Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rustbelt People - Do the Panhard Bar Bolts Seize in the Collar? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/307601-rustbelt-people-do-panhard-bar-bolts-seize-collar.html)

FD7683 10-05-2022 09:57 PM

Rustbelt People - Do the Panhard Bar Bolts Seize in the Collar?

As title states, my 4Runner is tail swinging just a slight bit and I would like to replace them with Energy Suspension but I would like to know first if the long bolt inside the collars seize up due to rust/age. I feel like my large Milwaukee 1/2" impact will get em out easy but I don't want to break something that's still fine. Not sure if I can just sawzall the bolts out to not waste time... not sure. Any one here successfully replace the bushings on the rusted out trucks as they age? Have a real bad experience with Hondas and bolt/collars seizing up but the Toyota rarely gets suspension worked on. Thanks.

- FD7683

Zhehan 10-05-2022 10:41 PM

I just replaced mine and the passenger side was seized. Driver's side was not. I cut the bolt with an angle grinder with a cutting disc. I used a ball joint press to push out the old bushings and also to install the new ones. I installed ES bushings which come with a new sleeve. I bought a new bolt for the passenger side.

162435 10-05-2022 11:37 PM

I d replaced those bushings a few times over the years, both with Energy Susp. as well as Whiteline. Any fastener I remove gets cleaned and slathered in antiseize before going back (the joy of life in the Mid-Atlantic).

Andreas

brillo_76 10-06-2022 09:43 AM

I had really good luck with those bolts coming out. I like others will clean and anti seize them to keep it that way. I have seen ones that you think oh boy that's not moving. Come apart. What really helps is their size as the 10mm or 12mm heads bolts can easily snap.

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

octanejunkie 10-06-2022 10:29 AM

Commercial bolts without flange head will have larger heads, and you can just add a hardened washer

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk