '07 has original sensors. dash light has been on for a long time. putting new tires on soon. considering replacing, or not replacing. dense sensors run about $30 x 5 = $150. dealer said they would need to be programmed at a cost of $160. so, $300 bucks just too tell me i need some air in my tire??

thinking about passing, but concerned that this is not just an individual system, but possibly interconnected through the ABS module with VSC, TRAC, etc. anyone know about this?

NO, the TPMS is only about tire pressure info not connected to any other system.

rwh963 09-24-2022 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3761266)
NO, the TPMS is only about tire pressure info not connected to any other system.

i'll speak to service to confirm that. if so, i may pass and devote those $$ to other mechanical repairs. thx.

zguy1 09-24-2022 08:43 AM

I like having the TPMS system. It’s a stand alone system as mentioned earlier. When I got a different set of wheels, I was able to find a used set online for $100. A friend of mine had an Autel TPMS tool that I used to program them. Took about 10 minutes.

rwh963 09-24-2022 12:32 PM

spoke to service. confirmed it is a dummy system. now, do i cut a 1/2 inch piece of black tape to cover the light, or do i spend $300+ replacing 5 sensors? also, would i just re-use the current valve sensor, or put in old school valve stem?

AuSeeker 09-24-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwh963 (Post 3761305)
spoke to service. confirmed it is a dummy system. now, do i cut a 1/2 inch piece of black tape to cover the light, or do i spend $300+ replacing 5 sensors? also, would i just re-use the current valve sensor, or put in old school valve stem?

Maybe you can ask the service department on both of your questions.

stompbox1791 09-24-2022 06:20 PM

I don't know if anyone has done this before. Could we just remove the LED/bulb in the dash that lights up?

UZmattman 09-24-2022 06:33 PM

I just live with the light for the three seasons with my Tacoma wheels and tires. In the winter I'm back to the original rims and winter snow/ice tires with the TPMS and the light is out.

I've learned that some things on an older vehicle are not worth fussing about and spending $$$. If it's 30C I'll be happy to use my tire pressure gauge and check tire pressure, and air up the tire/tires.

When it's minus 30C, I want my TPMS to tell me I need to air up my tires. Life changes when you're stooping down and trying to get an air hose onto a tire valve at night... with a wind chill. Better to know you have a tire pressure problem in extreme cold vs a mild summer day.

88skisupreme 01-14-2023 10:00 AM

I'm pondering the same thing, but I' more concerned about the valve stem part. They are original on my 08, could get a new set on amazon for under $50 but I'd have to re-program.

I guess the question is, do the stems need to be replaced with any regularity or should I just do the battery swap on the old ones. Wouldnt have to worry about reprogramming but the valves would be old.

Boort 01-14-2023 11:58 AM

@88skisupreme @stompbox1791

One on my 06 battery died a few months ago. So far Black tape on the dash for me. My scanguage tells me that it's TPMS #4 that has died though I have no clue which tire that is :D. All 5 are full so I just pull out the trusty wand and make sure they stay that way same as I have for all of my other rigs since I learned to drive.

I'll leave it that way till either I get enough time to bother with the TPMS bypass done by others on this forum (See: Write-up: How to Disable (Bypass) the TPMS or 2008 TPMS bypass ) or I need to have the tires removed from the rims for another reason when I'll have new ones put in. Which ever comes first. The bypass is likely MUCH easier than pulling the dash to remove the bulb. Though given the prevalence for the bulbs in the rest of this rig's dash and AC controls to go out it may just burn out from being on then you don't need to worry about it. ;)

Boort

Jerome2k 01-20-2023 03:23 PM

$300 is crazy

thegame7 01-21-2023 12:18 AM

I got tired of dealing with the light so I pulled the bulb, had the sensors removed and put regular valve stems in. Problem solved

rwh963 01-22-2023 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88skisupreme (Post 3779135)
I'm pondering the same thing, but I' more concerned about the valve stem part. They are original on my 08, could get a new set on amazon for under $50 but I'd have to re-program.

I guess the question is, do the stems need to be replaced with any regularity or should I just do the battery swap on the old ones. Wouldnt have to worry about reprogramming but the valves would be old.

i asked my shop about the older stems. they said they wouldn't worry about them holding air (and have never had an issue since '07!). could have swapped out for standard stems, but stayed with the dead TPMS. light be damned!

First 4Runner 01-23-2023 10:12 AM

Go to Sam's club and get them done. IIRC, my last 4th gen, had a TPMS light on and they said that the batteries for one of mine were dead. They put in a new one and they also reset the system. This was probably around 4 years ago and was done for around $30 total I think at that time. But in any case, go to Sam's club to inquire. Much cheaper. My local Sam's Club is awesome.

gimlithepirate 01-23-2023 12:02 PM

There are instructions on this site for bypassing the TPMS sensors. Its a paperclip jumper between two pins on a plug by the glove box.

Costco will replace 4 Toyota sensors for about 260$ installed. Recently had to have this done on my dd Corolla.

My 4runner is an adventure mobile, so I just bypassed the TPMS. I spend lots of time aired down off road, and didn't want the stupid light blinking at me.

If its a DD, I'd get them replaced.