Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Clicking noise while turning (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/307443-clicking-noise-while-turning.html)

stevew092984 09-25-2022 04:23 AM

Clicking noise while turning

So I’ve noticed a clicking noise near my front drivers side tire area when I’m turning slowly left. Any idea of what this might be. Thanks

JoeT4R 09-25-2022 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew092984 (Post 3761417)
So I’ve noticed a clicking noise near my front drivers side tire area when I’m turning slowly left. Any idea of what this might be. Thanks

It could very likely be your CV axles. Do you have any rips to tears in your axle boot? Any other pertinent information you can provide?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

brillo_76 09-25-2022 07:45 AM

Clicking when in the at heavy turning is very classic sign of a failing CV joint. I had it full me once with a loose lug nuts. So I would thoroughly check everything out in that area then if everything else is good. Suspect the CV joint. +1 on possible CV joint issue.

jgue467 09-25-2022 08:22 AM

Lets hope its a rock stuck in your tire...

mtbtim 09-25-2022 09:47 AM

Another vote for a bad CV axle. The clicking is a classic sign of a worn joint. But, I've found it's usually the outside wheel on a turn is the one that will click because more pressure is on that tire. So, on a left turn, the right wheel will actually have more force being applied to it. On a right turn, the left wheel will have more force.

I'd check for wheel bearing play too. Jack up the wheel, grab it at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and push and pull with opposing force to feel for any play in the bearing.

If you determine it's the CV axle going bad, the video below will help you out. You can skip all the rebooting and boot stretch mod because if your axle is clicking, it is done and needs to be replaced.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vcCT4UgFUTw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

t

stompbox1791 09-25-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3761429)
Another vote for a bad CV axle. The clicking is a classic sign of a worn joint. But, I've found it's usually the outside wheel on a turn is the one that will click because more pressure is on that tire. So, on a left turn, the right wheel will actually have more force being applied to it. On a right turn, the left wheel will have more force.
t

Tim, is that because of shifting weight (as we turn left, the body leans right)?

brillo_76 09-25-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgue467 (Post 3761423)
Lets hope its a rock stuck in your tire...

That is a possibility as well.. Those little stones can tick pretty good. :-(

mtbtim 09-25-2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stompbox1791 (Post 3761442)
Tim, is that because of shifting weight (as we turn left, the body leans right)?

Yes, correct. When I had a CV start clicking on a Subaru Outback, I got in a parking lot and started turning tight radius turn both directions with the windows rolled down. I noticed on a tight left turn, I could hear the right CV clicking. On a tight right turn, I heard nothing.

stompbox1791 09-25-2022 03:30 PM

Thanks. Learned something new.

stevew092984 09-25-2022 11:39 PM

Does anyone know what the part number is for an oem cv axle? Was on a Toyota parts website and saw two parts listed as cv axle kits, but couldn’t tell the difference between the two. Quite a big price difference although.

stevew092984 09-26-2022 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3761429)

I'd check for wheel bearing play too. Jack up the wheel, grab it at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and push and pull with opposing force to feel for any play in the bearing.

If you determine it's the CV axle going bad, the video below will help you out. You can skip all the rebooting and boot stretch mod because if your axle is clicking, it is done and needs to be replaced.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vcCT4UgFUTw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

t

Definitely clicking from drivers side tire area when I turn hard left

jgue467 09-26-2022 08:27 AM

The kit is a rebuild kit, the click is here to stay, permanent damage. The kit will just keep dirt/mud out and keep it from getting worse yet click will stay.

The other is well the whole part, no more click and less change in your pocket, your choice.

stevew092984 09-26-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgue467 (Post 3761582)
The kit is a rebuild kit, the click is here to stay, permanent damage. The kit will just keep dirt/mud out and keep it from getting worse yet click will stay.

The other is well the whole part, no more click and less change in your pocket, your choice.

What comes with the kit?

jgue467 09-27-2022 09:25 AM

The rubber boot, clamps and grease. Lower priced kit is only one side, other is 2 sides. There are a couple rather poor images located here for an '01, dial in your MY to be sure.

FRONT DRIVE SHAFT. 2001 Toyota 4Runner LIMITED 4WD | Toyota

Zhehan 09-27-2022 04:19 PM

I bought the TrakMotive TO8043ET Extended Travel axles from O'Reilly's. My right CV was toast and there were no OEM axles available in North America. The track motive part is designed for these trucks that have been lifted. The OEM part is designed for a stock height truck.

My .02

Hope this helps.